OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES • Select a Category of Entry to continue.
Documentary Features over 50 minutes in length.
All genres will be considered
|$10,000 Cash Prize
Narrative Features over 50 minutes in length.
All genres will be considered
|Shorts I (3 - 20 min)
Shorts no less than 3 minutes and no longer than 20 minutes (including credits).
All genres will be considered
|Shorts II (21 - 49 min)
Shorts must be no less than 21 minutes and no greater than 49 minutes in length, including credits.
All genres will be considered
45 minutes or less (including credits)
Narrative Features and/or Documentaries accepted.
Student ID (proof of enrollment) will be required.
All genres will be considered.
Winner does not need to be present.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Julien Dubuque International Film Festival acknowledges emerging filmmakers from around the world, with a strong emphasis on discovering and encouraging new talent, supporting cause-related films and bringing together all elements of filmmaking.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Awarding over $40,000 in cash prizes, the Julien Dubuque International Film Festival (JDIFF) is a four-day celebration of independent film and special events, fostering connections and exposure and yielding substantial results for the independent filmmaker.
With the majority of events located on Main Street downtown Dubuque; Filmmakers, Attendees and Special Guests are able to attend numerous screenings, special events and interact amongst each other.
As quoted in Filmmaker Magazine "The festival is smartly situated downtown, with an assortment of handsome venues all within walking distance" from the Festival Headquarters, located in the grand HOTEL JULIEN, the same hotel where Al Capone used to hide out from the Chicago Feds.
Cash prizes are awarded to winning filmmakers; as well as paid travel and accommodations for the top 3 nominees in each category. Filmmakers from around the world are invited to submit films.
The coveted JDIFF "Feather" award, as well as CASH PRIZES are given in the following categories:
Best Documentary ($10,000)
Best Narrative Feature ($10,000)
Excellence in Cinematography ($6,000)
World Premiere Special Jury ($5,000)
Best Short (3 - 20 min length) ($3,500)
Best Short (21 - 49 min length) ($3,500)
Master Award in Student Film ($1,000)
Audience Choice ($1,000)
Our Jury members are a mix of Film professionals, such as Directors, Producers, Critics, Music Supervisors, Director of Photography, etc and will be judging the key "in competition" categories.
Susan Gorrell (Executive Director)
1. All entries submitted must have been completed on or after January 1, 2013.
2. We prefer ONLINE submissions. However, you may send a DVD if needed. Files and links can be emailed to email@example.com.
3. All DVD's must include the following on the Label:
•Withoutabox Tracking Number
•Title of Project
•Contact Name & Info
•Length of Project
4. If payment is not made by Credit Card through Withoutabox.com, the submission must also include a check or money order of the appropriate funds made out to: JDIFF.
5. Send all materials to:
Julien Dubuque International Film Festival
Attn: Susan Gorrell
PO Box 735
Dubuque, IA 52004
6. Checklist when sending your submissions to JDIFF:
•Completed online Entry Form
•Non-refundable Entry Fee
•Properly Labeled DVD as stated above.
•Film Synopsis - no more than 2 paragraphs
•Principal Cast & Crew List
7. More than one entry may be submitted.
8. PRESS KIT: ONLY REQUIRED ONCE SELECTED as an Official Selection of the Julien Dubuque International Film Festival. Entries will be notified no later than March 15, 2015 if selected and will be required to send the following Press Kit materials:
9. Submitted films that meet all eligibility requirements are considered in competition for the Julien Dubuque International Film Festival. No more than 35 - 45 films/docs and 30 shorts will be selected. Approximately one month prior to the event, the nominees will be announced. At this time, films that are not Festival Award Nominees will screen as Official Selections.
10. A Jury will determine the winners in each category. The winners of all categories will be announced at the awards ceremony to be held on Saturday, April 24, 2016. The Jury will be comprised of Professionals in the industry such as; Directors, Producers, Actors, etc..
11. One filmmaker from each of the final three (3) nominees MUST BE PRESENT to win the Grand Prize for their nominated category.
12. One filmmaker from each of the final three (3) nominees will receive a free trip to Dubuque, Iowa for the Festival, which includes Travel and Accommodations.
13. DVD's and other submitted materials WILL NOT be returned.
14. All film entries selected for the Festival grant the Julien Dubuque International Film Festival the rights to use footage, stills and/or titles and information from the film for promotional purposes, including the rights to utilize any excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at JDIFF and/or on the JDIFF website. Filmmakers fully retain all rights, title and interest in their films and all intellectual property.
15. The number of screenings, days and venue is at the sole discretion of the festival. Most films, however, screen a minimum of two times.
16. Project may be a work in progress at time of submission, however it does need to be complete enough for us to make a decision. If you expect that your final version to be a specific length, then do not send us a version a lot shorter (60 minute final / do not send a 30 minute rough). When possible, you should provide an on-screen description of missing scenes or elements as placeholders within the continuity of the film. A FINAL VERSION must be sent when notified of Official Selection or Nominee.
17. We reserve the right to disqualify, without refund of any or all submission fees, any applicant who attempts to avoid submission fees by sending in a replacement cut of their film after their selected deadline has passed. If you log into your Withoutabox account and your film has not been marked as RECEIVED, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before you send another copy. We will only view the first cut of your film.
To be eligible for the Festival, films must comply with the following:
1. Must have been completed on or after January 1, 2013
2. There is no limit to the amount of entries.
3. One entry form is required per entry.
4. The festival is not responsible for damage to, or loss of, material submitted. Additionally, the festival is held harmless from damage to or loss of print en route to the festival.
5. We accept BOTH Domestic AND International Submissions. Foreign language films must have subtitles.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1) All decisions of programmers and jurors are final. All entries will be viewed and given equal consideration.
2) No entries will be returned.
3) All submitted materials must include the withoutabox.com tracking number and additional information as listed in the General Rules.
4). Press Kit materials as listed above will be sent only upon notification of Officially Selected. The Julien Dubuque International Film Festival assumes NO RESPONSIBILITY of marketing and promotion if proper press kit materials are not sent after notification as deemed in the General Rules. It is the sole responsibility of the Filmmaker to send all materials listed.
5) Notification date is on or around March 20, 2015.
6). ONLINE submissions are preferred. However, if sending, your project must be on DVD, region 1 or 0 in NTSC format and must be received with submissions.
7) JDIFF reserves the right to select films from the entire pool of submissions.
8) There are no restrictions on premiere or distribution status, but films may not have been completed prior to January 1, 2013. EXCEPT for the World Premiere category. Only submissions that have not previously screened at any other festival and/or venue will be eligible.
10) JDIFF does consider works in progress.
11) All entered films grant the Julien Dubuque International Film Festival a non exclusive limited use agreement to use selected portions of films chosen for competition, and or use film promotional materials to promote the festival including the rights to utilize any excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at JDIFF for promotional purposes and/or on JDIFF's website. Filmmakers fully retain all rights, title and interest in their films and all intellectual Property.
12) JDIFF does not accept responsibility for damage or loss of materials. Please do not send us any original copies, master copies, the only copy you have, etc.
13). By agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, you certify that you hold all necessary rights for the submission of this film and have read the regulations.
14). Dates and guidelines subject to change without prior notice.
Thank you and happy submitting!