SPECIAL SUBMISSIONS ONLY • Final deadlines have passed. If
you have a deadline waiver or special instructions from the event,
select a Category of Entry to continue.
|Narrative (fiction) films of 40 minutes or less from any filmmaker produced anywhere in the world are accepted for entry.
|Narrative (fiction) films greater than 40 minutes in length, from any filmmaker produced anywhere in the world are accepted for entry.
|Documentary films greater than 40 minutes in length, from any filmmaker produced anywhere in the world are accepted for entry.
|Documentary films of 40 minutes or less minutes from any filmmaker produced anywhere in the world are accepted for entry.
|Heartland Student Short
|Student films of 40 minutes or less in any genre: animation, documentary, narrative, fiction from * Kansas or Missouri.
|KCWIFT Short Screenplay Contest
|The KCWIFT & Kansas City FilmFest Short Screenplay Contest was started to support female screenwriters, as well as to encourage all writers to create strong female protagonists. Contest winners will be eligible to receive prizes that support these goals!
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Kansas City FilmFest unites educational, cultural and film organizations in a celebration of independent filmmaking. Each year the festival builds on its tradition of bringing inspiring, thought-provoking, and entertaining films to Kansas City audiences and offers opportunities for artists and filmmakers to network, and develop their craft and art. KCFF encourages filmmakers to attend the festival so they can have the opportunity to interact and engage with our great Kansas City audiences!
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
KC FilmFest is celebrating it’s 22nd year of bringing independent film to Kansas City audiences. Please join us!
• Five days of independent films from around the country and the world
• 120 + narrative and documentary shorts and features
• All topics and including film tracks on CinemaJazz, Women Directed Films, Latin Cinema, Black Voices Matter, Alternate Stories, World Cinema, Every Game Has a Story, the KCWIFT Screenwriting Contest and more.
• Filmmaker panels, seminars, opening receptions and nightly after-parties
• Three audience awards & nine juried awards selected by film professionals from across the U.S.
• Engaged, enthusisastic, arts-oriented audiences
• Five screens at Cinemark Palace on the Country Club Plaza
• Located in the heart of the Country Club Plaza, the unique 15 block outdoor shopping district with 11 restaurants, dozens of restaurants, galleries, shops, and just blocks from the internationally recognized Nelson Atkins Museum of Art.
•Visiting Filmmakers are treated to a complimentary tour of the American Jazz Museum, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and a KC BBQ lunch!
Over the years, our visiting filmmakers let us know how much they've enjoyed screening for, and interacting with, our engaged and enthusiastic audiences! Filmmakers planning on attending should notify Kansas City FilmFest as soon as possible, so their names may be listed in the scheduled program with their film to be in attendance.
Final jurors for KC FilmFest 2018 will come from a selection of industry professionals in filmmaking, distribution, film media, and festival programmers.
The Kansas City FilmFest is the longest running and largest film festival in the Kansas City Metro Area. It's presented and governed by the Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee, a nonprofit arts organization, which debuted its first film festival in April 1997.
KCFF also hosts Reel Spirit: a 2nd-12th grade program, led by educators seeking to educate students and mentors; engage imaginations and empower future leaders though filmmaking.
Barbara Noble (Board Chair); Stacey Woelfel (Vice Chair); Veronica Elliott Loncar (Executive Director)
Fiction, experimental and/or animation films may be original or adapted from a previously published source. All footage must be original. Documentaries may include footage from other sources. In ALL genres the music may be original or an interpretation but you must certify receipt of any and all releases &/or permissions. To be considered for competition, no public screening should have been held in the Kansas City Metro Area past December 1, 2017.
Submission implies acceptance of the Rules and Regulations by all producers, directors and/or their agents submitting material.
• NO ENTRY FEE WAIVERS.
• Works in progress will NOT be considered for competition or screened at KC FilmFest 2018.
• All work must be completed and submitted no later than the deadline date (December 15, 2017.)
• Entries must have been completed no later than September 1, 2016.
• All films must be in English or subtitled in English.
• The filmmaker(s) must secure all rights, licenses, clearances and releases necessary for exhibition. A completed entry will be accepted as acknowledgment of the entrant having done so.
• All entry materials become the property of the Kansas City FilmFest and will not be returned. No refunds. By submitting this material you acknowledge the Jubilee's right to copy any submitted material for KC FilmFest's non-commercial use only.
• All determinations will be made and clarified by Kansas City FilmFest programmers and jurors. Their decisions are final. Kansas City FilmFest reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any project and to rule on cases not foreseen by these guidelines. Work will be classified as a competitive or non-competitive entry at the sole discretion of Kansas City FilmFest.
ACCEPTED FILMS: Should your film be accepted in the 2018 KC FilmFest, you grant KC FilmFest the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the KC FilmFest for promotional purposes.
Agreements: If your film or video is accepted for screening by the KC FilmFest 2018, you agree to and understand the following:
• FORMAT: You agree to provide the festival a digital upload for exhibition. DCP must be approved by the Content Manager. ONLY feature films may send DCP. Films must be received no later than March 16, 2018 so we can build the program reels.
• SHIPPING: If you are mailing an exhibition copy, you are responsible for the arrangements and cost of shipping the exhibition copy to the Kansas City FilmFest.
• PUBLICITY: Upon acceptance, you must supply Kansas City FilmFest with digital stills and other digital and printed press materials. You should be available for interviews prior to and during KC FilmFest 2018.
• LOSS & DAMAGE: Every precaution will be taken to safeguard films, videos and publicity materials while they are in the possession of the KC FIlmFest/Jubilee. However, if loss or damage occurs, Kansas City FilmFest/Jubilee cannot accept or assume responsibility.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I have read, understood and complied with all eligibility requirements of the categories for which I would like this film to be considered.
To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements in this document are true.
The film entered is not subject to litigation nor is threatened by any litigation.
I am duly authorized to submit this film to the Festival and its Competition and understand that the Festival holds the right to screen my film for Festival screening and promotional purposes and to extract clips from this film for promotional purposes. I understand this may include online streaming of clips on Festival or Festival sponsor sites.
KCWIFT and Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee/Kansas City FilmFest are hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any script submitted and accepted for promotional purposes. Due to the volume of submissions, KCWIFT will NOT return copies of submitted scripts. KCWIFT will request and is hereby granted the right to use footage from the project funded and created from the winning screenplay for promotional purposes related to KCWIFT and the KCWIFT & Kansas City FilmFest Short Screenplay Contest. This includes but is not limited to the KCWIFT and the Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee/Kansas City FilmFest websites, screenings, and social media platforms. Neither KCWIFT nor Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee/Kansas City FilmFest holds any ownership rights to projects completed as a result of the KCWIFT & Kansas City FilmFest Short Screenplay Contest, nor are KCWIFT and Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee/Kansas City FilmFest responsible for projects’ production, promotion or distribution.