OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES • Select a Category of Entry to continue.
|Each iteration of MAKE YOUR MARK, A SHORT FILM COMPETITION PRESENTED BY THE PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA will be characterized by a specific assignment, requiring films to include a certain theme and a few specific elements. In the first phase, all entrants will be provided the same assignment, and be given exactly 51 hours to make and submit their 3-5 minute short film. The degree to which each film organically incorporates the elements of the assignment will dictate the judges’ evaluation.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The mission of the MAKE YOUR MARK, A SHORT FILM COMPETITION PRESENTED BY THE PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA is to support talented emerging producers by using the inspirational spirit of the industry's top Producers to spark the imagination of new generations of storytellers. Entries for MAKE YOUR MARK will reflect themes and elements found in the work of a well established producer's films. This year legendary producer Sydney Pollack will be the inspiration. A portion of the proceeds from the entry fees goes to the Producers Guild Foundation, which is a 501 (c) (3) charity. Revenues raised by the competition will be used to further educational outreach for producers and emerging filmmakers through the Producers Guild Foundation
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The MAKE YOUR MARK, A SHORT FILM COMPETITION PRESENTED BY THE PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA is dedicated to spotlighting the role of the producer as opposed to the director. At every turn, we want to see what chops you have to make compelling content with limited resources.
Producers, regardless of experience, are invited to participate in this exciting competition to produce a short film during the weekend of August 24- 26, 2018. The competition is open to all producers 18 years of age or older from anywhere in the world. Entrants need not be a member of the PGA to enter.
Films entered in MAKE YOUR MARK, A SHORT FILM COMPETITION PRESENTED BY THE PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA will be evaluated by a remarkable group of celebrity judges and PGA producers.
HOW TO SUBMIT
1) Create a Withoutabox Project titled “Make Your Mark” with your team’s information (cast, crew, etc. if available)
2) Submit your project via Withoutabox and pay the entry fee by August 22.
3) Complete the following forms located at https://www.producersguild.org/page/MYM_Rules?
a) Certification Statement
b) Release Agreement
c) Entry Agreement
d) If using SAG Actors, please also complete the SAG forms available on the page.
4) Email completed forms directly to email@example.com.
5) On Friday August 24, 2018 all Entrants will receive the same assignment and be given exactly 51 hours to make and submit a film/video. The assignment will be emailed and posted on the web site www.MakeYourMarkCompetition.com commencing at 5:00PM EDT/ 2:00PM PDT on Friday August 24, 2018.
6) MAKE YOUR FILM!
7) Your completed film must be uploaded as a screener to Withoutabox by 8:00PM EDT/ 5:00PM PDT on August 26, 2018.
8) Winners will be posted online at www.MakeYourMarkCompetition.com after the awards show on November 10, 2018.
The Contest will award a first prize; second prize and third prize.
1st PRIZE - Producers Package
PGA MENTOR SESSION WITH CHRIS MOORE - Priceless
Cinelease rental - $25,000
SIM Post Services Package - $15,300
SIM Camera Package - $12,700
Fullscreen Media - $1,500
Distribution & Strategy Session
Pathbender Media Holdings - $1,500
Financing Strategy Session
2nd PRIZE - Producers Package
PGA MENTOR SESSION WITH IAN BRYCE - Priceless
CFG Los Angeles Rentals - $15,000
Smart Post Sound - $15,000
"On Location Rentals" - $5,000
Pathbender Media Holdings $1,500
Financing Strategy Session
3rd PRIZE - Producers Package
PGA MENOTR SESSION WITH STEVEN WOLFE - Priceless
Quixote Studios - $2,500
EVS - $1,500
Pathbender Media Holdings - $1,500
Financing Strategy Session
*New prizes are constantly being added, so check the Make Your Mark website for updates.
Carla Patterson (Committe Member); Carole Beams (Committee Chair); Erin Omalley (Committee Member); Pixie Wespiser (Committe Member); Salvy Maleki (Committe Member); Steven Wolfe (Committee Member); Warren Weideman (Committee Member)
MAKE YOUR MARK
A SHORT FILM COMPETITION PRESENTED BY
THE PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA AND THE PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA FOUNDATION
PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA
MAKE YOUR MARK WEEKEND SHORTS
2018 OFFICIAL RULES
All contestants must read the full official rules.
Support for your submissions. If you require assistance with submitting to PRODUCERS GUILD OF AMERICA MAKE YOUR MARK WEEKEND SHORTS COMPETITION or have questions about using Withoutabox, please contact the dedicated Filmmaker Support Team. Filmmaker Support can be reached via the Help Desk form found here: https://help.imdb.com/withoutabox/contact
Full 2018 official rules:
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Producers Guild of America Make Your Mark Weekend Shorts Competition (“Contest”) is presented by the Producers Guild of America through the Producers Guild of America Foundation (collectively, the "PGA”) to support educational outreach for producers and emerging filmmakers; and is open to anyone who complies with the following rules and standards. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the following individuals are not eligible: employees of the PGA and the Producers Guild of America, persons involved in the judging of the Contest and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling, or grandparent of each) and those living in their same households for at least three (3) months during the twelve (12) month period preceding the start date of the Contest. In the event any registration is submitted by a producing team of two (2) individuals, all producing team members must meet the eligibility requirements. Producing teams may consist of no more than two (2) individuals and the producing team members may not change after registration
You DO NOT need to be a PGA member in order to enter the contest.
Each person or team submitting a film/video for the Contest is an "Entrant.” The submitted film/video is the "Entry.” Each Entrant, or part thereof, is limited to one Entry.
Entrants must have at least one member of its team be 18 years of age or older. Each Entrant must designate one person, 18 years of age or older, as their Entrant Representative ("ER”), and no Entrant may have more than one ER. The ER will act for the Entrant in all communications with the PGA and regarding the Contest. Only the ER may communicate with the PGA regarding the Contest and only the ER will receive communications from the PGA. In the event a producing team is named a winner, the producing team will be treated as one (1) individual and the team will share the prize.
ERs will be required to, and must, sign and submit the standard PGA Entry Agreement with their Entry. A copy of this agreement is available below. The Entry Agreement must be signed on behalf of all members of the Entrant, and each member hereby authorizes, and by participating herein further authorizes, the ER to so sign on their behalf. Upon submission of the Secure Online Screener to Withoutabox (“WAB”) please email a copy of the signed agreements directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All costs associated with the production of the Entry and participation in the Contest are the sole responsibility of the Entrant. There will be no refunds of the entry fee.
Entrants need not be physically present at the designated times to participate.
2. CONTEST DATES:
» The Contest Entry Period will commence Friday, June 1, 2018 and end on Wednesday August 22, 2018
» The Production Period commences Friday, August 24, 2018 (at 2:00 p.m. PDST/ 5:00 p.m. EDST) and ends Sunday, August 26, 2018 (at 5:00 p.m. PDST/ 8:00 p.m. EDST).
3. TO ENTER: To register for the Contest, follow these Official Rules and the instructions found on www.makeyourmarkcompetiton.com. Registration must be fully completed by 11:59 p.m. PDST on Wednesday, August 22, 2018.
Registration fees are as follows:
» EARLY BIRD ENTRY FEE: $75 per Entrant (defined below) June 1, 2018 through June 30, 2018;
» $100 per Entrant from July 1, 2018 through August 22, 2018;
No registrations will be accepted after August 22, 2018. There will be NO REFUNDS if an Entrant improperly registers or must withdraw.
4. FILMMAKING RULES: The following rules apply to each Entrant and participating group/production team:
All Entrants will be provided the same assignment, and be given exactly fifty-one (51) hours to make and submit an "Entry”. The topic will be posted on the web site www.makeyourmarkcompetiton.com commencing at 5:00 p.m. EDST/ 2:00 p.m. PDST on Friday, August 24, 2018. As a courtesy, the topic will also be posted at the PGA Facebook page and will be sent to the Entrant’s email as identified on the Entry Agreement. PGA shall not be responsible for any internet or communication malfunctions or problems or any failure of any Entrant to receive any posted or emailed communication. (See paragraph 10 below). To be considered eligible, all Entries must be properly submitted by 8:00 p.m. EDST/ 5:00 p.m. PDST on August 26, 2018. See www.makeyourmarkcompetition.com for details.
The Entrant must fully complete submission of its completed Entry by 8:00 p.m. EDST/ 5:00 p.m. PDST on Sunday, August 26, 2018.
Only works that meet the deadline will be officially part of the Contest. Please contact WAB with any and all technical questions about properly uploading your completed project to insure completion by the posted deadline.
All creative work must take place from 5:00 p.m. EDST/ 2:00 p.m. PDST on Friday, August 24, 2018 through 8:00 p.m. EDST/ 5:00 p.m. PDST on Sunday, August 26, 2018 (the "Contest Weekend”). Any creative work in advance of the Contest Weekend is prohibited. Creative work includes, but is not limited to:
» Costume/Set Design;
» Sound Design;
» Rendering; and
» Outputting to tape or other media.
All footage must be shot within the Contest Weekend.
1) No stock footage or footage shot or created at another time may be used.
2) Animation and special effects are permitted, but must be created during the Contest Weekend.
3) If the spoken language in the Entry is not English, the Entry must have English Subtitles.
Still photographs are permitted (so long as not used to create illusion of motion), provided that the Entrant has the rights to them. The photos do not need to be created during the Contest Weekend.
All cast and crew must be volunteers.
The finished Entry must have a minimum duration of three (3) minutes and a maximum duration of five (5) minutes—not including credits.
F. Title Card Designation
Before the finished film/video begins, the media must have:
» 5 seconds of bars and tone;
» 5 seconds of black;
» A title card with: Entrant name, title and date submitted;
» A title card with: "This film/video made for the Producers Guild of America Make Your Mark Weekend Shorts Competition."
» 2 seconds of black, followed by;
» Entrant’s film/video.
» Credits at the end of each Entry are limited to a maximum of 60 seconds.
» End credits must include the words: "This film/video made for the Producers Guild of America Make Your Mark Weekend Shorts Competition."
» Opening credits are considered to be part of the Entry, and therefore count against the five (5)-minute maximum.
H. Forms & Formats
Your Entry must be submitted to WithoutABox.com in Digital Upload format only. No other methods or submissions may be used. Refer to the WithoutABox website (www.withoutabox.com) for compatible formats. See www.makeyourmarkcompetition.com for details.
In order to be showcased on the Producers Guild of America website, winning Entries must be submitted or re-submitted in a format compatible with Vimeo video hosting services. (see http://vimeo.com/help/compression for details.)
aspect ratio: 16:9
Upon submission of the Secure Online Screener to Withoutabox, please email a copy of the signed Entry Form and Certification Statement directly to: email@example.com .
Release agreements will be required from the winning Entries.
Maintain sound levels relatively even throughout your Entry. (Uneven sound may be modified to protect the playback equipment.)
J. Contest Releases and SAG-AFTRA.
Each Entrant must secure releases for talent, crew, music, images, logos,trademarks and locations and any other applicable releases (collectively referred to as “Contest Releases”), which must be submitted upon request to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contest Releases must be submitted within 36 hours of request. (The Contest Release forms can be found on www.makeyourmarkcompetiton.com). The PGA reserves the right to request original (non-electronic) copies of the executed Contest Releases. Entrants must collect photocopies of identification (i.e. driver’s license or state identification) from all non-SAG-AFTRA talent. Entrants must provide the PGA with copies of such identification within thirty-six (36) hours of the PGA’s request.
SAG-AFTRA talent may be used in the Entry. Entrants utilizing SAG-AFTRA talent must fill out the SAG-AFTRA forms located on the Contest Website. Refer to each SAG-AFTRA form for proper compliance with SAG-AFTRA requirements and for submission instructions.
Each Entrant must also secure the appropriate film permit(s) required for the location(s) of their shoot.
K. Certification Statements
The Entrant must submit a statement with his/her/its completed Entry, certifying adherence to all Official Rules (“Certification Statement”). The Certification Statement forms can be found on www.makeyourmarkcompetiton.com. Failure to submit the Certification Statement within thirty-six (36) hours of the submission of the Entry will result in disqualification.
To be eligible for the Contest, Entries must be the original work of the Entrant(s); Entries (i) must be the original and sole creation of the submitting Entrant, and all right, title and interest including but not limited to the copyright in any Entry, must be owned solely by the submitting Entrant; (ii) may not have been submitted in any other competition, (iii) may not have been published; (iv) may not infringe upon any third party’s rights, including but not limited to, copyright, patent or trademark, or rights of privacy or publicity, or contain material that is or may be considered defamatory, slanderous or libelous, or portray or depict any person, product or entity in a false light; (v) may not include third party logos or identifying trademarks, and may not include non-original music; (vi) may not violate any law, rule or regulation; (vii) may not contain any virus, bugs, or other deleterious material; and (viii) may not contain reasonably offensive content, for example but not limited to, profanity, defamatory statements, words or symbols widely considered offensive to individuals of any certain race, ethnicity, religious, sexual orientation or socioeconomic groups, threats to any person, place, business, or group. Each Entrant warrants and represents that his/her Entry complies with all of those conditions. Any non-complying Entry will subject the Entrant to disqualification in the PGA’s’ sole discretion. For purposes of this paragraph, in cases of Entrants of two persons, ownership or creation of one producing team member will be accepted.
The PGA reserves the right to make the final determination as to which Entries are eligible. The PGA also reserves the right to refuse to screen a film/video or to make an announcement regarding the content of the Entry.
M. Notes on Submissions
Nothing other than the Entry, the Entry Agreement, the Contest Releases (when requested) and the Certification Agreement may be submitted. No personal bios, CVs, publicity materials, communications or other items or elements may be submitted. Failure to comply herewith may result in disqualification of your Entry in the sole discretion of the PGA.
Submitted Entries will NOT be returned to Entrant(s).
If your Entry does not conform to the submission requirements, it may be disqualified. Also, if your Entry cannot be viewed on the PGA’s equipment, it may be disqualified.
If you are notified that your Entry is one of the top 10 finalists, you must be prepared to submit a PR photo & credits for your Entry within 2-days of said notification.
No law may be broken in connection with the development, creation, filming or submission of the Entry.
Each Entry and each Entrant’s film/video production and participation must follow all Official Rules.
The PGA may, in its sole discretion, disqualify Entries deemed by the PGA to be inappropriate or otherwise non-compliant.
These Official Rules, along with Contest eligibility, performance, participation, and prize awarding, are subject to the interpretation, rules, modifications, and decisions of the PGA. The PGA reserves the right to revise, change, suspend or discontinue any aspect of the Contest and the prizes at any time without claim for damage or recourse of any kind.
All ERs, members and Entrants are advised to repeatedly consult http://www.makeyourmarkcompetiton.com to review the latest rules.
5. SELECTION OF WINNERS: Eligible Entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
A. Creative Merit – 40% - consisting of:
• entertainment value
B. Technical Execution – 30% - consisting of:
• picture quality
• sound quality
• editing & post-production quality
• production value & effects
C. Execution of the Assignment – 30%
The Contest will be characterized by a specific assignment, requiring films to include a certain theme and a few specific elements. The degree to which each film organically incorporates the elements of the assignment will dictate judges’ evaluation of the films’ Execution of Assignment.
The Contest will award a first prize; second prize and third prize. See the web site for prize details and updates. Entrants agree and acknowledge that the PGA has the sole right to judge the Entries, select the winners and decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest in its sole discretion, and that all decisions of the PGA are final and binding. The PGA reserves the right to substitute a prize (or portions thereof) if a prize (or portions thereof) cannot be awarded as described. The PGA will determine all elements of prizes in its sole discretion. Prizes may not be assigned, transferred, changed or redeemed for cash, except at the sole discretion of the PGA.
The awarding of any prize is contingent upon full compliance with these Official Rules. Entrants agree to be bound by Official Rules. Entrants understand that the PGA is not liable for injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising from participation in this Contest and acceptance, possession and use of a prize. The PGA is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest or in the announcement of the prizes. Decisions of the PGA are final and binding in all respects. All expenses and costs associated with the acceptance or use of the prizes that are not expressly specified in these Official Rules as being part of the prize are the responsibility of the winner. Prize winners will also be required to complete and return a W-9 Form, including his/her Social Security number, which will be used only for the purpose of reporting the winner’s prize earnings to the United States Internal Revenue Service as required by law.
PRIZES ARE AWARDED “AS IS” WITH NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. THE PGA DISCLAIMS ALL AND ANY LIABILITY FOR THE ACTUAL PROVISION, QUALITY OR NATURE OF ANY THIRD PARTY PRODUCT OR SERVICE ACCEPTED BY THE WINNER.
6. By submitting an Entry into this Contest, each Entrant, and each of Entrant’s respective members, including the ER, warrants and represents that the Entrant owns all rights to the Entry he/she/it is entering in this Contest, including, without limitation, the written, musical, video, audio or digital elements, and the performances contained in each Entry. Each ER, member and Entrant further warrants and represents that neither the Entry nor the making thereof will violate or infringe on the rights of any person, and that Entrant has obtained permission from each person who appears in the Entry (or owns any rights with respect thereto) to grant the rights to enter into the Contest and submit the Entry thereto. ER and Entrant each warrants that they have provided these Official Rules to every person appearing in the Entry (or owns any rights with respect thereto), and secured their written consent thereto, prior to submitting the Entry. ER and Entrant each agrees to submit copies of such permissions to the PGA upon request. By submitting an Entry, each of ER, members and Entrant expressly agrees to the Official Rules, as they currently exist or as amended, and further agrees to indemnify and hold the PGA and its affiliates, officers, directors, agents, partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the "Contest Indemnitees”) harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Contest Indemnitees due to or arising out of the Entrant’s Entry materials in the Contest, or the Entrant’s conduct during and in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation. Each of ER, members and Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Indemnitees from any and all claims that any advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of the Contest Indemnitees infringes on the rights of Entrant’s work as contained in any Entry.
7. As a condition of entry, Entrants must agree to the Entry Agreement, which sets forth the rights of Entrant and the PGA with respect to the use of Entries by the PGA. Entries that do not include all required information, and adhere to the foregoing and following requirements, will be considered void and will not be considered in this Contest.
8. If any group of individuals (each a "member”) elects to collaborate on an Entry, they are required to designate one (1) person as their ER (see paragraph 1). The ER shall serve as the agent of the group to enter the Contest, agree to these Official Rules, sign the Entry Agreement and accept the prize on behalf of the group. Neither the PGA nor any of the Contest Indemnitees are liable for any disputes between collaborators, members, vendors, talent or any other persons arising out of or related to the Entry or the Contest. As a condition for any Entry, and being allowed to participate, each member hereby warrants and represents that they have authorized the ER to sign all documents related hereto, and to make any statements made to the PGA or the Contest, on behalf of each member and their respective agents, representatives, assigns and successors, and will hold the Contest Indemnitees fully indemnified and harmless from any dispute with respect thereto.
9. GENERAL CONDITIONS: By participating, Entrants agree to these Official Rules, which are final and binding in all respects. The Contest is governed by the laws of the State of California, USA. As set forth in the Entry Agreement, any unresolved controversy or claim shall be settled by arbitration in Los Angeles, California administered by the American Arbitration Association in accordance with its Commercial Arbitration Rules, including the Optional Rules for Emergency Measures of Protection, and judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator(s) may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof.
10. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by the PGA or affiliated entities or persons resulting from any person’s participation in, or attempt to participate in, the Contest, or ability or inability to upload or download any information in connection with participating in the Contest. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the PGA or affiliated entities or persons for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Contest: hardware or software failures or errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of any web site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the internet or any web site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bug, worm; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the Contest. The PGA and affiliated entities or persons are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on any web site. Use of any affiliated web site is at user’s own risk. The PGA and affiliated entities or persons are not responsible for any personal injury, harm, property damage or loss of any kind which may be sustained to any Entrant or any other person’s person or property resulting from participation in the Contest, use of any affiliated web site or the download of any information. By participating in the Contest, Entrant agrees to, and hereby does, release, indemnify and hold the Contest Indemnitees harmless from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such Entrant’s participation or involvement in the Contest.
11. WINNERS: Winners will be posted online at www.makeyourmarkcompetiton.com –after the awards show on Saturday, November 10, 2018, As a courtesy, winners will also be sent an email to the Entrant’s email as identified on the Entry Agreement. PGA shall not be responsible for any internet or communication malfunctions or problems or any failure of any Entrant to receive any posted or emailed communication. (See paragraph 16 above).
Void where prohibited by law.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Entrants will be required to, and must sign and submit, an Entry Agreement and Certification Statement with their Entry.
The Entry Agreement and Certification Statement are available at:
The Entry Agreement and Certification Statement must be signed on behalf of all members of the Entrant, and each member hereby authorizes, and by participating herein further authorizes, the ER to so sign on their behalf.
Upon submission to Withoutabox please email a copy of the signed Entry Agreement, Release Agreement, and Certification Statement directly to: MakeYourMark@producersguild.org.
Please include your submission tracking number in the subject line of your email.