CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
|Short (4-20 min)
|Films that are no longer than 20 minutes. All film styles (documentary, animated, stop-motion, etc.) are accepted. Amateur and professional independent filmmakers of any age and at any stage in their career may enter. You may enter more than once, but each film requires a separate submission. Films entered must be completed after December 31, 2015
This year's theme is "We the Forest". Filmmakers are encouraged to combine their interpretation of the theme with a forest-related topic to create their films.
|Short Shorts (< 4 min)
|Films that are no longer than four minutes. All film styles (documentary, animated, stop-motion, etc.) are accepted. Amateur and professional independent filmmakers of any age and at any stage in their career may enter. You may enter more than once, but each film requires a separate submission. Films entered must be completed after December 31, 2015
This year's theme is People Will Save the Rainforest. Filmmakers are encouraged to combine their interpretation of the theme with a forest-related topic to create their films.
|Youth Films (< 20 min)
|The Youth category is for individual students still in grades K-12, students may submit as group. An individual aged 18 who is still in high school may enter in the Student category. Youth submissions will also be automatically be considered for the appropriate category of short or short short film, multi-category submission and/or separate submissions are not required for any one film. .
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Films for the Forest (F3) is an annual international short film challenge created by Rainforest Partnership, an international nonprofit headquartered in Austin, Texas.
Rainforest Partnership's mission is to protect and regenerate tropical rainforests by working with the people of the forests to develop sustainable livelihoods that empower and respect both people and nature.
Films for the Forest’s objective is use the creative visual arts to move people around the world to act on behalf of tropical rainforests by connecting them to the beauty, complexity, biodiversity, and importance that rainforests play in the health of our planet. Film has the capacity to make the abstract notion of the rainforests real to people who have never had the opportunity to visit one. By bringing the story of the rainforests to life through film, we can inform and inspire people to act. We encourage independent filmmakers, of all ages and from around the world, to create inspiring rainforest related films.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Films for the Forest (F3) is open to short films completed after December 31, 2015. Films chosen as F3 Official Selections are screened as a part of the SXSW Film Festival Community Film Screenings in Austin, Texas during March 10-18, 2017. We believe in outreach wherever possible and will promote selected submitted films beyond SXSW, including such opportunities as: other F3 screenings/other film festivals; use at Rainforest Partnership events; use on our website(s), social media platforms, and as part of other outreach. This includes the potential for online screening(s). The Rainforest Partnership and/or Films for the Forests watermark/logo may be added to or shown in conjunction with submitted films. These screenings/viewings will credit the submitter. Submission of your film confirms your acceptance of these terms. If you have any questions, contact us prior to film submission.
Films for the Forest’s film competitions are judged by a panel of filmmakers and environmentalists. We’ll be announcing members of the jury panel in the weeks to come, so check the Rainforest Partnership social media feeds and the Films for the Forest website for more information. Our high calibre panels have included well regarded film industry professionals including Oscar-nominated director Richard Linklater, who has judged F3 since its inception, and renowned movie producer Elizabeth Avellan.
The competition will announce and celebrate awardees of the the 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes in all categories at the Community Screening at SXSW 2017. In addition, one film will be selected for the “JP’s Peace, Love and Happiness Award” and a $1,000 prize. The “JP’s Peace, Love and Happiness Award” will also be announced at the Community Screening at SXSW 2017. This award is made possible through the generosity of the Peace, Love and Happiness Foundation. This film will be selected by the judges from the pool of prize winning films. In addition, there will be Audience Choice winners selected in each category after the SXSW community screening.
Short Shorts - films 4 minutes and under
Shorts - films 20 minutes and under
Student - Grades K-12 (still only films under 20 minutes accepted)
All film styles (e.g. documentary, narrative, animation, etc) are encouraged.
Live Action films and Animated will be judged independently within the Short Shorts and Shorts categories.
A separate submission is required for each individual film submitted.
This year's theme is "We the Forest". This theme challenges filmmakers, and subsequently audiences, to find the relationship between people and rainforests. The role of rainforests in our planet’s well being means we all have a connection to the rainforests: the only question is a matter of distance. From rainforest communities to communities thousands of miles away, our lives are all influenced by the health of tropical rainforests. Exploration of this theme should enable storytellers of all sorts to illuminate different aspects and perspectives on this critical human/tree relationship.
We would love to include you as a volunteer for Films for the Forest. If you are interested, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
A BIT ABOUT US:
Rainforest Partnership works directly with rainforest communities to sustainably develop products found in the forest, giving the community a stake in keeping their trees intact. When the trees are more valuable standing than cut, we can all breathe easier.
The Amazon Basin alone stores 400 million metric tons of CO2 per year – about 25% of all carbon stored on land, and it circulates 20% of the world’s oxygen. Nearly 4,500 acres of rainforests are lost every hour from illegal logging, mining, agriculture, forest fires, and oil drilling, resulting in a lot more carbon in the atmosphere – and a lot less oxygen.
From Executive Director Niyanta Spelman: “Rainforest Partnership is an international nonprofit dedicated to protecting and regenerating tropical rainforests, the lungs of our planet. We are inviting you to bring forests to the people using the power of film. Through your imagination and creativity, you get to make forests come alive and move people to action; you become We the Forest."
CONNECT WITH US:
Beth Caplan (Strategic Alliances); Carmelita Morales (F3 Director); Cole Fields (Assistant Coordinator)
Online submission through www.withoutabox.com is preferred. Please be aware that if you do not already have a Withoutabox account, you will need to create one. You may want to do that ahead of the deadline.
Classes and groups are welcome to submit films as a group. If a group wins an award, only one award will be given to the group. If it's a cash award, only one check will be given to the group. The check recipient must be 18 years or older and pay all applicable taxes, but does not need to be present to receive the award.
Non-English entries must be submitted with English subtitles.
Entry fees are nonrefundable and may be paid in the form of Visa, MasterCard, check or money order paid in U.S. dollars with submission.
Please do not send us any printed publicity materials. Electronic press kit info can be included in online submissions but are not required and will not affect judging. If we need materials for festival publicity, we will notify you by email.
All entrants grant Films for the Forest (F3) and Rainforest Partnership the right to use film stills and portions of accepted films for promotional purposes, and the right to bracket submitted films with the F3 logo. Submitted films will not be used for commercial purposes.
We regret that we are no longer able to accept submissions on Blu-ray or DVD.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions. We look forward to seeing your film!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I am providing Rainforest Partnership and the Films for the Forest film festival (F3) with a submission (the Film) for entry into F3. The term Film shall include any titles, scripts, books, photographs, drawings, and other materials or information provided in connection with the submission. By submitting the Film, I:
1) agree that I am the owner of all rights in the Film, I am a co-owner of all rights in the Film and am acting with the permission and on behalf of the other co-owner(s) of the Film, or I am an authorized representative of the owner(s) of all rights in the Film and am acting with the permission and on behalf of the owner(s);
2) agree that I am 18 years of age or older, or I include with my submission a signed, written consent from my parent or legal guardian, available at http://www.filmsfotheforest.org;
3) understand that any compensation or prize awarded for a film submitted to F3 will be determined and distributed at the sole discretion of Rainforest Partnership and F3;
4) understand that the Film will be reproduced, distributed, publicly displayed, digitally transmitted, and/or will have derivative works prepared based thereon prior to, during, and/or after F3;
5) grant Rainforest Partnership and F3 a non-exclusive, non-transferable, irrevocable, worldwide, fully paid-up, royalty free license to all intellectual property rights in the Film, including the right to reproduce, publicly display, digitally transmit, and prepare derivative works of all or part of the Film for non-commercial purposes;
6) grant Rainforest Partnership and F3 the right to use the name(s), likeness, and/or any additional biographical information of the filmmakers in connection with the Film and/or F3, and I further grant Rainforest Partnership and F3 the right to provide this information to third party sponsors of F3;
7) agree that the Film does not violate any law or infringe any right of any third party, including any copyright, trademark, patent, privacy right, publicity right, or any other personal or property right;
8) agree, in the event that the Film does violate a law and/or infringe a right of a third party, to indemnify, hold harmless, and/or defend Rainforest Partnership and F3 and any affiliates, sponsors, officers, directors, employees, agents, and representatives against any claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees, costs, and expenses (including reasonable attorney's fees) relating to such violation and/or infringement;
9) agree that the Film is not subject to any threat of or actual litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding;
10) understand that submitting the Film creates no obligation for Rainforest Partnership or F3 to use the Film or to include the Film in F3, and I hereby relinquish any right to assert any claim in any forum against Rainforest Partnership or F3 based upon, arising out of, or otherwise relating to the submission of the Film, exhibition of the Film, failure to exhibit the Film, and/or failure to award compensation or a prize for the Film;
11) agree, in the event that a claim is asserted as described in Paragraph 10, to reimburse Rainforest Partnership and F3 for all losses, fees, costs, and expenses (including reasonable attorney's fees) incurred in connection with defending against such claim, and agree that in no event can damages be awarded in excess of the submission fee for the Film;
12) agree that these terms and conditions and all activities relating to F3, including the acceptance of the Film and exhibition thereof shall be governed by the laws of the State of Texas, United States; and
13) agree that I have read, understood, and agree to the foregoing conditions and the Rules and Regulations for submitting the Film to F3 available at http://www.withoutabox.com and http://www.filmsfotheforest.org, and that the foregoing conditions and Rules and Regulations shall not be superseded by any other information, including information elsewhere on the Rainforest Partnership or F3 website, any past conditions or Rules and Regulations relating to F3, or any alleged oral communications with Rainforest Partnership, F3, or any representative thereof.
14) I understand that F3 is a contest of skill with the Rules and Regulations for such contest available at http://www.filmsfotheforest.org, that any prize for a film submitted to F3 will be awarded based on skill demonstrated in creating and/or presenting such film, and that the award of such prize will be determined at the sole discretion of Rainforest Partnership, F3, and/or judges selected by Rainforest Partnership or F3 based on criteria determined by Rainforest Partnership, F3, and/or judges selected by Rainforest Partnership or F3.
updated August 31, 2016