OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES • Select a Category of Entry to continue.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Marda Loop Justice Film Festival's (MLJFF) vision is the emergence of a sustainable world of communities at peace, living in just relationships one with another. We value empathy, equality, the sharing of resources and the love of neighbour. We seek to be an effective contributor to the realization of this vision.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The MLJFF is Canada's premiere human rights, environmental, and social issues documentary film festival. The Marda Loop Justice Film Festival hosts an annual mid-November festival, a Calgary film series, and a traveling Canadian film series to:
• Foster awareness and understanding of injustices and indignities suffered by many in our world and tell stories of hope in action.
• Facilitate conversations around justice, views of the world, essential questions, and the greater common good.
• Offer opportunities to get involved in the issues raised - primarily through the activities of local advocacy groups and non-government international development organizations.
In addition to free film screenings, the MLJFF also hosts a NGO village – a congregating place where non-profit organizations can discuss with festival attendees how to advance positive change.
Daniel Murdock (Director of Programming)
Submissions are completely FREE and are accepted all year for the Marda Loop Justice Film Festival (MLJFF) and its Calgary and Canadian Film Series; however, films must be submitted before June 1, 2014 to be considered for the November Marda Loop Justice Film Festival.
To be eligible for consideration, all films must meet the following requirements:
i. The Marda Loop Justice Film Festival’s exhibition formats are Blu-Ray or DVD discs coded in NTSC region 0 or 1. The Festival rarely screens work in any other format.
ii. Be in their original language with English subtitles, if the original language is other than English.
iii. Not have been previously screened in Calgary, Canada nor available on the internet.
iv. Have premiered after June 1, 2013.
v. Films previously submitted to the Festival and not programmed will not be reconsidered.
For programming consideration, the Festival only accepts DVD and online screener submissions.
• DVDs must be labeled with the following:
o Production Company
o Company Address
o Telephone Number
o Director’s Name
o Length in Minutes
o Withoutabox Tracking Number
• Please test your DVDs thoroughly before sending.
Films selected for the November MLJFF will be notified approx. August 1 of any given year. Films selected for inclusion within our Calgary film series and/or traveling Canadian film series will be notified on a rolling basis. Films not selected will not be notified by email.
SHOULD YOUR FILM BE SELECTED FOR THE MLJFF
A) Accepting Your Invitation:
To accept the invitation, click “Accept Invitation.”
B) Exhibition Copy:
The Festival must receive a Blu-Ray or DVD exhibition copy coded for NTSC region 0 or 1 no later than September 15, 2014.
Please Note: No film, once programmed, can be withdrawn.
C) Publicity Materials:
All publicity materials are to be sent at the sender’s expense by September 15, 2014.
The scheduling of films is determined by the Festival. The Festival retains the right to screen your film as part of the annual MLJFF, MLJFF Calgary Series, and/or traveling Canadian Series. The date(s), time(s) and location(s) of exhibitions of the films shall be at the discretion of the Festival.
Because the MLJFF charges no submission fees and is a volunteer organization, there is no compensation for selected films.
SHIPPING OF PREVIEW SUBMISSIONS AND INVITED FILMS
All shipments to the Festival must be prepaid.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I, the authorized representative of the project being submitted (hereafter called the "Film") to Marda Loop Justice Film Festival Society (hereafter called the “MLJFF”) for consideration for the 2014 Marda Loop Justice Film Festival and its 2014 Calgary or 2015 Canadian film series (hereafter called the “Festival”), hereby acknowledge and agree to the following: 1. I represent and warrant to the MLJFF that: (a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights) in or relating to the Film (hereafter called the “Film’s Owners”), to exhibit this Film at the Festival, (b) exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity; and (c) the Film is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the Film the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding. 2. I further represent and warrant, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Film does not constitute or include a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Film at or in connection with the Festival. 3. In the event that the Film is accepted by the MLJFF for inclusion in the Festival, I acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that the MLJFF’s exhibition or presentation of the Film at the Festival does not and will not create any confidential or fiduciary relationship between the MLJFF on the one hand and myself and/or the Film’s Owners on the other. I further acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that I and we understand that neither I nor any of the Film’s Owners will receive any compensation for such exploitation. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by, or may be implied against, the MLJFF or the Festival in the event of, by virtue of, or as a result of the MLJFF’s selection of the Film for the Festival. I and the Film’s Owners understand and acknowledge that the selection of the Film for inclusion in the Festival does not and will not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by the MLJFF or the Festival of the content of the Film or any opinion expressed therein. 4. I agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, to indemnify and hold harmless the MLJFF and the Festival, from and against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that may be asserted by any person or entity, or may be incurred by the MLJFF or the Festival, at any time in connection with the Film or the MLJFF’s use, handling or consideration thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the MLJFF or the Festival, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms and Conditions. 5. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that the Film is being submitted to the MLJFF voluntarily and without promise or inducement, and that the submission of the Film neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the MLJFF or the Festival to accept the Film for inclusion in the Festival, to exhibit the Film at the Festival, to acknowledge the submission of the Film, or to return the Film to me or others. I further agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of the Film’s Owners, that I and the Film’s Owners, in submitting the Film for consideration, are waiving, forfeiting, foregoing and relinquishing any right that I or we might otherwise have to assert any claim or commence any proceeding in any forum or tribunal against the MLJFF or the Festival, based upon, arising out of or otherwise relating to the submission, exhibition or failure to exhibit the Film (including, without limitation, claims relating to any failure or refusal to exhibit the Film at the Festival, the exhibition or marketing of the Film at or in connection with the Festival, alleged oral or written representations by the Festival or its representatives relating to the submission or exhibition of the Film, and any other matters arising from or relating to the submission of the Film), whether such claims may be based on theories of contract, implied contract, tort, statute, or other legal theory (hereinafter, “Claim”).
6. In the event that the Film is accepted by the MLJFF for inclusion in and exhibition at the Festival, I hereby grant, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, each of the following rights to the MLJFF and the Festival, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Film for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide up-to-date contact information pertaining to the director and producer(s) of the Film, and to grant the MLJFF and the Festival, at their sole and absolute discretion, the right to provide this information to film industry organizations that sponsor Festival events. 7. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that the MLJFF has made no claims, representations or guarantees, and has provided no assurances, in relation to the internal process utilized by the MLJFF with respect to selection of films for inclusion in the Festival, and that the submission of the Film neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the MLJFF or the Festival, the Film’s Owners, or my or their related parties with comments, feedback or other information pertaining to the viewing or consideration of the Film by the MLJFF for possible inclusion in the Festival. 8. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that, if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my province, I have provided the MLJFF with signed, written consent from my parent or legal guardian. 9. By clicking "I Agree" below, I freely and voluntarily give and express my full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and provisions set forth in these Terms and Conditions. I acknowledge that no oral representations, inducements, promises or assurances of any kind, and no representations, inducements, promises or assurances not set forth in these Terms and Conditions, have been made to me or the Film’s Owners by the Festival or the MLJFF.