DECISIONS ALREADY MADE
• This event has already made decisions and notified
submitters for the current cycle. Submissions are no longer being
|The Newport Beach Film Festival will present a multi genre, international slate of studio and independent films from emerging and seasoned filmmakers. NBFF will host World, North American, U.S. and West Coast premieres and will present an International Spotlight Series celebrating foreign language films. NBFF traditionally screens approximately 75 feature length narrative films.
Filmmakers may submit a live action film 40 minutes or over.
|The Newport Beach Film Festival has the largest shorts program within a major film festival in the United States. NBFF screens over 200 short films in over 25 programs. Filmmakers may submit a live action narrative short film, including Animation and Family short (Please see separate listing for Documentary short, Action Sports short). Must be under 40 minutes.
|Documentary - Feature
|The Newport Beach Film Festival will showcase an extensive documentary program exploring a broad range of topics, including films that focus on the arts, pop culture, the environment, human rights, social, political, historical, gay/lesbian and other subjects. Special programs include Art, Architecture + Design Film Series, Music Film Series and Environmental Film Series. The Newport Beach Film Festival traditionally screens over 60 feature length documentaries. Filmmakers may submit a documentary film 40 minutes or over.
|Documentary - Short
|The Newport Beach Film Festival will showcase an extensive documentary program exploring a broad range of topics, including films that focus on the arts, pop culture, environmental, human rights, social, political, historical, gay/lesbian issues and other subjects. Special programs include Art. Architecture + Design Film Series, Environmental Film Series and Dance: Movement in Film Series. Filmmakers may submit a documentary film under 40 minutes.
|Youth (18yrs or under)
|Celebrating its 10th year, the Youth Film Showcase offers young filmmakers 18 years and under an opportunity to showcase their films on the big screen. Filmmakers currently enrolled in grades K-12 (in April 2014) may submit a film as an individual or in groups. Films of all genres are accepted. Submissions must have a running time of 10 minutes or under.
|Action Sports - Feature
|Emerging on the forefront as the largest action sports cinema event in the nation, the NBFF's Action Sports Film Series spotlights films, filmmakers, athletes, visionaries, industry professionals, artists and designers who have shaped action sports culture and history. Filmmakers may submit narrative and documentary action sports themed films that explore surfing, stand up paddleboarding (SUP), snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, motocross and other extreme sports (with a running time 40 minutes or more).
|Action Sports - Short
|Emerging on the forefront as the largest action sports cinema event in the nation, the NBFF's Action Sports Film Series spotlights films, filmmakers, athletes, visionaries, industry professionals, artists and designers who have shaped action sports culture and history. Filmmakers may submit narrative and documentary action sports themed films that explore surfing, stand up paddleboarding (SUP), snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, motocross and other extreme sports (with a running time 40 minutes or less). Visit www.nbffACTION.com for information.
|College Student - Short
|Student filmmakers currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a public or private, U.S. or International college or university may submit a short film to the NBFF at a special discounted rate. For consideration, student filmmakers must submit a valid student ID with their submission.
|The Newport Beach Film Festival will showcase a unique collection of Music Videos as a part of our Music Film Series. Music Videos showcasing any genre of music that is less than 10 minutes can be submitted.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Celebrating its 15th year, the Newport Beach Film Festival (NBFF) has established itself as one of the top community film festivals, bringing the best in domestic and international filmmaking to Southern California. Committed to enlightening the public with a first-class international film program, a forum for cultural understanding and enriching educational opportunities, the NBFF focuses on showcasing a diverse collection of films in its 8 day run.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Newport Beach Film Festival (NBFF) will celebrate its 15th anniversary with an action-packed line up of independent and studio films from around the globe. Scheduled to take place from April 24th - May 1st, 2014 in Southern California, the Festival will screen an international slate of over 350 films, including feature-length narrative, documentary, short, animated and student films that will compete for a series of Jury, Festival Honors and Audience Awards.
During its eight day run, the Festival will feature an array of nightly special events, including red carpet premieres, gala celebrations, filmmaker receptions, compelling filmmaker Q & As, international spotlights, industry seminars, musical performances, fashion shows and retrospectives. The Festival will host numerous opportunities to connect with enthusiastic new audiences, fellow filmmakers, film industry professionals, non-profit organizations and the media in a beautiful seaside locale in Orange County, California. The NBFF is committed to providing an outstanding experience for both our filmmakers and our audiences.
Special Programs planned for 2014 NBFF include the following: Action Sports Film Series, Environmental Film Series, Art, Architecture + Design Film Series, Music Film Series, Family Film Series, Collegiate Showcase, Youth Film Showcase, and a free Seminar Series.
The City of Newport Beach, California, serves as host to the Festival's film screenings and special events. Located just 50 miles south of Los Angeles, Newport Beach offers an optimal setting to experience filmmaking at its finest. Newport Beach boasts one of the largest movie consumer groups in the world and a rich filmmaking history. Thousands of visitors every year are drawn to the City's spectacular coastline, fine dining, shopping, and endless recreational activities.
Adam Gentry (Director of Interns)
; Amanda Salazar (Director of Programming)
; Dennis Baker (Director of Shorts Programming)
; Erik Forssell (Director of Special Operations)
; Gregg Schwenk (Executive Director)
; Jay Winterstein (Senior Programmer)
; Karen Adams (Director of Admin Services)
; Leslie Feibleman (Director of Special Programs & Community Cinema)
; Max Naylor (Associate Director of Programming)
; Riki Kucheck (Director of Submissions/ Sr. Programmer)
; Todd Quartararo (Director of Marketing)
15th annual Newport Beach Film Festival - April 24th - May 1st, 2014
All submitted films must comply with the Submissions Guidelines including deadlines, exhibition format, entry material, etc. Please check our website for further details (www.NewportBeachFilmFest.com)
- Our deadlines are POSTMARK DEADLINES. Your film must be postmarked by the deadline for consideration.
- Your film will be watched, in its entirety, by at least 5 people so we suggest that you submit your film as early as possible! Once we are open for submissions getting your film into consideration saves you money and gives us more time to look at it! NO LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Entry fees are payable by credit card, check or money order to Newport Beach Film Festival and are non-refundable. Fees for foreign entries should be paid by credit card, in traveler's checks in U.S. dollars or international money orders in U.S. dollars.
- Entrants are responsible for obtaining any necessary licenses, royalties, release forms, clearances, permits necessary to present their work. Newport Beach Film Festival is not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, or royalty infringement related to the work.
- Every precaution will be taken to safeguard all materials sent to the Festival but the Festival is not responsible for damage to submitted materials incurred by shipping to or from the Festival.
WE WILL EMAIL YOU WHEN WE RECEIVE YOUR SUBMISSION. If you do not receive an email, we did not receive your submission.
- Films submitted must be available for EXHIBITION as:
DCP - 24 Frames
(Music Video, Youth shorts exceptions)
- Films submitted must be available in English or in the original language with English subtitles. Accepted films must be available in the designated exhibition formats.
- Films must not screen in the U.S. in theaters, air on U.S. television, or be available to US consumers in stores or via the internet before May 1, 2014.
- The number(s), date(s), time(s), and locations of the screenings of films are subject to the discretion of the Newport Beach Film Festival.
- The print supplier will be responsible for the cost of shipment to the Newport Beach Film Festival. The Newport Beach Film Festival will return the print postage prepaid to the supplier or to the next destination as indicated by the supplier. Entry materials will not be returned with the exception of hard drives and flash drives with a prepaid postage and self-addressed envelope.
- The Newport Beach Film Festival takes the utmost care in the handling of your entry. The Newport Beach Film Festival does not pay additional charges for originals, masters, or special prints.
Notification will be emailed. Please do not call the Festival office. All correspondence will be done through email ONLY to the original submitter.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I am the authorized representative for the above-mentioned film; the filmmaker has all the necessary rights to music used in the film; the film will not be commercially available and will not air on television in the United States prior to May 1, 2014. I accept the conditions described on this entry form. If the film is selected by the Newport Beach Film Festival, I grant permission for public exhibition of the film during the 2014 Newport Beach Film Festival, from April 24 - May 1, 2014.
Newport Beach Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Newport Beach Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.