CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
|Each iteration of THE PRODUCERS GUILD WEEKEND SHORTS CHALLENGE will be characterized by a specific ASSIGNMENT, requiring films to include a certain theme and a few specific elements. The degree to which each film organically incorporates the elements of the assignment will dictate judges’ evaluation of the films’ EXECUTION OF ASSIGNMENT
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The mission of THE PRODUCERS GUILD WEEKEND SHORTS CHALLENGE is to support talented emerging producers by using the inspirational spirit of the industry's top Producers to spark the imagination of new generations of storytellers. Each year, entries for THE PRODUCERS GUILD WEEKEND SHORTS CHALLENGE will reflect themes and elements found in the work of a different well established producer's films. Revenues raised by the contest will be used to to further educational outreach for producers and emerging filmmakers through the PGA Foundation.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The PRODUCERS GUILD proudly presents the 3rd Annual Weekend Shorts Challenge,
Producers, regardless of experience, are invited to participate in this exciting contest to produce a short-film over a 48 hour period during the weekend of September 6 and 8, 2013. The contest is open to all producers worldwide, 18 years and older, and need not be a member of The Producer’s Guild to enter.
The films entered in THE PRODUCERS GUILD WEEKEND SHORTS CHALLENGE will be evaluated by a remarkable group of celebrity judges. Past judges have included Steve Buscemi, Bruce Cohen, Jamie Lee Curtis, Gale Ann Hurd, Stacey Sher, Cathleen Summers, and Lesley Ann Warren. This years judges will be announced on our site shortly. Each of the judges had the opportunity to work closely with Laura Ziskin, and we deeply appreciate their honoring her legacy by providing their time and expertise.
All Entrants will be provided the same assignment, and be given exactly 51 hours to make and submit a film/video (an “Entry”). The topic will posted on the web site www.PGAWeekendshorts.com commencing at 5:01 p.m. EDST/ 2:01 p.m. PDST on Friday September 6, 2013. As a courtesy, the topic will also be posted at the PGA Facebook page and will be sent to the Entrant’s email as identified on the Entry Agreement. To be considered eligible, all Entries must be properly submitted by 8:00 p.m. EDST/ 5:00 p.m. PDST on September 8, 2013.
TO ENTER PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW
1. Create a new project in your Withoutabox filmmaker account and title it with your name (ONLY), following the steps below:
-Click on Add A Project from the left-side navigation of your Withoutabox account homepage
-Make sure the project type selected is Film/Video and click continue
-When you get to the Title Original page enter in your name and click save
-Click the Exit button
*Do NOT fill out the remaining sections of the project form.
2. Submit the newly created project to the THE PRODUCERS GUILD WEEKEND SHORTS CHALLENGE Withoutabox listing to register for the film challenge.
Click Submit Now
Pay the registration fee via credit card
This will officially register you for the competition
Registration must be fully completed by 11:59PM PST on Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013.
3. Go to www.PGAWeekendShorts.com Friday September 6th, 2013 at 5:01 p.m. EDST/ 2:01 p.m. PDST to view the topic of the film challenge. You will have 51 hours to create the film and upload your Secure Online Screener on Withoutabox. (Please allow plenty of time for processing time of your Secure Online Screener Upload.)
4. Please upload your Secure Online Screener on Withoutabox by Sunday, September 8, 2013 - 8:00 p.m. EDST/ 5:00 p.m. PDST
Uploads will be cut off at exactly 5PM PDST so please get the film in early.
5. Upon submission of the Secure Online Screener to Withoutabox please email a copy of the signed agreements directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The agreements can be downloaded via the PGA site: www.PGAWeekendShorts.com
Please note there will be no refunds on films not completed.
Entries for the THE PRODUCERS GUILD WEEKEND SHORTS CONTEST will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
40% - CREATIVE MERIT (quality of storytelling, script, performances, sheer entertainment value)
30% - TECHNICAL EXECUTION (production values, lighting, sound, effects, innovative use of resources)
30% - EXECUTION OF ASSIGNMENT
The entry fees are tax deductible as a donation to the Producers Guild Foundation, which is a 501 (c)(3) charity and early registration is encouraged.
Revenues raised by the contest will be used to further educational outreach for producers and emerging filmmakers through the PGA Foundation.
Carla Patterson (Committe Member)
; Carole Beams (Committee Chair)
; Erin O'Malley (Committe Member)
; Pixie Wespiser (Committe Member)
; Salvy Maleki (Committe Member)
; Steven Wolfe (Festival Registrar)
; Steven Wolfe (Festival Registrar)
PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA
WEEKEND SHORTS CHALLENGE
2013 OFFICIAL RULES
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Weekend Shorts Challenge (“Contest”) is presented by the Producers Guild of America Foundation ("PGA”) to support educational outreach for producers and emerging filmmakers; and is open to anyone who complies with the following rules and standards. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the following individuals are not eligible: persons involved in the judging of the Contest and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling, or grandparent of each) and those living in their same households for at least three (3) months during the twelve (12) month period preceding the start date of the Contest.
You do not need to be a PGA member in order to enter the contest.
Each person or team submitting a film/video for the Contest is an "Entrant.” The submitted film/video is the "Entry.” Each Entrant, or part thereof, is limited to one Entry.
Entrants must have at least one member of its team be 18 years of age or older. Each Entrant must designate one person, 18 years of age or older, as their Entrant Representative ("ER”), and no Entrant may have more than one ER. The ER will act for the Entrant in all communications with the PGA and regarding the Contest.
ERs will be required to, and must, sign and submit the standard PGA Entry Agreement with their Entry. A copy of this agreement is available below. The Entry Agreement must be signed on behalf of all members of the Entrant, and each member hereby authorizes, and by participating herein further authorizes, the ER to so sign on their behalf. Upon submission of the Secure Online Screener to Withoutabox (“WAB”) please email a copy of the signed agreements directly to: email@example.com.
All costs associated with the production of the Entry and participation in the Contest are the sole responsibility of the Entrant.
Entrants need not be physically present at the designated times to participate.
2. CONTEST DATES:
» The Contest Entry Period will commence Saturday, June 1, 2013 and end on Wednesday September 4, 2013
» The Production Period commences Friday, September 6, 2013 (at 2:01 p.m. PDST/ 5:01 p.m. EDST) and ends Sunday, September 8, 2013 (at 5:00 p.m. PDST/ 8:00 p.m. EDST).
3. TO ENTER: To register for the Contest, follow these Official Rules and the instructions found on www.pgaweekendshorts.com. Registration must be fully completed by 11:59 p.m. PDST on Wednesday, September 4, 2013.
Registration fees are as follows:
» EARLY BIRD ENTRY FEE: $50 per Entrant (defined below) June 1, 2013 through June 30, 2013;
» $75 per Entrant from July 1, 2013 through July 31, 2013;
» $80 from August 1, 2013 through August 21, 2013; and
» $95 if received August 22, 2013 through September 4, 2013.
No registrations will be accepted after September 4, 2013. There will be NO REFUNDS if an Entrant improperly registers or must withdraw.
4. FILMMAKING RULES: The following rules apply to each Entrant and participating group/production team:
All Entrants will be provided the same assignment, and be given exactly 51 hours to make and submit an "Entry”. The topic will be posted on the web site www.pgaweekendshorts.com commencing at 5:01 p.m. EDST/ 2:01 p.m. PDST on Friday, September 6, 2013. As a courtesy, the topic will also be posted at the PGA Facebook page and will be sent to the Entrant’s email as identified on the Entry Agreement. PGA shall not be responsible for any internet or communication malfunctions or problems or any failure of any Entrant to receive any posted or emailed communication. (See paragraph 10 below). To be considered eligible, all Entries must be properly submitted by 8:00 p.m. EDST/ 5:00 p.m. PDST on September 8, 2013. See www.pgaweekendshorts.com for details.
The Entrant must fully complete submission of its completed Entry by 8:00 p.m. EDST/ 5:00 p.m. PDST on Sunday, September 8, 2013.
Only works that meet the deadline will be officially part of the Contest. Please contact WAB with any and all technical questions about properly uploading your completed project to insure completion by the posted deadline.
All creative work must take place from 5:01 p.m. EDST/ 2:01 p.m. PDST on Friday, September 6, 2013 through 8:00 p.m. EDST/ 5:00 p.m. PDST on Sunday, September 8, 2013 (the "Contest Weekend”). Any creative work in advance of the Contest Weekend is prohibited. Creative work includes, but is not limited to:
» Costume/Set Design;
» Sound Design;
» Rendering; and
» Outputting to tape or other media.
All footage must be shot within the Contest Weekend.
1) No stock footage or footage shot or created at another time may be used.
2) Animation and special effects are permitted, but must be created during the Contest Weekend.
3) If the spoken language in the film is not English, film must have English Subtitles.
Still photographs are permitted (so long as not used to create illusion of motion), provided that the Entrant has the rights to them. The photos do not need to be created during the Contest Weekend.
All cast and crew must be volunteers.
The finished Entry must have a minimum duration of three (3) minutes and a maximum duration of five (5) minutes—not including credits.
F. Title Card Designation
Before the finished film/video begins, the media must have:
» 5 seconds of bars and tone;
» 5 seconds of black;
» A title card with: team name, title and date submitted;
» A title card with: "This film/video made for the Producers Guild of America Weekend Shorts Challenge."
» 2 seconds of black, followed by;
» Your film/video.
» Credits at the end of each Entry are limited to a maximum of 60 seconds.
» End credits must include the words: "This film/video made for the Producers Guild of America Weekend Shorts Challenge."
» Opening credits are considered to be part of the Entry, and therefore count against the five (5)-minute maximum.
H. Forms & Formats
Your Entry must be submitted in Digital Upload format only. See www.pgaweekendshorts.com for details.
In order to be showcased on the Producers Guild of America website, winning Entries must be submitted or re-submitted in a format compatible with Vimeo video hosting services. (see http://vimeo.com/help/compression for details.)
Upon submission of the Secure Online Screener to Withoutabox, please email a copy of the signed Entry Form and Certification Statement directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Release agreements will be required from the winning Entries.
Maintain sound levels relatively even throughout your Entry. (Uneven sound may be modified to protect the playback equipment.)
J. Contest Releases
Each Entrant must secure releases for talent, crew, music and locations and any other applicable releases (collectively referred to as “Contest Releases”), which must be submitted upon request to the Contest organizers. Contest Releases must be submitted within 36 hours of request. (The Contest Release forms can be found on www.pgaweekendshorts.com).
K. Certification Statements
The Entrant must submit a statement with his/her/its completed Entry, certifying adherence to all Official Rules (“Certification Statement”). The Certification Statement forms can be found on www.pgaweekendshorts.com.
To be eligible for the Project, Entries must be the original work of the Entrant(s); must not infringe on third-party’s rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent); must not contain obscene or pornographic material; may not contain defamatory statements about any person, company, organization or entity; may not invade privacy or other rights of any person, company or entity; may not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations; and may not contain any copyrighted elements (other than as owned by the Entrant or in the public domain). Entries containing prohibited or inappropriate content as determined by the PGA, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate, will be disqualified. The PGA reserves the right to make the final determination as to which Entries are eligible. The PGA also reserves the right to refuse to screen a film/video or to make an announcement regarding the content of the Entry.
M. Notes on Submissions
Nothing other than the Entry, the Entry Agreement, the Contest Releases (when requested) and the Certification Agreement may be submitted. No personal bios, CVs, publicity materials, communications or other items or elements may be submitted and may result in disqualification of your Entry.
Submitted Entries will NOT be returned to Entrant(s).
If your Entry does not conform to the submission requirements, it may be disqualified. Also, if your Entry cannot be viewed on the PGA equipment, it may be disqualified.
No law may be broken in connection with the development, creation, filming or submission of the Entry.
Each Entry and each Entrant’s film/video production and participation must follow all Official Rules.
The PGA may, in its sole discretion, disqualify Entries deemed by the PGA to be inappropriate or otherwise non-compliant.
The PGA may add to or amend these Official Rules at any time prior to the beginning of the Contest Weekend. All ERs, members and Entrants are advised to repeatedly consult http://www.pgaweekendshorts.com to review the latest rules.
5. SELECTION OF WINNERS: Eligible Entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
A. Creative Merit – 40% - consisting of:
• entertainment value
B. Technical Execution – 30% - consisting of:
• picture quality
• sound quality
• editing & post-production quality
• production value & effects
C. Execution of the Assignment – 30%
The Contest will be characterized by a specific assignment, requiring films to include a certain theme and a few specific elements. The degree to which each film organically incorporates the elements of the assignment will dictate judges’ evaluation of the films’ Execution of Assignment.
The Contest will award a first prize; second prize and third prize. See the web site for prize details and updates. Entrants agree and acknowledge that the PGA has the sole right to judge the Entries, select the winners and decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest in its sole discretion, and that all decisions of the PGA are final and binding.
6. By submitting an Entry into this Contest, each Entrant, and each of Entrant’s respective members, including the ER, warrants and represents that the Entrant owns all rights to the Entry he/she/it is entering in this Contest, including, without limitation, the written, musical, video, audio or digital elements, and the performances contained in each Entry. Each ER, member and Entrant further warrants and represents that neither the Entry nor the making thereof will violate or infringe on the rights of any person, and that Entrant has obtained permission from each person who appears in the Entry (or owns any rights with respect thereto) to grant the rights to enter into the Contest and submit the Entry thereto. ER and Entrant each warrants that they have provided these Official Rules to every person appearing in the Entry (or owns any rights with respect thereto), and secured their written consent thereto, prior to submitting the Entry. ER and Entrant each agrees to submit copies of such permissions to the PGA upon request. By submitting an Entry, each of ER, members and Entrant expressly agrees to the Official Rules, as they currently exist or as amended, and further agrees to indemnify and hold the PGA and its affiliates, officers, directors, agents, partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the "Contest Indemnitees”) harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Contest Indemnitees due to or arising out of the Entrant’s Entry materials in the Contest, or the Entrant’s conduct during and in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation. Each of ER, members and Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Indemnitees from any and all claims that any advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of the Contest Indemnitees infringes on the rights of Entrant’s work as contained in any Entry.
7. As a condition of entry, Entrants must agree to the Entry Agreement, which sets forth the rights of Entrant and the PGA with respect to the use of Entries by the PGA. Entries that do not include all required information, and adhere to the foregoing and following requirements, will be considered void and will not be considered in this Contest.
8. If any group of individuals (each a "member”) elects to collaborate on an Entry, they are required to designate one (1) person as their ER (see paragraph 1). The ER shall serve as the agent of the group to enter the Contest, agree to these Official Rules, sign the Entry Agreement and accept the prize on behalf of the group. Neither the PGA nor any of the Contest Indemnitees are liable for any disputes between collaborators, members, vendors, talent or any other persons arising out of or related to the Entry or the Contest. As a condition for any Entry, and being allowed to participate, each member hereby warrants and represents that they have authorized the ER to sign all documents related hereto, and to make any statements made to the PGA or the Contest, on behalf of each member and their respective agents, representatives, assigns and successors, and will hold the PGA and the Contest Indemnitees fully indemnified and harmless from any dispute with respect thereto.
9. GENERAL CONDITIONS: By participating, Entrants agree to these Official Rules, which are final and binding in all respects. The Contest is governed by the laws of the State of California, USA, and all claims must be resolved by binding arbitration in Los Angeles County, State of California, under the then applicable Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures of JAMS.
10. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by the PGA or affiliated entities or persons resulting from any person’s participation in, or attempt to participate in, the Contest, or ability or inability to upload or download any information in connection with participating in the Contest. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the PGA or affiliated entities or persons for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Contest: hardware or software failures or errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of any web site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the internet or any web site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bug, worm; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the Contest. The PGA and affiliated entities or persons are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on any web site. Use of any affiliated web site is at user’s own risk. The PGA and affiliated entities or persons are not responsible for any personal injury, harm, property damage or loss of any kind which may be sustained to any Entrant or any other person’s person or property resulting from participation in the Contest, use of any affiliated web site or the download of any information. By participating in the Contest, Entrant agrees to, and hereby does, release, indemnify and hold the PGA and the Contest Indemnitees harmless from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such Entrant’s participation or involvement in the Contest.
11. WINNERS: Winners will be posted online at www.pgaweekendshorts.com –after the awards show on Saturday, November 9, 2013, As a courtesy, winners will also be sent an email to the Entrant’s email as identified on the Entry Agreement. PGA shall not be responsible for any internet or communication malfunctions or problems or any failure of any Entrant to receive any posted or emailed communication. (See paragraph 16 above).
Void where prohibited by law.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
ERs will be required to, and must sign and submit, the standard PGA Entry Agreement with their Entry.
A copy of this agreement is available at: www.pgaweekendshorts.com. The Entry Agreement must be signed on behalf of all members of the Entrant, and each member hereby authorizes, and by participating herein further authorizes, the ER to so sign on their behalf.
Additonal contest details can be found on the FAQ page at www.weekendshorts.com
Upon submission of the Secure Online Screener to Withoutabox please email a copy of the signed agreements directly to: email@example.com