Shorts: From 2 minutes to 20 minutes
Projects completed after 01-Feb-2013
PLACE OF ORIGIN
Projects must originate from USA
No premiere requirement
Project must not have distribution
SUBMISSION COPY FORMATS
| Secure Online Screener|
SUBMISSION COPY LANGUAGES
| .MOV (Quicktime)|
A press kit is required, but only after acceptance.
> Production Still Photos - Digital
> Photo of the Director - Digital
> Biography/Filmography - Director
> Biography/Filmography - Producer
> Biography/Filmography - Writer
> One-Sheet Art - Postcards
> One-Sheet Art - Fliers
> One-Sheet Art - Posters
PRIZES & AWARDS
This category is a competition.
2014 Winner recieved a one-year talent holding deal with NBC, Plantronics BackBeat GO2 Wireless Headphones w Charging Case, Apple iPad Mini Tablet with customized Smart Cover, Headshot featured in The Hollywood Reporter (THR)
2014 winner received an iPad with Zagg folio keyboard case, the latest version of Final Draft, plus special consideration for the Universal Pictures Emerging Writers Fellowship or Final Round Placement in the NBC Writers on the Verge, tix (2) to Final Draft Awards, tix (2) to WGA awards
The 2014 winning team received a sound package consisting of Pro Tools 11, an Apogee Mic, Plantronics BackBeat GO2 Wireless Headphones, plus an Avid Media Composer Editing Software Package.
This prize is shared with other categories.
Audience Choice Award
Offered to winner of live and/or online audience voting.
Awarded to Best Horror Short. 2014 Best Horror Director received a grant for $5,000 and an opportunity to be hired on as lead creative on Chiller Network Promo project
Sponsor:NBCUniversal, Chiller Network
• The writer, director, cast, or theme of the short must be diverse, either: ethnically, culturally, or of a diverse voice or community.
• Short films must qualify under one of the following narrative genres: Comedy, Drama, Horror, or Sci-Fi. Any Docs, Animations or Music Videos are not eligible.
• Shorts must be 2-20 minutes in length. All others are not eligible.
• Submitted works must have been completed more than 2 years prior the submission date (no earlier than February 23, 2013). Any film completed over 2 years prior is not eligible.
• Submitting parties must hold complete ownership and rights of submitted product.
• Submitting parties must be able to grant screening rights and online streaming rights.
• Only original works are accepted. Submissions are disqualified if based, in whole or in part, on pre-existing material, fictional or nonfiction, produced or un-produced, published or unpublished, unless such material was originally created and published/produced by the applicant, in another medium.
• This is a non-exclusive festival, meaning your films may have screened at other festivals prior to this one, and we do not prevent you from submitting to other festivals.
• Films with prior commercial distribution or broadcast within the US are NOT eligible to submit. In the case of small non-commercial, non-publicized showings, the committee reserves the right to waive this rule.
• In August, a semi-finalist screening will take place in New York City. Both director and writer will be invited to attend. Should they choose to attend this event, NBCUniversal will award one (1) airfare & accommodation to one representative. All other production team is invited but is responsible for their own travel and accommodations should they choose to attend.
• If selected to screen in the New York semi-finals in August, semi-finalists must provide their shorts in one of the following formats: DCP, HDCam (regular not SR) or QuickTime Pro Res 422.
• No revisions or updated versions will be accepted after the initial submission.
• An applicant may submit multiple separate entries.
• There is NO FEE for submitting a film to this festival.
• The 2015 submission window opens around February and closes approximately April.
• Withoutabox profiles will be noted with a confirmation of receipt within one week of arrival.
• The submitter of each film will be contacted & notified directly if they are selected as a semi-finalists & finalists. The submitter will have sole responsibility to contact & notify the writer, director, cast, producing parties, joint rights holders, etc.
• In October, the finalist screening will be held in Los Angeles. Both director and writer will be invited to attend. Should they choose to attend this event, NBCUniversal will award one (1) airfare & accommodation to one representative. All other production team is invited but is responsible for their own travel and accommodations should they choose to attend.
• In the event your project is selected as a finalist, you will be required to provide additional items, such as: trailer, poster artwork, still images from the film, revised synopses, short bios of writer, director and lead cast member and possibly social media handles & hashtags.
• NBCUniversal Short Film Festival reserves all right to cancel events & showcase screenings at its own discretion.