OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES • Select a Category of Entry to continue.
|Film and Video Poetry
|Video poetry / poetry film fuses the use of spoken poetry, visual images, text, and sound. This fusion of visual images and poetry (both independent and interdependent) create a stronger presentation and interpretation of the meaning being conveyed.
|Experimental film, experimental cinema, or avant-garde cinema is a mode of filmmaking that rigorously re-evaluates cinematic conventions and explores non-narrative forms and alternatives to traditional narratives or methods of filmmaking.
|A film essay (or "cinematic essay") consists of the evolution of a theme or an idea rather than a plot per se, or the film literally being a cinematic accompaniment to a narrator reading an essay. From another perspective, an essay film could be defined as a documentary film visual basis combined with a form of commentary that contains elements of self-portrait (rather than autobiography), where the signature (rather than the life story) of the filmmaker is apparent. The cinematic essay often blends documentary, fiction, and experimental film making using tone and editing style.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Film and Video Poetry Symposium mission is to encourage film and video poets to further their ongoing explorations by providing a platform for these artists to activate, collaborate, discuss, and maintain creative work developed through the convergence of these art forms.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Film and Video Poetry Society Presents:
The 2018 Film and Video Poetry Symposium
Poets, filmmakers, and media artists are called to submit their work to the 1st annual Film and Video Poetry Symposium. The film festival and symposium will celebrate and screen a large scope of film and video projects developed through the medium of poetry. This event will also host a series of panels, guest speakers, and public dialogues regarding film and video poetry over the course of the symposium.
Eligible submissions have a maximum length of 32 minutes. There are no restrictions regarding when the film was produced or if the film has premiered regionally or internationally. There are no restrictions on subject matter, theme or topic.
The Film and Video Poetry Symposium will accept submissions of poetry films, filmpoems, digital-poetry, poetry video, Cin(E)-Poetry, spoken word films, videopoema, choreopoem, visual poetry, poetrinca, media poetry, and all films that are visually driven by text. Performance material, virtual reality projects, installation proposals, and video art presentations that hybrid or contain strong aspects of poetry are encouraged.
The Film and Video Poetry Symposium also calls for experimental film and video work that explores language and/or literature whether it be oral, written, visual, or symbolic. This includes the film essay or cinematic essay, non-narrative work, and the avant guard. We will also strongly consider work that challenges traditional and current visual communication methods while continuing to function as a mode for exploring narrative and personal expression.
Dorothy Adams Piddick (Film Festival Coordinator)
• The submitter agrees to provide up-to-date contact information pertaining to the director(s) and producer(s) of the project submitted.
• The Film and Video Poetry Symposium will not offer notes or feedback on any submitted projects. Works in progress will not be considered.
• All entries that are not English language must contain English subtitles.
• One (1) project title is allowed per submission.
• The submitter agrees to provide The Film and Video Poetry Symposium the exhibition format indicated within 2 weeks prior to the announced screening date.
• DVD or Blu-ray submission: All preview copies must be marked with title, running time, region format, applicant name, Withoutabox tracking ID, and contact information either printed or clearly written directly on the DVD with permanent marker. Please do not use paper labels on your disc.
• If you wish to have your disc returned to you, include a self-addressed mailing package and return postage with your initial submission.
• The Film and Video Poetry Symposium accepts no responsibility for loss or damage of submission or exhibition materials during shipment to or from the symposium.
• In the event that the submitted project is accepted for inclusion within The 2018 Film and Video Poetry Symposium the submitter agrees to provide each of the following rights to The 2018 Film and Video Poetry Symposium without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the project for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the project and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information.
• The Film and Video Poetry Symposium cannot be held liable or responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, or royalty infringement.
• No revisions will be accepted once an entry has been received.
• All decisions made by judges, programmers, and organizers will be final, and no refund of submission fee will be provided.
• The Film and Video Poetry Symposium will announce the 2018 program selection on: March 1, 2018.
The Film and Video Poetry Symposium extends a student discount of 50%. Any person who is formally registered as a student, no matter the field of study is eligible.
Proof of enrollment may include legal scan or legally photocopied school ID, or a letter from a dean, professor, teacher, associate faculty director, distribution advisor, or industry liaison, of a university, trade school. Students must provide proof of enrollment by emailing: Submissions@FVPSociety.com
Once approved a waiver code will be generated specifically for your application process on the With Out A Box platform.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By submitting a film to The 2018 Film and Video Poetry Symposium, I here by acknowledge that I have read all the rules & regulations, understand, and have complied with these rules.
I warrant the submission of my/our original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the work that is being submitted.
I understand that failure to adhere to the rules and regulations will result in disqualification.
I acknowledge that once my submission form and payment is processed, The Film and Video Poetry Symposium will not allow a revision to the submission form nor provide a refund.
I agree to hold The Film and Video Poetry Symposium harmless from and defend them against claims, demands, losses, damages, judgment, liabilities, attorney’s fee’s and expenses out of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties, whether or not groundless, based on any film, script, or poem submitted to The 2018 Film and Video Poetry Symposium or developed out of such submission.
To the best of my knowledge I/we are submitting to The 2018 Film and Video Poetry Symposium acknowledging that all of these statements are true and correct.