CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
|U.S. & International SHORT FILMS
|We welcome for submission to this category any film 40 minutes or less in length, including all credits; please note short films exceeding 30 minutes may be programmed in a category unique from 'Short Films'.
|U.S. & International DRAMATIC FEATURE
|We welcome for submission to this category any non-documentary dramatic feature length film.
|U.S. & International DOCUMENTARY
|We welcome for submission to this category any film that is a motion picture dealing creatively with any type of present day OR historical nonfiction subject. As defined by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, the film may be photographed in actual occurrence, or may employ partial reenactment, stock footage, stills, animation, stop-motion or other techniques, as long as the emphasis is on fact and not on fiction.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Intelligent story not only entertains and educates, but it truly can change the world. Nowhere is this truer than in the most influential city in the world. A new east coast destination location for film, the purpose of the Washington West Film Festival is to leverage the power of storytelling and filmmaking to inspire and capture the hearts and minds of our audiences who in turn can make lasting, tangible differences in our world - - so we uniquely give 100% of all box office net proceeds to projects committed to changing the circumstances of those in dire need around the world.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The 5th Annual Washington West Film Festival, October 21-25, 2015.
Anchored in the Washington, DC metropolitan area’s sophisticated technology and wine region, the Washington West Film Festival invites filmmakers, film lovers, industry professionals, and the media alike to experience a breathtaking autumn in and around one of the most influential places on earth. From historic Pennsylvania Avenue to the idyllic vineyards of Northern Virginia, we are set to screen some of the best films 2014 has to offer.
In our first four years, upon helping introduce the world to some of its favorite new films and earning attention from some of Hollywood’s biggest names, Washington West has emerged as a major up-and-coming film festival.Over the last thirty-six months, Washington West has hosted Q&A sessions with actor/director Frank Whaley, director Andrew Loo, actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus, writer/director Brad Hall, director Tom Shadyac, producer Ken Ferguson and director Mark Rydell. We’ve hosted films produced by Martin Scorsese, Tom Hanks and HBO.
Last year we welcomed back returning guests 7-time Emmy award winner and 2-time Golden Globe winning actor Ed Asner and award winning composer Snuffy Walden who took part in an in-depth and interactive "Behind the Scenes" Q&A along with first time guest, television and film voice actor Rodger Bumpass.
Our audiences were some of the first to hear Oscar winner Jeremy Irons lend his voice to the narration of The Majestic Plastic Bag, and to screen the Academy Award nominated film Kavi. In 2012 the stunning Buzkashi Boys was nominated for an Oscar of its own only two short months after screening as an Official Selection at Washington West.
In addition to catching the eye of those in the film industry, Washington West has also inspired sponsors like Audi and Hyatt Regency to join in our endeavor - with Audi’s North American Headquarters hosting a filmmaker networking event in 2012.
Very unique in the film industry is our passion, 'Story Can Change the World'. Selected films - with their diverse genres and themes - are the medium from which our audiences are invited to enter the world of story themselves. This is accomplished when the Festival gives 100% of box office net proceeds to projects dedicated to relieving hunger, disease, displacement, or poor education around the world. Of all the remarkable stories screened at Washington West, always the highlight and most inspiring is the annual story-project of hope our audiences make possible each year - simply by purchasing a ticket or pass to Washington West.
The most recent of these projects was presented during our 2014 Festival by singer-songwriter Robbie Schaefer. We are teaming up with his organization, One Voice, to use the proceeds from that festival to help with their goal of cultivating a world of whole, soulful citizens.
Our glamorous Closing Night Awards is not to be missed as both filmmakers and film lovers celebrate the power of story, and the artists and audiences who create them. With so much achieved in so little time, the 2015 Washington West Film Festival is not to be missed this fall.
Please refer to the following link related to Washington West’s 2011 project - the building of a theater in Haiti for children in extreme poverty, which serves as a community center by day: http://vimeo.com/33948561
FILM SUBMISSION DEADLINES:
March 15, 2015 – Early Deadline
April 30, 2015 – Regular Deadline
May 31, 2015 – Late Deadline
June 30, 2015 – Extended Deadline
Brad Russell (President, Executive Director); Brian Lutrey (Film Curator); Jodie Smith; Samantha Dols (Director of Festival Operations)
GENERAL TERMS OF SERVICE:
1. We accept nearly all genres of film and video. Please do not submit any pornographic or teenage exploitation films.
2. Washington West Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes, including for any future festivals. The Washington West Film Festival will not pay a fee for the use of a film submitted.
3. All screening tapes, press kits, publicity info, photos, etc. will be retained as part of the Washington West International Film Festival's library, unless they are specifically requested to be returned and return shipping cost is provided. These materials will be returned no later then 14 days after the last screening of the 2013 festival.
4. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
5. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless the Washington West International Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. We accept nearly all genres of film and video. By submitting a film to Washington West International Film Festival you are confirming that you have full authority to do so, and that you accept full legal responsibility for the intellectual property therein.
2. Washington West International Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival, for promotional purposes. The Washington West Film Festival will not pay a fee for the use of a film submitted.
3. Submitting your film to us constitutes permission to exhibit your work at the 2013 Washington West International Film Festival. If your film is accepted to be part of our 2013 festival exhibition, you will do your best to work with our programmers to have the Director and other key filmmakers (actors, screenwriters, producers, etc) attending the festival and interacting with our audience.
4. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless the Washington West International Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
We look forward to receiving your film submission.