CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Beyond the Beaten Path presented by the SoCal Film Festival has been an annual event since 2005, celebrating the strange, unusual, often funny, and sometimes horrific short, feature and documentary films that go further than the mainstream and “Beyond the Beaten Path.”
We welcome any genre of movies that is odd and unusual, particularly horror, sci-fi, suspense, paranormal, and experimental.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
To celebrate 10 years of Beyond the Beaten Path, we are giving this event the expansion it deserves with a wild celebration of movies and events for three days (May 8-10), with May 10 being a day of movies in the theater, followed by an Online Celebration for two weeks from May 11-25, 2014.
Give us your horror, your sci-fi, your strange, your unusual – we celebrate those who find themselves in the back of beyond!
This is the first year in its nine-year history that the Beyond the Beaten Path film screening series will branch off and move out of its usual fall screening period. Additionally, we will be adding discussions, parties, special screenings, and for the first time — Awards!
Official Selections will be reviewed in Influx Magazine. The award winner of Beyond the Best Feature Film will receive a distribution offer to be on Amazon Prime. The top three short films will receive an offer to be packaged together for distribution on Amazon Prime and receive a replay screening in the 2014 SoCal Film Festival in October.
Winning screenplays will receive table reads from professional actors and short form selections may receive offers for production from students at the SoCal Film Academy.
Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival
; Bill Young
; Bill Young
; Bill Young
; Brian Barsuglia (Event Director)
2014 Beyond the Beaten Path FILM FESTIVAL OFFICIAL GUIDELINES AND RULES:
I. Certification of Film or Screenplay Entrant
II. Film Submissions
III. Screenplay Submissions
IV. General Waiver Rules and Guidelines
II. Certification of Film or Screenplay Entrant:
I, the undersigned, acknowledge and agree as follows:
1. I have read, understand and fully comply with all submission eligibility information, Submission Guidelines, Terms and Conditions of Entry and Entry Eligibility requirements.
2. To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements in this document are true;
3. This production (feature, short, documentary, or other media) is not subject to any litigation nor is threatened by any litigation;
4. I am duly authorized to submit this production to the competition;
5. I hold the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival and The SoCal Independent Film Festival (SCIFF) harmless from any damage to the print(s) or tape(s) or media en route or otherwise during the course of the festivals possession of the film;
6. I hold the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival, SoCal Independent Film Festival (SCIFF), SoCal Entertainment & Media Company, its management, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, and etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from my entry.
8. I certify that I have full rights to the use of the music in the production.
9. I give permission for the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival to use excerpts of up to three minutes of the production for promotional purposes, unless otherwise noted in attached writing and submitted with entry.
10. I give permission for the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival to use stills, titles, copy, and/or information from the production for promotional purposes.
11. I give permission for the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival to screen the production at the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival event.
12. Submitter must own all copyrights; (If requested) must be able to provide model/actor release verification if requested; must be able to provide music, product and other copyright licensing verification if requested. Submitter/Producer agrees to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film.
13. I give my permission for the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival to share my film and contact information with Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival festival partners unless I specify otherwise.
15. Entry does not guarantee acceptance into Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival festival or other Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival events.
II. FILM SUBMISSIONS
1. SUBMISSION FORMAT: All Festival submissions should be sent on either DVD (NTSC or PAL Format only); or submitted through Withoutabox as an online screener; or as a digital file uploaded to the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival or sent on a data disk. DVDs and paper cases (rather than jewel cases or amaray cases) are preferred with the title and WAB Entry Number clearly printed on the DVD itself. We do not return entries.
2. SUBMISSION LENGTH AND GENRE: The Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival is open genre; meaning we accept all forms and genres that would be deemed within a G, PG, PG-13, R, or NC-17 rating by Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival staff. We do not accept pornographic entertainment. Short form submissions are under forty (40) minutes. Long form (feature length) submissions are forty (40) minutes and over.
3. Submissions WILL NOT be returned.
4. MULTIPLE ENTRIES are allowed.
5. PRODUCER / FILMMAKER / COPYRIGHTS: submitter (filmmaker or producer) will be referred to as producer or submitter. Producer must own all copyrights; must be able to provide model/actor release verification if requested; must be able to provide music, product and other copyright licensing verification if requested. Producer agrees to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film.
6. SUBMISSION DEADLINES: Submissions with postmarks prior to and after these will not qualify for entry into the festival. Entrants are expect to enter by the deadline with assets (including screening copy and fees) to be received within 5 business days following the deadline.
7. ENTRY FEES: View the “Call for Entries” to note fees and deadlines. Entry fees are non-refundable. If your entry fee is not received with or prior to your submission, your entry may be deemed disqualified at the discretion of the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival.
8. ORIGINATING FORMAT: Film, digital and new media originating formats are accepted for submission.
9. PRESENTATION FORMAT: If accepted into the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival, producers must be able to provide, at the minimum, a DVD (NTSC) for digital presentation. Other formats may be permitted. We are moving toward an entirely digital presentation; formats are subject to change.
10. DATE OF COMPLETION: Not specified.
11. PREMIERE/DISTRIBUTION STATUS: We accept submissions that have premiered elsewhere; submissions may have distribution agreements already in place. However, TV, theatrical, video, cable, pay-per-view, other festival, or other distribution outlets that run concurrently or in the same month of the festival may not be eligible for screening. Decisions made at SCIFF discretion.
12. LOSS OR DAMAGE: Every precaution will be taken to prevent or loss or damage to materials while in the possession of the festival. However, Producer agrees to release the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival from responsibility should any materials be damaged while in transit to or from, or while in the possession of the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival.
13. ROUGH CUTS AND INCOMPLETE PROJECTS: Always try to send the best representation of your project. Rough cuts can be entered in contest, but must be completed and received with four weeks of festival start date.
14. Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival MARKETING: By submitting producer is consenting for use and copying of accepted projects for the purpose of promoting the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival and future festivals. Producer is giving Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival permission to use up to three minutes of submission to promote the festival.
14a. Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival JURY AND MEDIA COPIES: If selected as an Official Selection, Producer hereby agrees to provide 5-10 DVDs, or will allow the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival to make the necessary copies, to make submission available to Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival jury members and to media.
15a. Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: By submitting to the festival, if chosen as an official selection, Producer is hereby granting permission for the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival to exhibit Producer’s submission in the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival event.
15b. Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: By submitting, Producer acknowledges that the number of films the festival selects and exhibits may vary from year-to-year based on, but not limited to, total number of entries, quality of entries, final sponsorship revenue, and venue availability. Decisions are final and at the discretion of the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival.
16. SCREENERS AND JURY: All screening, selection, and jury decisions are final. Our panel of jurors and our screening committee use a rating system on entries and official selections. They screen many fine films; however, as with all festivals there is limited programming availability. By entering the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival and any of its contests, Producers are verifying that you understand entry does not guarantee a screening. Additionally, being chosen as an Official Selection does not guarantee a screening in the theater either. The Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival may have Official Selections (non-screening) as well as Official Selections (screening). Decisions are final and at the discretion of the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival.
17. OFFICIAL SELECTIONS: If chosen as an official selection, the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival will request acknowledgement of your acceptance and additional materials. If any of the requested materials are not received by the festival in the time allotted, it is at the discretion of the festival to keep or remove the project as an Official Selection.
18. QUALIFIERS: Entrants must adhere to the category requirements as outlined on the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival website.
III. SCREENPLAYS (any length)
a. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter this competition.
b. entered script must not be or previously been optioned, sold, or produced by a studio on a large budget. We do accept scripts that have been produced if the writer was involved in making an independent production. Projects in question will be deemed eligible at the discretion of the Beyond the Beaten Path Film Festival.
a. Any genre can be entered.
b. Screenplay must be original work of the author or authors.
c. Multiple authorship is allowed.
d. Multiple entries are allowed, but each entry must be accompanied by their own completed entry form and their own appropriate entry fee. You are allowed to mail them to us in one package.
e. No corrected pages or additional pages will be accepted after the screenplay has been entered. PLEASE be sure you double check your screenplay for errors, blank pages, etc., before mailing them to us.
3. Script Guidelines:
a. Submitted Scripts MUST be in English.
b. Do not send originals as scripts will not be returned.
c. Printed Scripts must be in industry standard format and bound with 2 or 3 brads.
d. Body pages must be correctly numbered.
e. Script title page should clearly provide the title of the screenplay and the WAB Tracking Number. Writer’s name is optional.
f. Must be on white paper.
g. Covers must be card stock.
h. We do accept and prefer .PDF, Microsoft Word, Final Draft, and TEXT documents. Electronic submission in one of these formats is preferred.
i. Script Length: Any
j. Failure to comply with the guidelines, rules, regulations, or eligibility may be cause for disqualification.
IV. GENERAL WAIVER RULES AND GUIDELINES
a. General. By entering this Contest, entrants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. All taxes (including, without limitation, federal, state, and local taxes) on or connected with any prize (including, without limitation, prizes that are opportunities to make donations to a charitable organization), and the reporting consequences thereof, are the sole and exclusive responsibility of respective winners.
b. All prizes awarded, if any are offered, in connection with the Contest are nontransferable and non-endorsable. No substitution of prizes is permitted. Release, Waiver and Indemnification. By entering the contest, entrants release and hold the promoter and host and all other contest entities harmless from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the contest or participation in any contest-related activity or resulting directly or indirectly from acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize awarded in connection with the contest, including without limitation personal injury, death, and/or property damage, as well as claims based on publicity rights, defamation, and/or invasion of privacy. The promoter, the host and contest entities do not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of an entrant’s intellectual property rights, if any, respect to any submission or concept, reviews, material, video and/or other materials provided in connection with the contest.
C. By entering the contest, entrants release, waive any claims with regard to, and hold harmless the promoter, the host and the contest entities from and against any and all claims of any kind that are or could be asserted with respect to any matter relating to the contest. Entrants further agree to indemnify, defend and hold the promoter, host and all other contest entities harmless from any and all damages, liabilities, fees and cost incurred in defending against any third party claims or threats of claims asserted against promoter, host and/or other contest entities arising from any entrant’s participation in or conduct associated with the contest.
d. Nonperformance of any party shall be excused to the extent that performance is rendered impossible by strike, fire, flood, earthquakes, war, governmental acts or orders or restrictions, or any other reason where failure to perform is beyond the reasonable control, and not caused by the negligence of, the nonperforming party. Governing Law and Waiver of Damages. The Contest and these Official Rules are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California , United States of America , without regards to its principles of conflicts of law. For any dispute not subject to arbitration according to the above, entrant agrees to personal jurisdiction by the federal and state courts located in Orange County, California , United States of America , and waives any jurisdictional, venue, or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
e. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby irrevocably waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with participating in the Contest), and entrant further irrevocably waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.