DECISIONS ALREADY MADE
• This event has already made decisions and notified
submitters for the current cycle. Submissions are no longer being
|Shorts: All Categories
|Whether it's comedy, drama, documentary, Horror, Animation, Experimental, ect. We take all kinds - send it in for Shorts all categories. If it's under 30 minutes and tells a great story - this is for you.
(Note: Comedy Shorts under 5 minutes should be considered for submission to "Flick My Clip" - a selection of super short comedy films curated by Ryan Singer. More info available at FilmDayton.com/festival)
|Features: All Categories
|Do you have a great story that needs to be seen? Submit your feature film to this years FilmDayton Festival. This is our first year to have feature film submission to our festival so you can be the first films to have the honor. Films must be a least 45 min+ in length to be considered for this festival. We are taking all categories including narrative films, documentaries, horror, animation, international films and more.
|Ohio Shorts: Ohio Filmmakers/Locations
|FilmDayton is Ohio Proud! We're ready to show off our regional talent with a dedicated Ohio Shorts screening. Anything goes here - if it's good and it's got a significant Ohio connection (filmed in Ohio, written by resident, directed by native, stars local graduate, etc) - it could get seen at the FilmDayton Festival as part of Ohio Shorts.
|Ohio Features: Ohio Filmmakers/Locations
|Are you from the great state of Ohio or did you shoot your feature here? Submit your Ohio feature film to this year's FilmDayton Festival. This is our first year to have feature film submissions to our festival so you can be the first films to have the honor. Films must be a least 60 min+ in length to be considered for this festival. If your film has an Ohio connection (Filmed here, Someone in the cast and crew are from Ohio) submit to this category. We accept all categories including narrative, documentary, horror, animation and more.
|High School Short Films
|If you are in High school love film and want to showcase your work this is the category for you. FilmDayton would love to showcase films from the next generation in filmmakers. Please add what high school you attend in the description. Films must be under 15 min in length.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
FilmDayton is dedicated to fostering the growth of our regional film industry and audience.
FilmDayton offers education, professional development, arts and production support to filmmakers in the region. As a major aspect of our mission, we host the annual FilmDayton Festival which introduces our audience to new short films from across the country and highlights features with a strong regional connection.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The FilmDayton Festival launched as an all-volunteer labor of love dedicated to showcasing the great talent connected to the Dayton region. In early years, films were welcomed by invitation only with a focus on locally-connected films and filmmakers including winners from SXSW, Sundance, True/False Festivals.
After years of growing crowds and great success, we've added a submission element for shorts and features in varied genres. With a special eye to Ohio-talent, we are dedicated to supporting independent filmmakers from across the country (and world) and sharing their work with our engaged and film-saavy regional audiences.
The FilmDayton Festival draws strongly on audiences from the Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati areas as well as visitors from Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Florida and New York.
WHAT VISITING FILMMAKERS ARE SAYING:
“Just wanted to connect and say thank you for all of your great work on making FilmDayton a success! I had a great time, and hope to be able to show more work with you guys in the future."
"The workshops were very helpful,, and my whole family had fun at Pitch It!...filmmakers or not. I really enjoyed seeing the careful cultivation you guys are working on within the film community in Dayton. That is not something commonly found and your community should feel lucky."
"Thanks again for all of your work, and I look forward to seeing you again in the future!”
“Congratulations to you and your marvelous staff. Here's to our future collaboration and to future festivals!”
“Just a note to say how pro, considerate and convenient this and the subsequent email (with the ticket download links) were. Our short is in several festivals right now, and none of them have taken the initiative to send filmmakers tickets or passes to their screenings. What a delight the FilmDayton fest is!”
“My weekend in Dayton gave me a window into a small but vibrant film community. FilmDayton has managed to organize a respectable, welcoming, and learning based film community. Coming from Portland, it was nice to see people working together, talking each other up, not down, and really respecting one another. Sometimes Portland filmmakers could use a reminder of what treating others well is like. Why can’t we all build community that is really trying to improve, teach, and aim higher instead of tearing others down? That is my wish for the Portland film community over worldwide recognition, fame, or anything else.”
David Temmesfeld (Festival Submission Coordinator); David Temmesfeld (Festival Submission Coordinator)
Film Dayton, Inc. (“FilmDayton”) is a non-profit, volunteer-driven organization dedicated to building the Dayton region’s film community.
As part of the mission of FilmDayton to cultivate, educate, support and promote our film community, we are thrilled to host an annual film festival that has become a popular destination for film lovers, film makers and audiences looking for a great weekend.
The following provides the general regulations and guidelines (“Regulations and Guidelines”) governing the submission of a film (“Film”) by an authorized representative, agent, or owner of the Film (“Applicant”) to FilmDayton to be considered for the FilmDayton Film Festival (“ Festival”).
- The Festival dates are (tentatively) Oct. 23-25, 2015.
- If your Film is selected for screening at the Festival, you are invited to attend the Festival, at your own expense, to promote and support your Film. This is not a requirement, but it is encouraged.
- Only Films that meet the following criteria may be selected for screening at the Festival:
i) Films that have been completed since January 1, 2013; and
ii) Films should not exceed the maximum time allotted in length (including credits) and can be screened in DVD, Bluray or online screener submissions as well as private screening on youtube and Vimeo.
- All non-English speaking Films must be presented in their original version with English subtitles. All subtitling expenses must be paid by the Applicant. FilmDayton will not be responsible for any subtitling expenses.
- All Films must be submitted by August 1, 2015.
- The following formats will be accepted for Film submissions:
i) On-Line Secure Screener (available through Withoutabox account); or
ii) DVD or Blu-Ray (Region 0/Free or 1 & NTSC preferred)
iii) Internet screening on private youtube or Vimeo links
- All Films submitted by DVD or Blu-Ray must be postmarked by August 1, 2015 and mailed to the FilmDayton Office. If the Film is not received by this deadline it will be deemed as not submitted. This deadline is final.
- The FilmDayton Office Mailing Address is:
FilmDayton Film Festival
Dayton Convention Center
22 East 5TH Street
Dayton, OH 45402
- FilmDayton will not be liable for any expenses related to the submission of a Film for selection including, but not limited to, shipping, import or export tariffs or taxes, customs duties, delivery fees, transportation, insurance or any other relevant expense.
- It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to license or in any other way obtain authorization or permission from any copyright or trademark owner of any copyrighted or trademarked material included with or within the Film or any supporting marketing and public relations materials (“Supporting Materials”).
- The FilmDayton Board of Trustees and other selected members that it deems qualified in its sole discretion, comprise the Festival Screening Committee (“Screening Committee”).
- The Screening Committee selects the Films for screening at the Festival.
- Each member of the Screening Committee will vote by a secret ballot. No person having taken part in the production or promotion of a Film in competition may be on the Screening Committee.
Notification of Selection
- If your Film is selected for screening at the Festival, you will be notified by August 20, 2015.
- If your Film is selected for screening at the Festival, you must supply a copy of your Film in DVD, Blu-Ray on Digital formats to the FilmDayton Office by Sept. 20, 2015.
- If your Film is selected for screening at the Festival, Supporting Materials must be mailed or supplied to the FilmDayton Office by Sept. 20, 2015.
- The FilmDayton Office can provide you with further details if your Film is selected.
- The audience at each Festival screening will determine the Audience Choice Award in appropriate categories.
-A special Jury will also be awarding Jury prizes this year as well with best film in each shorts block.
- If the Screening Committee determines that there are not enough Films to sufficiently fill each category with quality shorts, adjustments may be made to the categories, in the sole discretion of FilmDayton.
Submission to FilmDayton for the Festival constitutes explicit acceptance of these Regulations and Guidelines with respect to submission and screening policies.
Contact David Temmesfeld, Festival Director
Mail: FilmDayton Film Festival
Dayton Convention Center
22 East 5TH Street
Dayton, OH 45402
Terms and Conditions:
I, the Applicant submitting the Film and any Supporting Materials to the Festival, acknowledge and agree to the following:
I hereby grant to FilmDayton a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, and display the Film and Supporting Materials for purposes reasonably related to the Festival and otherwise in support of FilmDayton’s efforts (together, the “Film and Publicity Rights”), including but not limited to:
i) creating and distributing a compilation in digital, DVD, or Blu-Ray format;
ii) displaying the Film and Supporting Materials during the Festival or related Festival marketing or promotional functions;
iii) using actor, actress, director, and producer names, likenesses, and publicity stills and the right to use film or video footage, title, and logline of the Film; and
iv) any similar Festival marketing or promotional activity deemed appropriate by FilmDayton.
I represent and warrant that I have all the rights necessary to grant the Film and Publicity Rights.
I represent and warrant that the display of the Film and Supporting Materials does not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark, or any other right of any person or entity.
I represent and warrant that I am an authorized agent, representative, or owner of the Film and can enter into binding commitments related to the Film.
I hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Festival, its organizers, Selection Committee, sponsors, directors, and partners, individually and collectively, from and against all claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, liabilities and expenses including, but not limited to, legal expenses arising out of or in connection with any and all claims, or third party claims based upon the Film and Supporting Materials submitted to the Festival.
I hereby release for any type of damage to or loss of the Film or Supporting Materials, the Festival, its organizers, Selection Committee, sponsors, directors, and partners, individually and collectively, from any and all liabilities regarding damage to or loss of the Film and Supporting Materials.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I/we understand that by submitting said Material, I/we authorize the Festival to exhibit the Material during the 2015 Festival dates and future special presentations, if the Material is selected for exhibition by the Festival.
I/we will indemnify and hold harmless the Festival, its organizers, judges, sponsors, and partners, individually and collectively, from and against all claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, liabilities and expenses including legal expenses arising out of or in connection with any and all claims, or third party claims based on Material submitted to the Festival.
I/we understand that the Festival is not responsible for any type of damage to or loss of the Material while it is in the Festival’s possession, or while en route to or from the Festival, and I/we release the Festival, its organizers, judges, sponsors, and partners, individually and collectively, from any and all liabilities regarding damage to or loss of the Material while en route to or from the Festival or while in its possession.
Festival finalists & winners will permit the Festival to use their name, contact information and/or likeness & publicity stills, film or video footage, title, and logline of Material, in pre & post-competition publicity & promotional efforts.
The Festival may, at its own discretion, transfer the submitted Material to a compilation DVD for Festival screening and the resulting DVD may be used for Festival promotional purposes and future screenings including 'The Best of the Fest'. However, said compilations are not sold or distributed by the Festival.