SPECIAL SUBMISSIONS ONLY • Final deadlines have passed. If
you have a deadline waiver or special instructions from the event,
select a Category of Entry to continue.
|Animated shorts 40 minutes or under (including credits).
|Shorts with a sense of humor, 40 minutes or under.
|Dramatic shorts 40 minutes or under (including credits).
|Documentary shorts 40 minutes or under (including credits).
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
ASPEN SHORTSFEST's mission is to create an intimate international forum to support and honor filmmakers who create shorts. Emerging artists, established film professionals, and movie-loving audiences gather together for a unique celebration of short cinema.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Aspen Shortsfest is an Oscar®-qualifying film festival recognized as one of the premier short film festivals in North America. Each April enthusiastic audiences, filmmakers and special guests from around the globe gather to participate in public screenings, panels, workshops, and other festivities that spotlight the art and craft of short moviemaking. Following in the tradition of Shortsfest official selections going on to Oscar® success, Bear Story (Chile) won the Oscar® for Best Animated Short Film in 2016, and We Can’t Live Without Cosmos (Russian Federation) and Shok (Republic of Kosovo/UK) were nominated.
The festival will begin accepting entries on August 22, 2016. Early bird entry deadline is October 31, 2016 with a regular entry deadline of November 30, 2016. Kathleen McInnis will serve as the Director of Programming for the 26th annual Aspen Shortsfest. Complete International Competition entry guidelines are available on the Aspen Film website, aspenfilm.org.
For more information and to join Aspen Film, please visit www.aspenfilm.org. For updates, like Aspen Film on Facebook, follow @AspenFilm on Twitter and Instagram, and join the conversation by using #Shortsfest17.
ASPEN SHORTSFEST’s 26th edition takes place April 4 - 9, 2017.
Shortsfest 2016 Entries accepted beginning: August 22, 2016
Earlybird (Discounted Fee) Entry Deadline:
October 31, 2016
Regular Entry Deadline: November 30, 2016
Late Entry Deadline: December 26, 2016
Caleb Ward; Desiree Andrews (Program Coordinator); Emery Major; John Thew; John Thew (Executive Director); Kathleen McInnis (Director of Programming ); Nikki Boxer (Director of Marketing and Development); Regna Jones; Regna Jones (Director of Operations and Education )
Please see the "Terms and Conditions" below.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
ASPEN SHORTSFEST 2017 - RULES & REGULATIONS
By agreeing to the terms and conditions on the entry form for Aspen Shortsfest, the person or entity (the Applicant) submitting an entry (the Short) to Aspen Shortsfest 2017 (ASF) acknowledges that he or she has read, understood and agrees to the following rules and guidelines:
1. The Applicant is legally authorized to enter the Short in ASF, and the Short is not subject to any claims or litigation and is not threatened by any claims or litigation.
2. Entries must be 40 minutes or under in length, completed since January 1, 2016, and submitted in one of the following categories: Animation, Comedy, Documentary, or Drama.
3. To qualify for the Student Award, the Short must have been completed while enrolled in an accredited film or media arts course or program.
4. Non-English language shorts must be subtitled in English.
5. Entries previously submitted to either Aspen Filmfest or Aspen Shortsfest cannot be considered for Aspen Shortsfest 2017.
6. Entries previously exhibited in a public screening in Colorado, broadcast on American TV, exhibited online, or have had US theatrical distribution cannot be considered for Aspen Shortsfest 2017. Aspen Shortsfest prioritizes world, international, North American, and US premieres.
7. ASF can only accept, consider and notify entries submitted with valid entry form and non-refundable entry fee. To be considered for ASF, the Applicant must fill out the entry form at Withoutabox.com. Applicant must submit a Secure Online Screener. Entry Fee payment must be made online through Withoutabox.
8. Late Entries: For Late entry request please contact ASF at shortsfestATaspenfilm.org.
9. To verify ASF has received your entry, see the Withoutabox entry status. Please do not call or email the office.
10. All films will be notified of their status by March 15, 2017. If your contact information or premiere status changes between entry submission and our notification date, please update your information on WAB and email changes to ASF at: shortsfestATaspenfilm.org.
11. Entry materials cannot be returned.
12. It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to secure clearance from the copyright holders of any copyrighted materials in the Short. The Applicant releases and discharges ASF, its employees and agents from any and all claims, demands or causes of actions related to misappropriation or infringement of copyright or violation of any other right arising out of or relating to this Short.
13. In the event that the Short is accepted as a Finalist by ASF, the Applicant hereby agrees to the following rights and requests and grants to ASF without reservations, conditions or qualifications:
14. ASF reserves the right to screen an exhibition-quality digital file of the Short (see guidelines for accepted formats) during ASF (April 4-9, 2017).
15. ASF reserves the right to coordinate ALL publicity and press outreach concerning the Short?s presentation at ASF, including but not limited to:
15.a The right to use excerpted clips, still images and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Short for promotional purposes in all media including Aspen Film's website.
15.b The right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Short and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information.
15.c The right to provide contact information for the director and producer(s) of the Short and to grant ASF the right to provide this information to film industry organizations sponsoring Festival events at its discretion.
16. ASF reserves the right to retain a preview copy of any Short submitted or solicited for ASF?s non-circulating library, as well as for ASF educational purposes.
17. ASF reserves the right to rescind any invitation based on confirmed premiere status, if premiere status changes.
18. ASF reserves the right to disqualify, without refund of any or all submission fees, any entry which is in violation of the guidelines and participation agreement.