SPECIAL SUBMISSIONS ONLY • Final deadlines have passed. If
you have a deadline waiver or special instructions from the event,
select a Category of Entry to continue.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Now in its 20th year, the Los Angeles Film Festival showcases the best in American and international cinema while fostering a community of filmmakers, filmgoers and the film industry.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Los Angeles Film Festival showcases the best in new American and international cinema and provides the movie-loving public with access to critically acclaimed filmmakers, film industry professionals and emerging cinematic talent. With films from around the globe—many making their world, North American or U.S. premieres—the Los Angeles Film Festival is a true celebration of film, set in the entertainment capital of the world.
Taking place in the heart of vibrant downtown Los Angeles, the Festival also boasts exciting live musical performances and numerous parties and informal gatherings, as well as the exclusive, pre-festival Filmmaker Retreat.
Recent gala premieres include James Wan's The Conjuring, Nicolas Winding Refn's Only God Forgives, Hong Sangsoo's Nobody's Daughter Haewon, Woody Allen’s To Rome with Love, Steven Soderbergh’s Magic Mike, Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive, Richard Linklater’s Bernie, Hayao Miyasaki’s Ponyo and Michael Mann’s Public Enemies. Recent premiere acquisitions include Mark Covino and Jeff Howlett's A Band Called Death (sold to Drafthouse Films), Todd Berger’s It’s a Disaster (Oscilloscope Laboratories), Richard Linklater’s Bernie (Millennium Entertainment), Richard Hallam and Patrick Horvath’s Entrance (IFC Films), James Franco’s The Broken Tower (Focus Features) and Stephen Walker's Young@Heart (Fox Searchlight).
Select narrative features, documentary features and short films participate in the Festival’s three competitive sections, the winners of which are chosen by a special jury. Most features and shorts are also eligible for Audience Awards, which are chosen based on ballots submitted by Festival audiences. The Festival is a qualifying festival in all categories for the Film Independent Spirit Awards and the Cinema Eye Honors for Nonfiction Filmmaking, as well as for the Narrative, Animated and Documentary Short Film categories of the Academy Awards.
The Festival also hosts Fast Track, a program of Film Independent that is designed to help filmmakers move their current projects—narrative as well as documentary—forward. Fast Track is a film financing market that connects them financiers, production companies and other industry professionals. This highly selective program is open to established as well as up-and-coming filmmakers with exceptional projects still seeking funding.
The Los Angeles Film Festival is a program of Film Independent, a non-profit, membership film organization that champions independent film and supports a community of artists who embody diversity, innovation, and uniqueness of vision. Film Independent also presents the Spirit Awards, the premier awards event of the independent film community.
David Ansen (Artistic Director)
; Doug Jones (Associate Director of Programming)
; Stephanie Allain (Festival Director)
If your film or music video is selected for exhibition, please be advised that the Festival will require:
--For features: 35mm, DCP (must be DCI compliant) or HDCam (not HDCam SR).
--For shorts: 35mm, DCP (must be DCI compliant) or HDCam (not HDCam SR)
--For music videos: Quicktime Files (Native Resolution, using Pro-Res 422 Codec) on DVD Data Disc or Hard Drive
--For high school shorts: Quicktime Files (Native Resolution, using Pro-Res 422 Codec) on DVD Data Disc or Hard Drive
- Digital press kits with photo stills (color and black/white)
- Headshots of Director(s) and Writer(s)
- Biographies of Director(s) and Writer(s)
- Trailers, clip reels, posters, postcards, and EPKs, if available, to maximize exposure for your film
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I, the undersigned, acknowledge and agree as follows:
• I have read, understood, and complied with all eligibility requirements.
• All the statements in this document are true.
• In consideration for the opportunity to be selected into the LA Film Festival, I release and discharge Film Independent, Inc., the Los Angeles Film Festival, its employees, agents, contractors, volunteers, licensees, successors and assigns (collectively “FIND”) from any and all claims, demands or causes of actions related to misappropriation or infringement of copyright or violation of any other right arising out of or relating to my submission hereunder.
• I agree to indemnify and hold harmless FIND from any claims that arise as a result of this submission or screening of my film (should it be selected) as well as from damage to or loss of any submitted materials en route to the festival.
• I have all rights necessary and am duly authorized to submit this film to the Festival.
• This film is not subject to any claims or litigation and is not threatened by any claims or litigation.
• I understand, as the authorized representative, any prizes will be awarded to the director(s) of the winning films.