CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
|Short narrative films 20 minutes or under, including credits. No web series or industrials. Experimental films must be five minutes or under.
|Short documentaries on any subject 20 minutes or under, including credits
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
DAMN! Film Series showcases the best DAMN! short films through with live screenings in New York City and offers filmmakers and audiences the opportunities to mix in a collegial atmosphere.
In other words, everyone should have the best DAMN! time too.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
“A welcome haven for cinema lovers!” - Manhattan With a Twist
"Networking just got un-stuffy." - Green Room New York
DAMN! Film Series celebrates its fourth season showcasing the best DAMN! short films around at New York City's Theaterlab, which has hosted film screenings with Willem Dafoe, Abbas Kiarostami, Thomas Vinterberg and more. There's a $2,000 grant for the film selected as the BEST DAMN! Film of the series. That's right, the winning filmmaker will receive a $2,000 check for their next film [Previous winners: Ellen Burns' WATER FROM THE MOON; Andrew Ruiz's FISH; and Crystal Friedman's WE ARE NOT LOVERS].
DAMN! Film Series seeks documentary and narrative shorts for its 2018 season.
The series will showcase DAMN! great short films (20 minutes or under) at its screenings September through December 2018. Each screening is followed by a mix and mingle with fellow artists, audience members and producers.
WHAT PARTICIPATING FILMMAKERS CAN EXPECT:
(A) A great experience. DAMN! Film Series is a filmmaker-run film series that knows what filmmakers need.
(B) Podcast Opportunity. Filmmakers featured in the festival also have the opportunity to be interviewed on the series' podcast–The Story Around The Story, now on iTunes.
(C) Chance to win a $2,000 grant for filmmaker's next film. One of the films will be named the Best DAMN! Film, and the filmmaker will receive the $2,000 check for his or her next film.
A LITTLE ABOUT THE FESTIVAL'S HISTORY
DAMN! Film Series' mission is to showcase the best DAMN! films through live screenings in New York and offer filmmakers and audiences the opportunities to mix in a collegial atmosphere.
In other words, everyone should have the best DAMN! time too.
The series also hosts exciting experiences. In 2015, after a screening of Phoebe Driscoll's Memphis jookin documentary–The PHARAOHS OF MEMPHIS– dancing sensations Lil Buck, DPKOM and Ryan "The Mind" Haskett performed jookin live, accompanied by renowned guitarist Doug Wamble. The event was nominated for the Bessie Award.
*Nina Gantz's EDMOND (Sundance & BAFTA winner)
*Bat-Sheva Guez's BEHIND THE WALL (Dozens of festivals, Multiple awards)
*Phoebe Driscoll's PHARAOHS OF MEMPHIS (Winner, two awards Indie Memphis)
*Craig Harwood's ANCHOVIES (Award-winning film)
*Javier Marco's CASITAS (200+ festivals, more than 50 awards)
*Carolin Färber's LEBEN! (Cinematic Achievement Award, Thessaloniki International Short Film Festival)
*Venetia Taylor's THE FUTURE (more than 15 international awards)
*Assia Lakhlif's DAUGHTER (Cannes Court Metrage)
*Samantha Smith's THESE WILD THINGS (Jury Award - Best LA Short Film, New Orleans Film Festival)
*Mark Philip Lichtenstein's musical film BURNING UP! (Musical is product of The BMI Lehman Engel Musical Theatre Workshop)
*Jamal Hodge's THE JUMP (Multiple Audience Awards)
Lanie Zipoy (Festival Registrar)
GENERAL RULES & REGULATIONS FOR THE DAMN! FILM SERIES
The 2018 DAMN! Film Series will accept submissions January 8, 2018 through May 19, 2018.
(1) DAMN! Film Series accepts submissions for short films (running time under 20 minutes) in narrative and documentary categories. Only independent films will be considered. Artists must have final creative control over their work to be eligible.
(2) Experimental films, animation, web series/new media and sponsored works (training films or commercials) will NOT be considered.
(3) DAMN! Film Series 2018 SUBMISSION DEADLINES:
-February 28, 2018: Early Deadline
-April 12, 2018: Regular Deadline
-May 19, 2018: Final Deadline
(4) All films submitted must have been completed on or after January 1, 2016.
(5) All films must be submitted with an online screener. It is the ONLY way to submit to the DAMN! Film Series. NOTE: All films that are accepted must be sent to us as .mov or .mp4 sized at 1920 x 1080p.
(6) Films must not have been previously submitted to the series.
(7) Films must NOT have any other screenings in New York City between September – November 2018.
(8) The DAMN! Film Series does not pay screening fees.
(9) One of the selected films will be named BEST DAMN! FILM and the filmmaker will receive a $2,000 grant for his or her next film.
(10) All non-English language films must have legible English language subtitles.
(11) Filmmakers may only submit ONE film.
(12) By submitting your film to DAMN! Film Series, filmmakers agree for their film, if selected, to be screened at the series, and to provide press materials, film stills and creative team head shots to the series for promotion.
(13) We will confirm the receipt of every submission.
(14) If you have any questions, E-mail email@example.com.
(15) Acceptances will be sent out by July 4, 2018.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
TERMS & CONDITIONS
(1) All films submitted must have been completed on or after January 30, 2016.
(2) All films must be submitted with an online screener. It is the ONLY way to submit to the DAMN! Film Series. NOTE: All films that are accepted must be sent to us as .mov or .mp4 sized at 1920 x 1080p.
(3) Films must not have been previously submitted to the series.
(4) Films must not have any other screenings in New York City between September and December 2018.
(5) All non-English language films must have legible English language subtitles.
(6) Filmmakers may only submit ONE film.
(7) By submitting your film to DAMN! Film Series, filmmakers agree for their film, if selected, to be screened at the series, and to provide press materials, film stills and creative team head shots to the series for promotion.