films under 20 minutes, made in the last three years and depict migrant and diaspora stories. We are particularly interested in films from North America and Europe depicting stories of migration. Preference is given to films made by people of colour.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Colourfest was conceived as a response to the lack of cultural diversity on Australian screens. Portrayal of people from migrant and diasporic background is littered with stereotypes and is generally skewed towards negative representations, Colourfest challenges such portrayals by showcasing a more authentic and inclusive image of Australians as a nation of diverse faces.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Colourfest was conceived in 2010 by Gary Paramanathan as an alternative film night. In its debut year the festival screened ten short films, selected from a national call out. The festival was held at The Red Rattler Theatre in Marrickville to a sold out crowd.
In 2011 the festival significantly expanded to three cities; Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. 2012 saw a further growth with the festival touring Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart, Launceston and Brisbane. The festival receives support from The Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS), Information & Cultural Exchange (ICE), Victorian Multicultural Commission (VMC), SBS and Film Ink.
In 2013 Colourfest developed partnerships with local councils to show a selection of films during Harmony Day, screening in over 30 venues around Australia.
Colourfest now accepts international entries, and screens in all states across Australia. Films selected for screenings will receive payment as part of the screening license. ORGANIZERS
Gary Paramanathan (Festival Registrar)
; Gary Paramanathan (Festival Registrar)
Colourfest only accepts short films under 20 minutes produced in the last three years.
Films can be from any part of the world, but must explore the 'migrant experience'. We prioritize films made by filmmakers from culturally diverse backgrounds.
We do not accept films that depict stereotypes, exotify or orientalise the depiction of migrants and diasporic communities. Email us at email@example.com for clarification.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Submission of a film/video represents agreement with the terms and conditions set out herein.
1. Films submitted cannot be currently available online for view or download.
2. Films must be produced in the last three years.
3. Entries must be in English or with English subtitles.
4. Films produced by TV stations, or made for a television series are ineligible. This does not exclude films commissioned by TV stations that are not episodes in a series with a continuing narrative.
5. Industrial, promotional and instructional films/videos are ineligible.
Once a film/video has been submitted, it cannot be withdrawn.
6. Colourfest accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to preview DVDs and any supporting material.
7. Colourfest, its officers, agents and employees take no responsibility for any infringement of copyright, performers' rights, defamatory, illegal or obscene material or other liability whatsoever contained in or arising out of films/videos submitted.
8. It is Colourfest policy not to offer comments or reasons when submissions are not selected for screening.
For further information or enquires please email: firstname.lastname@example.org