CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Bloody Hero International Film Festival endeavors to build awareness and promote independent filmmakers and independent cinema in the truest sense of the word.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
We are different. Choosing which film festival to send your film to can be a daunting and painful experience. If I am selected will anybody attend? will my film get screened? What are the incentives for the winners? How much effort will the festival go to in order to assure me that the film will be screen as it was intended to look? How much effort does the festival put into promoting my film? How competitive is the selection process. It goes without saying that these are all very important things to consider. We are film makers ourselves and we know your pain! Let us share with you why this festival would be a great festival to consider in your films run. This festival will be organized differently than most. In collaboration with Phoenix Center for the Arts we will be showing official selections in 5 screening halls. Our festival passes are sold as 1,2 or 3 day passes for attendees. Each film category is paired with a another and the two categories are shown continually throughout the day. This guarantees maximum exposure for the film maker, and maximum viewing for the attendee. In addition each film will be scheduled a screening Sometime during the weekend in the main viewing theater as the official screening for the festival. Official selections at this festival really get a lot of "bang for the buck" when it comes to screen time and viewers.
We are a young festival however we have put a ton of effort and assembled an excellent team to ensure that this is an absolutely top notch event. Being a young festival we are not at the top of everybody's submission list...YET! So the actual number of competing slots vs submissions will serve in the filmmaker's favor as compared to larger more established festivals. But the event as a whole will be rival in quality to more established festivals and is definitely the new contender. This festival is a diamond in the rough. But it won't be long before the secret is out!
We have a very robust promotional campaign and are working tirelessly to gain exposure for the festival and in turn the official selections to be screened. We have a very active film community in the Phoenix area and are just a short drive from LA. It is our mission to get as many eyeballs on your film as we can legally cram into the facility on the festival weekend. (And not for just one screening! All weekend long!) We notify our contacts in the industry of the selections and go to great lengths to get behind and promote the films that we select for the festival.
Here are some great aspects about our festival for your consideration
Multiple screenings/maximum exposure
Fair evaluation of all films
we get behind all official selections and go to great efforts to promote screening and awareness of the films
Connected to a large film community in the Phoenix area
Very cool networking/mixer party free entry to all official selections
Really cool Signature sculpture award for all categories
Monetary and prize awards
We value truly independent films
student only category
press releases of festival results
We really look forward to having you as part of our first annual event.
chris martin (Filmmaker)
1. WHEN AND WHERE IS THE 2013 MIFF?
Feb 8-10, 2013. The Festival takes place at Phoenix Center for the Arts in Phoenix Arizona.
2. DO YOU ACCEPT rough cuts or works in progress?
We do accept rough cuts or works-in-progress, as long as your film will be completed in time to screen at the festival. However, please submit your work-in-progress only if you feel the heart of the film is present. Please indicate which production elements are missing on your entry (for example, the submitted version has scratch music).
3. WILL YOU CONFIRM RECEIPT OF MY ENTRY?
All entries submitted through Withoutabox will be acknowledged on the WAB site when we receive them.
4. DO YOU GRANT FEE WAIVERS?
Out of fairness to other filmmakers, it is our festival's policy NOT to give fee waivers or reductions. We understand filmmaking is an expensive venture, but these fees are necessary to fund the basics of the screening process.
5. WHAT IF MY FILM HAS BEEN BROADCAST ON TV OR RELEASED IN THE US?
If your film has been or will be broadcast on a US TV channel or released in US theaters before the Festival, it is not eligible for Bloody Hero International Film Festival.
6. WHAT IF MY FILM HAS PLAYED AT OTHER US FESTIVALS?
If your film has been shown in Festivals outside of Arizona, the film is still eligible.
7. HOW RECENTLY DOES MY FILM HAVE TO HAVE BEEN PRODUCED?
We require that your film be completed after Jan 1, 2011.
8. WHAT PRIZES ARE GRANTED TO THE WINNERS?
The winner of each category will receive an engraved statue of th Bloody Hero International Film festival Signature Sculpture. Additional prizes and swag will be revealed the night of the awards ceremony.
9. DOES THE FESTIVAL SHOW FILMS FOR CHILDREN?
There is not a specific category for children's films, but we will include standout films of any kind.
10. HOW DO YOU DISTINGUISH SHORTS FROM FEATURES?
Under 60 min is short, over 60 min is feature length.
11. HOW DO I KNOW IF MY FILM IS NTSC OR PAL FORMAT?
Depending on the part of the world that you live in, you either have NTSC or PAL broadcasting formats. Most of North America and many Asian countries (Japan, South Korea) favor the format NTSC, which is short for National Television Standards Committee, while Europe, Australia and some parts of Asia use a competing format called PAL, or Phase Alternating Line. An NTSC formatted DVD won't play on a PAL player and vice versa.
12. CAN I RE-SUBMIT A PREVIOUSLY REJECTED FILM?
You can only re-submit a film if it has been significantly re-edited from the last submission. Please indicate this if you do choose to re-submit.
13. HOW MANY FILMS CAN I SUBMIT?
There is no limit to the number of films you can submit.Each film should be submitted as a separate entry. Just be sure to fill out a separate entry form and pay an entry fee for each entry.
14. CAN I SPEAK WITH SOMEONE ABOUT FEEDBACK OF MY FILM?
Unfortunately, no. Due to the demands of running a smooth event, we cannot commit to speaking individually with filmmakers about why we did not select their films.
15. WHEN WILL I FIND OUT IF MY FILM HAS BEEN SELECTED?
We will notify everyone by email whether their film has been accepted or rejected by January 10, 2013. Please be sure to keep us updated regarding any changes to your e-mail address.
16. IF MY FILM IS NOT ACCEPTED, WILL YOU RETURN MY SUBMISSION?
We do not return submission materials.
Screenplay contest rules
Please read the following Rules and Regulations carefully. If you have a question that is not answered here, please email us at info firstname.lastname@example.org or put in a ticket through our contact page on this website. We do our best to answer all inquires within 72 hours.
1) All scripts must be submitted in English. Entry fees must be paid in U.S. dollars. Entry in the competition is void where prohibited by law.
2) Judges and employees who work for the Bloody Hero International FIlm Festival are not eligible to enter the competition, nor are their affiliates or immediate family members.
3) Screenplays written by up to four people may be entered in the contest. Only one entry fee is required for such entries. All writers names should be listed on the online entry. All writers must authorize submission of the entry. By submitting online to the the Bloody Hero International Film Festival, all writers authorize the submission. If a screenplay is written by multiple authors, all cash awards will be split equally between the writers.
4) To enter your script electronically, you must submit in one of the following formats: .PDF (preferred), Final Draft, Microsoft Word, Rich Text Format, or Text.
5) Entrants to the Bloody Hero International Film Festival Script Contest retain all rights to their screenplays.
6) Entries will not be returned. Be sure to retain a copy of all material submitted.
7) You may submit your entry and payment either online or by mail. No preference will be given to either method of submission.
8) Entries must be mailed and postmarked by the applicable Entry Deadline.
9) Once a script has been entered into competition, we will not accept substitutions or revised drafts. If you wish to submit a revised draft of your script, you must enter it as a new submission.
10) The Bloody Hero International Film Festival Script Contest will not share your screenplay with anyone except the official judges of the competition.
11) By entering the Bloody Hero International Film Festival Script Contest, you represent that your entry is your original work, and does not infringe on the copyright or other rights of other people.
12) Entry fees are non-refundable.
13) Screenplays submitted by mail should be clearly marked contact information and phone numbers
14) Submissions must be the original work of the applicant. Entries may be adapted from the applicant's own work.
15) The decisions of the judges are final.
16) The Bloody Hero International Film Festival Script Contest reserves the right to make any necessary changes, postponements, or cancellations to event scheduling at our discretion.
17) Notification of winners and official finalists will be sent by email and posted on our website on January 10, 2013. It is the responsibility of the winners to redeem any prizes allotted to them by the Bloody Hero International Film Festival Script Contest or our sponsors. Applicants will be repsonsible for providing current contact information and mailing addresses for prize redemption purposes.
18) By submitting to the Bloody Hero International Film Festival Script Contest, you represent that your entry is your original work, you are authorized to submit to the Contest, and your entry does not infringe on the copyright or other rights of other people.
Screenplays must be standard feature film length (70-130 pages) and standard U.S. format
only. Short Films must be under 40 pages.
Screenplays must be in English.
Screenplays must be completed by entry deadline.
Applicant must be over the age of 18 years.
Screenplays must have a title page which includes only the title. The applicant's name should
not appear on the cover or any other page of the screenplay. Judges will not be aware of
the entrant's name.
Entry must include an application. For Postal Mail entries, application can be downloaded here. Keep a copy of your completed application form for
reference. For online entries please complete the form below.
For confirmation that we received your entry, include a self-addressed stamped postcard.
There is no limit to the number of entries per entrant provided separate applications and
submission fees accompany each entry.
The Festival is not responsible for screenplays lost or damaged in transit.
Screenplays will not be returned.
Please make a copy of your screenplay for your files.
selected as Finalists will receive two all festival passes to the Bloody Hero International Film Festival to be held on February 8,9 and 10 2013. Any winner in attendance will be presented with awards at the official festival awards ceremony.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Our aim is to make this process as easy for you as we want it to be for us. But alas, as with everything there are some minimum requirements that we need to clarify in order to be able to view and evaluate the films.
Films must have been completed after Jan. 1, 2011
All non-English films must have English sub-titles.
Films must be submitted on DVD in (Region 0 or 1).
DVDs and other submission materials will not be returned to the submitter
Films may also be submitted in Quicktime .h264 or MP4 formats
*** we will accept online/digital delivery of films. Through Withoutabox you will be prompted on how to complete this process or to submit online screener directly to us, choose the submit direct option under the film submissions tab above. There is a field to provide username and password data as well as a space for any additional instructions. (Please note the simpler the log in process the better, we will not install 3rd party content in order to view online screener submissions)
Works-in-progress will be considered, provided they will be completed prior to the Festival.
Preview DVD should be labeled with the title, running-time, contact email and phone number.
Please do NOT send stills or press kits. If your film is selected we will ask you to email us a still image.
All films selected for the festival grant Bloody Hero Film Fest the rights to use DVD and press materials from the film for promotional purposes.
Bloody Hero Film Fetival is permitted to retain DVD copies of each film selected as part of our festival library and for media educational use.
You may submit more than one film, but each one must be on a separate DVD and must be accompanied by its own completed submission form and entry fee.
If you would like to make sure that we received your submission, please enclose a self-addressed, stamped postcard which we will send back to you as your confirmation. or a digitally printed email address will do. The Festival will not confirm receipt of film by telephone.