PETITION THIS FEST • CLICK HERE to be counted as an anonymous
"petition" – encouraging this event to "evolutionize" its
|Short Film (20 minutes or less)
|Short films of any genre are accepted. However, the ESFF is a family friendly event and films containing excessive violence, sexual content, foul language, etc. will not be considered. A PG-13 is a reasonable guideline. Films must be 20 minutes or less including titles.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Information not provided.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Elgin Short Festival provides an opportunity for filmmakers to submit short films (20 minutes or less including credits) of any genre with content that would receive a PG-13 or mild R rating. Films are screened by a preliminary panel and the top five films screened for an audience in the 1,200 seat Hemmens Cultural Center. The scores of a panel of judges are combined with votes tallied from the audience with the top three winners receiving trophies and cash prizes.
Butch Wilhelmi (Festival Registrar); Butch Wilhelmi (Festival Registrar)
Since submission of a film constitutes acceptance of these Entry Rules & Regulations (by filmmakers and their agents), please review this document carefully.
To be eligible for consideration, entrants must fully comply with the following Rules & Regulations, including deadline and entry material requirements and selected film requirements.
Films must be no more than twenty (20) minutes in length (including credits).
1. Films must be postmarked no later than August 16, 2013. Early Entry rates are available for entries postmarked prior to August 2, 2013. See page 2 for details
2. All entries must be either in English, contain English subtitles, or be dubbed in English.
3. Each of the ESFF finalists shall receive four complimentary passes to the Elgin Short Film Festival on September 21, 2013; a bio listing in the ESFF Program Book, and a synopsis of the film featured in the ESFF Program Book.
4. This competition is open to anyone who wishes to enter, and all genres of short films will be considered including, but not limited to, comedy, drama, horror, animation, narrative, documentaries, experimental and student films. However the ESFF is a family-oriented event, and will not accept submissions that it feels, at its sole discretion, are inappropriate (for example, submissions which contain nudity, excessive violence or usage of bad language).
5. Films that have been previously submitted to the Elgin Short Film Festival are NOT eligible for competition.
6. Films must be submitted on three (3) identical DVD’s (NTSC). The production’s title and entrant’s name must be on each case and DVD.
7. All entries must be a complete film. Submitted works that are considered a “work in progress,” “rough cut,” or a portion of a larger work will not be accepted.
8. Entrant confirms and warrants that he/she has the required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images, and content in the entry.
9. Submitted works must not have been commercially exhibited in the U.S. or publicly broadcast via TV.
10. Selected films may be promoted through all media types and outlets for promotional purposes by the Hemmens Cultural Center and the City of Elgin. In addition, ESFF reserves the right to re-screen selected projects at events and promotional showcases featuring festival highlights.
11. A thirty (30) second trailer is requested with all entries. Trailers will be compiled into a montage that will be presented as part of the awards ceremony. The ESFF will, at their sole discretion, use 30 seconds from entries that do not include a trailer to complete the montage.
12. Entrants must be 18 years of age or older. Underage filmmakers must have their film submitted by a parent or guardian over the age of 18.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Each submission must include:
• Three (3) identical, properly labeled DVD versions of the film for preview (NTSC)
• A fourth properly labeled DVD containing a 30 second trailer for your film. (Optional)
• Please do not send a compilation DVD composed of works for separate entries.
• Publicity still Photo to represent the film in program book (in digital format, preferably .jpg).
• Poster to be displayed for marketing purposes and at the festival (in digital format, preferably .jpg).
• Written synopsis (125 words or less), and crew /cast information and biographies (in a digital format, preferably as a WORD document or unsecured PDF).
• Completed and signed entry form. Please submit a separate form for each entry.
• Check or money order for entry fee. Please submit a separate check or money order for each entry.
ALL SUBMISSION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
Payment by check is preferred
Make check payable to: City of Elgin
Acceptance of Festival Rules:
By entering, each participant agrees to: (a) comply with and be bound by the official rules and decisions of the ESFF judges which are binding and final and all matters relating to the competition; (b) release and hold harmless the City of Elgin, its employees, officers and officials, and any City of Elgin board or commission, including, but not limited to, the Cultural Arts Commission and its members from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability of whatsoever nature, including, but not limited to, negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, including but not limited to invasion of privacy (under appropriation, intrusion, public disclosure of private facts, false light in the public eye or other legal theory), defamation, slander, liable, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising out of or relating to a participant's entry, creation of an entry or submission of an entry, participation in the ESFF, acceptance or use or misuse of any prize, and/or the broadcast, exploitation or use of an entry; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the City of Elgin, its boards and commissions, employees, officers and public officials from and against any and all claims, expenses and liabilities (including, but not limited to, attorneys' fees) arising out of or relating to an entrant's participation in the ESFF and/or entrant's acceptance, use or misuse of any prize or award.
Participation in the ESFF constitutes the winner's consent to the City's and its agents' use of any prize winner's name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions, and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, without further payment or consideration.
The City of Elgin reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the ESFF, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond the City of Elgin's reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the ESFF, as determined by the City of Elgin in its sole discretion. The City of Elgin reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the ESFF or to be acting in violation of the official rules or any other aspect of the ESFF in any disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the ESFF may be a violation of criminal and/or civil law, and should such an attempt be made, the City of Elgin reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The failure to enforce any terms of the official rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
The City of Elgin, its officers, employees, officials, volunteers and any of its boards and commissions, including but not limited to, the Cultural Arts Commission (the "Released Parties") are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the ESFF; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or other technical disruptions; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the ESFF or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant's participation in the ESFF or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an entrant's entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant's sole remedy is another entry in the ESFF if practicable, in the sole discretion of the Released Parties. No more than the stated number and amount of prizes will be awarded. In the event that production, technical, programming or other reasons cause more than the stated number of prizes as set forth in these official rules to be claimed, the Released Parties reserve the right to award only the stated number of prizes.
Entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the ESFF or any prizes awarded other than those concerning the administration of the ESFF or the determination of a winner, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (ii) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the ESFF, or any prizes awarded, shall be subject to and governed by the laws of the State of Illinois and venue for the resolution of any such disputes, claims and causes of action shall be in the Circuit Court of Kane County, Illinois; (iii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the ESFF, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (iv) under no circumstances shall any entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, (other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses for which documentation is provided) and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Notwithstanding anything provided herein, in no event shall the City be liable for any monetary damages for any reason, regardless of fault, for a monetary amount in excess of $100.00.
Employees, boards or commissions, public officials or agents of the City of Elgin, including but not limited to, members of the Cultural Arts Commission or members of the Judging Committee and Panel, and employees of Festival sponsors; and their immediate family (spouse, parents and step-parents, siblings, and step-siblings, children and step-children) and household members (anyone who shares the same residence at least three months per year) of each such employee or officer are not eligible for any cash award or prize relative to the ESFF. The ESFF is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Participation constitutes entrant's full and unconditional agreement to these official rules and the ESFF judging committee's and the City of Elgin's decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the ESFF. Winning a prize or award is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.