CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
|FILMS (see all film categories)
|HERE ARE THE DIFFERENT CATEGORIES FOR FILM SUBMISSIONS:
1. FEATURE ANIMATION FILM
2. FEATURE DOCUMENTARY FILM
3. FEATURE FILM FOR KIDS
4. FEATURE MUTI-MEDIA FILM
5. FEATURE NARRATIVE FILM
6. FILMED TV PILOT
7. MUSIC VIDEO
8. SHORT ANIMATION FILM
9. SHORT DOCUMENTARY FILM
10. SHORT FILM
11. SHORT FILM BY KIDS 18 & UNDER
12. SHORT FILM FOR KIDS
13. SHORT MULTI-MEDIA FILM
|WRITTEN WORKS (see all writing categories)
|HERE ARE THE DIFFERENT CATEGORIES FOR SUBMITTING WRITTEN WORKS:
1. FEATURE SCREENPLAY
2. FEATURE SCREENPLAY FOR KIDS
4. MUSICAL FEATURE SCREENPLAY
5. MUSICAL SHORT SCREENPLAY
6. ORIGINAL TV MINI-SERIES (1 HR)
7. RADIO DOCUMENTARY
8. RADIO PLAY (comedy & drama)
9. SHORT SCREENPLAY
10. SHORT SCREENPLAY BY 18 & UNDER
11. SHORT SCREENPLAY FOR KIDS
12. SHORT STORY BY KIDS*
13. SHORT STORY FOR KIDS*
14. SHORT STORY*
16. STAGEPLAY OR MUSICAL FOR KIDS
17. TV EPISODIC (1 HOUR)
18. TV EPISODIC (1/2 HOUR)
19. TV MOVIE OF THE WEEK (MOW)
20. TV PILOT SCRIPT
21. TREATMENT for script or film
|FILM SCORES & ORIGINAL MUSIC
|Your submission may be a spec film score (not on film), or a series of original music on a CD ROM or audio-tape, or it can be a part of a produced film. If it's in a produced film, please send a DVD of the film.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
*Thanks a million for all the fine submissions Moondance has received in 2015. The final submission deadline has now passed, and we are not accepting any more entries. Please subscribe to our popular news-blog (http://www.moondancefilmfestival.com/blog) for more info, and we hope to see you at the 16th annual Moondance film festival, September 7th & 8th in beautiful Boulder, Colorado USA. *
MOONDANCE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
Our objective for this competition and film festival is to inspire, promote and encourage screenwriters and independent filmmakers, and the very best work in film & film scripts, stage plays, TV scripts, musical film scores, librettos, radio plays & short stories. Moondance provides a professional forum in which those creative, talented & dedicated artists can have the opportunity for their work to be viewed and accepted by the powers that be, within the international film & entertainment community.
Our work on reaching out toward filmmakers, writers and film score composers everywhere in the world is primary and ongoing. Writers and filmmakers from all six continents, and from a wide diversity of ethnic and linguistic groups are an integral part of our mission and goals. We seek to inspire and invigorate this creative potential to perceive, conceptualize, and produce their works for the benefit of the world society. We are dedicated to preserving their accumulated accomplishments and visions as expressed through the art of film, music and writings.
Moondance promises to raise awareness of the invaluable contributions of creative talents to the entertainment community. Equity in the film industry does not mean stifling some voices so that others may be heard; it does not demand the compromising of personal standards to achieve success. Equity creates new standards which accommodate and nurture differences. Equity fosters the individual voice, investing talented people with confidence in their own authority. Equity unleashes the creative potential. We see the equal treatment of all, and the equal respect for all responses they explore, as essential to their and our ultimate goals.
Independent filmmakers, writers and composers are vocal and active participants in the social forces that shape our culture. They portray people as three-dimensional, complex human beings and thus defy the demeaning and pervasive stereotypes perpetuated by the mainstream media.
We are also dedicated to promoting visibility for women in Hollywood and their impact on the film industry, and we see this as a means to disrupt and correct the misogynous, fantastical, passive, destructive and denigrating visual representation of females that has, historically, been rendered by men in media and has for so long and so plentifully pervaded our visual culture.
Moondance promotes, encourages, educates and rewards non-violent conflict resolution in the arts & film. Our much-coveted Columbine Awards are given to the filmmakers, writers and composers (of any age) who best depict alternatives to violence as a method of dealing with conflicts, whether personal, local, national or international, and/or show why violence as a solution to conflict is ultimately counter-productive and inhumane.
Moondance is dedicated to promoting environmental awareness and preservation, and we award the Calypso Award to those filmmakers, writers and composers who create meaningful, educational and entertaining works toward this goal, and inspire others to do likewise.
Our mission is to entertain, to inform, to inspire, to encourage and to educate. We believe that films and scripts can contribute to a healthier society and that films and scripts should encourage the active involvement of audiences to connect and act collectively to address social challenges.
Winning and finalist films and scripts are innovative, distinctive, compelling and engaging, relevant to varied audiences and encourage participation. We are eager to continue to be one of the most important film festivals in the world by being innovative, risk-taking, and open to new thinking, new concepts, new talent, and new ways of telling stories.
Our film programs are always well rounded, entertaining, and enlightening, highlighting diverse cultures, opinions, and stories. We welcome individual expression and are committed to presenting diverse points of view. Moondance aims to entertain, increase awareness, provide multiple viewpoints, address complex social issues, provide forums for deliberation, and strengthen ties between a large variety of international audiences.
The long-term vision of the Moondance International Film Festival is to preserve and revitalize our intangible heritage, cultivate creative diversity, develop an intercultural dialogue, and stimulate this creative resource. Our mission is to present a vibrant and growing collection of films and writings, which is an ideal means for communication across perceived boundaries of race, culture, age and gender. These works document the complexity and depth of men's & women's experiences that will become widely accessible within the world film industry and to the public, and will encourage and inspire others to write, compose music and to make films.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The annual Moondance International Film Festival is for the benefit of both women & men, and all are encouraged to submit entries & to attend the film festival.
MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL AWARDS CATEGORIES:
-SPIRIT OF MOONDANCE AWARD
This award category is for women writers, filmmakers & composers. Men may be co-writers or co-filmmakers, but the entry must be submitted by a woman.
-MOONDANCE SEAHORSE AWARD
This award category is for men writers, filmmakers & composers. Women may be co-writers or co-filmmakers, but the entry must be submitted by a man.
-MOONDANCE SANDCASTLE AWARD
This award is for male and female co-writing, co-directing filmmaking & film score co-composer teams where both men and women or a man and woman work as principals on the project.
-MOONDANCE COLUMBINE AWARD
Films and writings may be by either a man or a woman or a male/female tam, or an 18 & under, or 75 & over entrant. The work must reflect non-violent conflict resolution, alternatives to violence, or show why violent resolution to conflict is counter-productive. The submitted material may not contain gratuitous violence. ALL entries will be considered eligible for the Columbine Award category
-MOONDANCE DOLPHIN AWARD
This award is for young people 18 years of age or younger, at time of submission, male or female. Moondance accepts submissions for this award in the genres of short narrative, short documentary or animation video film, as well as short screenplays, short stories or short stageplays.
-MOONDANCE CALYPSO AWARD
This award is to encourage a spirit of enterprise in saving the environment, habitats and wildlife, or enhancing awareness of a spiritual life, by creative individuals from around the world. The award is presented to the person who expands knowledge of our world, seeks to improve our quality of all life on the planet, and contributes to the betterment of humankind.
-MOONDANCE NEPTUNE AWARD
This unique award is presented to a male or female writer or filmmaker, over the age of 75, who has created either a single work of the highest quality or a body of quality work, and who continues to strive for excellence in his or her career in the entertainment industry, and who inspires and encourages others by his or her example.
-MOONDANCE GAIA AWARD
This award is to encourage and inspire contemplative, meditative, spiritual and inspirational films, scripts, stageplays, short stories & film scores. The award is presented to the person who seeks to elucidate and improve the spiritual quality of all life on the planet, and contributes to the betterment of the world spirit.
-MOONDANCE ATLANTIS AWARD
This award is for any winning project, in any category, from outside the US.
-MOONDANCE STARFISH AWARD
This award is for any winning project, in any category, in the comedy genre.
• MOONDANCE COLORADO OCEAN AWARD: This is an award for projects created by Colorado writers, filmmakers & composers.
• THE MOONDANCE ABYSS AWARD: This award was created in 2009 for very well-made and meaningful thriller, horror or supernatural films, written works & film scores. An abyss, usually in the ocean, is a chasm that is so deep and vast that its extent is not readily visible, without further exploration. The winning works in this awards category also have a deeper, and often hidden, message, lesson, moral, or important idea that bears further thought.
• SEVEN SEAS AWARD: This is an award for a winning project created by writers, filmmakers & composers, who enlighten others, help change perceptions about another culture and/or place, and promote cross-cultural knowledge and awareness, through the art of film, writing or music, and, thus, encourage a better understanding of the world’s people.
*MOONDANCE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DECLINE AWARDING PRIZES IN ANY AWARD CATEGORY OR GENRE IF THERE ARE NONE SUBMITTED THAT ARE SUITABLE. Not all awards are presented each season.
Elizabeth English (Executive Director)
MOONDANCE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
PLEASE REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE MOONDANCE NEWS BLOG AT: www.moondancefilmfestival.com/blog for announcements, notifications, news & insider tips!
1. SUBMISSION CATEGORIES:
WRITTEN WORKS SUBMISSIONS: feature screenplays, short screenplays, feature & short musical screenplays, feature & short screenplays for children, 1, 2 or 3-act stageplays, mini-series for TV, television movies of the week, television pilots, libretti, short stories, radio plays short stories for children ...and more! A logline and synopsis must be included. Digital submissions accepted.
FILM SUBMISSIONS: DVDs in NTSC format are the preferred format for submitting film entries to the competition. DVDs in NTSC format or PAL accepted for features, short narratives, feature documentaries, short documentaries, animation, music videos, multi-media narrative shorts & features, features & shorts for children & shorts by young filmmakers 18 & under. Please note running time on entry form and on DVD! A logline and/or synopsis must be included. Digital submissions accepted.
* Do not use paper labels on DVDS! Paper labels often cause your DVD to stick, skip, pixillate and stop.
Make sure all info is is on the DVD disk and/or on the plastic case or paper envelope. Info needed: TITLE OF FILM, TRT (run-time), YOUR CONTACT INFO, and WAB TRACKING NUMBER.
Please DO NOT package your submission for mailing in kapok-filled (shredded paper) envelopes! Bubble-wrap is best.
If you send your entry fee by company check, please write your name and the title of your submission on the check.
FOREIGN SUBMISSIONS: You must mark the customs declaration: "commercial sample only, no dollar value". Moondance will not pay customs duties or fees.
FILM SCORES: spec CDs, narrative feature, short, documentary, multi-media & animation film scores. Send CD & NTSC DVD or PAL tape, if the film has been produced. The music submitted does not have to be from a produced film! You may submit music "on spec" for potential films. If your film score is on a produced film, please send a DVD in NTSC with your CD. Digital submissions accepted.
2. If your preview submission is in PAL format, and is selected for screening at the film festival, you must send us an NTSC format. The film festival will only screen NTSC formatted DVDs.
3. Send screenplays, stageplays, teleplays, libretti, short stories, or radio plays in standard industry format. Please use solid brass brads or fasteners for scripts! Cheaper brass-colored brads fall out after reading a few pages.
For TV pilots, Please send the pilot script, a logline and one-page synopsis of the pilot, a one-page character list and notes on the characters, one page of loglines or mini-synopses of several subsequent episodes, and title page with your contact info. You may bind the entire package in with the pilot script.
* All written entries must have a logline and.or one-page synopsis included after the title page.
4. Films not in English must have English subtitles. No dubbed video tapes or DVDs will be previewed or considered.
5. Pay online at WAB or send a personal or company check with your submission for entry fee in US $, which is non-refundable, payable to: Moondance Film Festival. You may also pay the entry fee at: www.acteva.com/go/miff
6. Entries must be postmarked by the deadline date. This is not a "received by" date, but a postmark date.
7. ANNOUNCEMENTS: Contest winners will be announced in advance of the festival event, via our news blog and on the Moondance website. Formal in-person announcements will be at the Moondance Film Festival awards ceremony, where awards will be given out. The finalists and winners will also be announced in the Moondance news blog and the winning entries will be posted on the Moondance website. If your film is selected for screening, or if your submission is a finalist, please make every effort to attend the film festival.
8. DO NOT send an SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope), as preview materials cannot be returned.
9. You may enter more than one written work, CD, DVD, or PAL tape. There is no limit on how many entries you may submit, but each entry must have a separate entry and entry fee. You may send multiple submissions together in one package.
10. Short-story writers may submit up to three (3) short stories for a single entry fee. Up to three short stories may be listed on a single entry form. 10K words, max, each.
11. Films & written works may on spec (not produced) or produced. They may have been written or filmed any time, any year. Stageplays may be submitted even if they have been produced on stage, or published. Short stories may be submitted in book form, if published. Radio plays may be produced or not produced (on spec).
12. If not paying your entry fee via credit card online at WAB, send the entry fee with your submission, in $US dollars for each entry, in the form of personal check, company check, bank money order, international money order, American Express Travelers Cheque, or international postal money order, payable to MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL.
13. All submissions will be acknowledged via email. Include the emails for all individual production crew and co-writer(s) who may be interested in learning the results of the competition.
14. PUBLICITY PHOTOS: If your film is selected for screening, you will be asked to send us several publicity stills for the film, as a .jpg attachment to an e-mail, if you are submitting a feature, short, documentary, multi-media or animation film.
15. Screenplays, stageplays , teleplays, radio plays, lyrics, librettos & short stories may be written in English or translated into English* for submission to competitions.
*Note: we now have readers for scripts in several languages: Spanish, German, Dutch, and Africaans. If you wish to submit a script in a language other than English, please contact: email@example.com, & we will give you the address for sending the script to a foreign-language reader/judge.
16. Feature, short, documentary & animation DVD(s) or PAL tape(s) may be submitted by the screenwriter, director, producer, production company, distributor, an actor, composer, animator, editor &/or cinematographer.
17. Read & submit the MIFF entry & release form, if not using WAB for submissions.
18. Moondance reserves the right to decline selecting a semi-finalist, finalist or winner in any category and at any stage of the judging if there are no acceptable entries or finalists in that category.
20. Mail or courier all submissions to:
MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL
970 9th STREET
BOULDER, CO 80302 USA
* PLEASE CHECK OUT the "Writers, Read This" or "Filmmakers, Read This" , and "Two Brads or Three?" suggestions & advice on how to submit and win film industry competitions, at the Moondance E-zine: www.moondancefilmfestival.com
1. LABEL YOUR FILM with your WAB tracking #, title, running time and the director's name. Please don't toss a blank DVD or VHS without any kind of label, in an envelope. We don't have time to label your film for you!
2. Do not package your film with Kraft-type shredded paper or kapok filling!!! It gets all over everything when it's opened, and the junk ruins your DVD or VHS. Bubble-wrap is best.
3. You MUST select what awards category you're submitting for:
SPIRIT OF MOONDANCE: women
SANDCASTLE: male-female team
DOLPHIN: 18 years of age or younger
NEPTUNE: 75 years of age or older
WAB has a special question space for you to select what awards category you're submitting for! Please use it!
4. Do not use paper labels on DVDS! Paper labels often cause your DVD to stick, skip, pixilate and stop.
5. Make sure all info is is on the DVD disk and/or on the plastic case or paper envelope. Info needed: TITLE OF FILM, TRT (run-time), YOUR CONTACT INFO
6. FOREIGN LANGUAGE: If you would like to submit your entry in Dutch, German, Spanish, or Africaans to the Moondance competition, please contact Elizabeth English at: firstname.lastname@example.org, with MIFF FOREIGN LANGUAGE in the subject line, and you will receive special instructions for sending your Moondance screenplay submission to our foreign-language readers. Foreign-language scripts are judged equally with English-language scripts and there is no extra charge for this service.
7. FOREIGN SUBMISSIONS: You must mark the customs declaration: "commercial sample only, no dollar value". Moondance will not pay customs duties or fees.
8. Write a great LOGLINE or MINI-SYNOPSIS of 25 words or so on the WAB page for your film or written project. A good logline helps sell the project! Read the titles & loglines article on the Moondance e-zine "First Impressions" for how-to tips.
9. SHORT STORIES @ WAB: HOW-TO
Just submit the short stories as a script, and add a note about it, if you want. The entry fee is the same for stories and scripts, anyway. If you're going to submit 3 short stories, which we do recommend, be sure to put all 3 on the same page at WAB, title it whatever you want (3 SHORT STORIES, or whatever!) and that way you'll get a single tracking number for the submission, and only pay 1 entry fee. Also, if you get a window from WAB saying your submission doesn't match Moondance categories, just ignore it and move on to the next page. Digital submissions accepted.
10. MUSIC COMPOSERS SUBMITTING VIA WAB: HOW-TO:
Due to the limited options (film or script) offered by WAB when you begin the process of submitting your entry, just submit your music entry as a script or film to Moondance, and add a note about it, if you want. The entry fee is the same for music and scripts, anyway. Also, if you get a window from WAB saying your submission doesn't match Moondance categories, just ignore it and move on to the next page. Digital submissions accepted.
Thanks a million!!! We look forward to previewing your submission!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Digital Signature indicates you have read, understand and agree to abide by all category and general festival rules & regs as laid out on Withoutabox and:
**I HAVE (OR WILL) LABELED MY SCREENER (DVD, TAPE or SCRIPT) WITH MY WAB TRACKING ID NUMBER.
**I WILL NOT SEND MY SUBMISSION USING A FIBER-FILLED ENVELOPE.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE MOONDANCE NEWS BLOG AT: www.moondancefilmfestival.com/blog for announcements, notifications, news & insider tips!
Moondance International Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Moondance International Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.