Shorts: maximum 40 minutes
Projects completed after 01-Mar-2014
PLACE OF ORIGIN
Projects may originate from anywhere in the world
No premiere requirement
Projects may have distribution
2 SUBMISSION COPIES REQUIRED
SUBMISSION COPY FORMATS
| Secure Online Screener|
SUBMISSION COPY LANGUAGES
A press kit is required, but only after acceptance.
PRIZES & AWARDS
This category is a competition.
SILVERDOCS Audience Award
A SILVERDOCS Audience Award will be presented to the best short documentary deemed most popular by Festival attendees. Documentaries completed before March 1, 2006 are not eligible for the Audience Award. Award-winning films receive additional screenings on the closing day of the Festival.
- The documentary must have been completed on or after March 1, 2014.
- Previously submitted documentaries will not be accepted, unless the film has undergone significant content changes (60% or more) and meets all other submission requirements.
- Feature documentaries are more than forty one (41) minutes. Shorts are forty (40) minutes or less, including all credits.
- If the documentary is in a language other than English, it must be subtitled or dubbed in English.
- Promotional, instructional or industrial films, and raw documentation of performances are not eligible.
- The documentary must not have been broadcast on television in the United States or screened theatrically in the United States prior to June 17, 2015.
- The documentary must not have screened publicly in the Washington, DC area prior to the Festival.
- Please submit two DVDs (Region 1 or Region-free NTSC or PAL) or a Secure Online Screener.
- Each DVD must have an individual outer case.
- All entries must be labeled with the title, running time, WAB tracking number, and contact information (contact name, e-mail and phone number). This information must be on the DVD itself and on the outer case.
- AFI DOCS will make every attempt to contact you if there is damage to an entry, but cannot be held responsible if entry is not considered due to poorly recorded or unplayable media.
- Please do not send submissions in fiber-filled envelopes, as the dust damages DVD players.
- Filmmakers may submit more than one documentary; each documentary must be accompanied by its own Entry Form and Entry Fee.
- All entries must be sent with prepaid shipping. Collect or C.O.D. (cash on delivery) shipments are not accepted. AFI DOCS will not assume responsibility or accept shipments incurring expenses for terminal charges, duties, taxes or customs brokerage. Please indicate on your shipping bill that all transportation and customs charges will be billed to the sender.
- The Entry Fee is non-refundable.
- DVDs and submitted materials will not be returned. Please do not send film prints, master tapes or other originals.
- If you require confirmation of receipt, please include a self-addressed stamped postcard.
- Submissions are made to and reviewed by representatives of AFI.
- All filmmakers will be notified of their status by May 11, 2015 via e-mail. Please keep us informed of any changes regarding your contact information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Due to the number of submissions, AFI DOCS cannot provide feedback on any entries.
- Questions regarding submissions. See AFI DOCS FAQs or E-mail email@example.com with "ENTRIES" in the subject line.
TERMS OF ENTRY:
By submitting this documentary, I understand that I am agreeing to the following:
- I own or control the copyright in and to, and am duly authorized to submit this documentary film to AFI DOCS Documentary Festival ("SILVERDOCS") and to the best of my knowledge, all statements on this document are true;
- This documentary is not subject to any claims or litigation and is not threatened by any claims or litigation;
- If this documentary is selected for screening at AFI DOCS, I grant AFI DOCS the right to screen this documentary at the Festival;
- I understand and agree that my film entry, if selected for the Festival, may be used for promotional purposes for the AFI DOCS Festival and/or its partners; and I grant AFI DOCS and its partners the rights to use footage, stills and/or titles and information from the film for such promotional purposes;
- Should this documentary win any award, I am authorized and/or empowered by all parties legally representing this entry to receive all cash prizes and awards and to distribute them appropriately;
- I fully indemnify and hold AFI DOCS and its partners harmless from: a) damage to or loss of the film print or videotapes en route to or from AFI DOCS or during the course of AFI DOCS' possession of the entry; and b) from any claims which may arise in connection with my documentary film.
If your documentary is selected to screen in the Festival, you will need to provide the following:
- Projection print or video by required deadline. Filmmaker is responsible for the delivery costs of the projection print or video, including any applicable customs fees. AFI DOCS will cover the costs of the return shipping after the Festival;
- Press kits, trailers, promotional materials and additional screeners for preview;
- Screener copies for the AFI DOCS Industry Screening Library (optional).
Please do not send these materials until your film is selected for the program.
Note: AFI DOCS has the right to change any information contained in this document (including Festival dates, venues, events, awards and eligibility requirements) without further notice.