OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES • Select a Category of Entry to continue.
|To submit in this category, your film must be a fictional dance film. Scripted, imaginary or experimental films most likely fit into this category.
|To submit to the non-fiction category, your film must be based on actual events or people. This may include documentary style filmmaking or dramatizations of true events.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The LA Dance Film Festival aims to provide a supportive and enriching environment for both emerging and established dance filmmakers. The festival is open to filmmakers from around the world. LADFF accepts films from a variety of genres as long as dance is the main storytelling component.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
We founded the LA Dance Film Festival in 2016 because we want to create more opportunities for dance filmmakers and increase visibility of dance film as an art form.
Dance film is a genre of cinematic storytelling created through movement. In contrast to traditional dialogue-driven films, dance films offer new ways to connect with characters and ideas that are beyond words. Pairing dance with film provides a unique entry point for audiences to dive into stories that are not possible when either medium stands alone. While dance film has been produced for decades, we found it was surprisingly underrepresented in Hollywood. LADFF aims to expand local creation, collaboration and viewership through exhibiting extraordinary international dance films.
Read more about the festival on our website: http://ladancefilmfest.org/
Alexa Roman (Festival Registrar); Alexa Roman (Festival Registrar); Betsy Uhler
- The shorter your film is, the easier it is to program. We accept films up to 30 minutes of running time but keep it mind that our festival is only one evening. The longer the film, the higher the expected cinematic quality.
- As outlined below in our Rules and Terms, we look for narrative elements in a dance film. Our Programming Team is looking for clear narrative or theme, filmic quality and dance quality. Every film is screened by at least three members of our Programming Team to ensure thorough review.
- Please consider cutting your credits to be as short as possible. Credits count as part of the running in time and in general should be one screen or less than 10% of your film's total running time
- If your film is selected, we may request film stills and/or production photos, along with photo credits, for use in promoting the LA Dance Film Festival.
RULES AND TERMS
- All fictional or non-fictional, dance-based films under 30 minutes will be considered.
- Please read the entire agreement and ensure that you have the rights to submit the film.
- When submitting your film, PLEASE INCLUDE CREDITS IN YOUR ENTRY (written out in WithoutaBox) for Director and Choreographer. We want to ensure proper credit is given to the artists involved in your project.
- For the purposes of the LA Dance Film Festival, we define a dance film as a film that incorporates dance as a core narrative component. Recordings of live performance are not eligible. If your film is less than 50% dance or choreographic movement, it may not qualify as a dance film. A simple test is to mentally remove the dance part of the film and see if the story still holds up. If your filmic story cannot work without the dance piece, it qualifies as a dance film.
- Films must have been completed later than Jan 1, 2015.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By agreeing to the Terms And Conditions, located below and at ladancefilmfest.org/terms, the entity submitting the Film (hereafter called the “Filmmaker”) acknowledges that he or she has obtained consent from any and all owners, choreographers, creators, writers, Producers and/or other authorized representatives of the Film (hereafter called the “Film’s Owners”) whose consent is required to submit the Film to the LA Dance Film Festival (hereafter called the “LADFF” and “Festival”), and has read and accepts the submission terms and conditions below:
1. I represent and warrant to the LADFF that: (a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights) in or relating to the Film, to exhibit this Film at the LADFF, (b) exhibition of the Film at the LADFF will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity; and (c) the Film is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the Film the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding.
2. I further represent and warrant, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Film does not constitute or include a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Film at or in connection with the LADFF.
3. In the event that the Film is accepted by the LADFF for inclusion in the Festival, I acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that we understand that none of the Film’s Owners will receive any compensation for such exploitation, although some prizes at the LADFF may include cash or other awards. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by, or may be implied against, the LADFF in the event of, by virtue of, or as a result of the LADFF’s selection of the Film for the Festival.
4. I agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, to indemnify and hold harmless the Festival, together with each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, attorneys, creative advisors, agents and representatives (collectively, “LADFF Related Parties”), from and against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that may be asserted by any person or entity, or may be incurred by the LADFF, the Festival, or any LADFF Related Parties, at any time in connection with the Film or the LADFF’s use, handling or consideration thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the LADFF or any LADFF Related Parties, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms and Conditions.
5. In the event that the Film is accepted by LADFF for inclusion in and exhibition at the Festival, I hereby grant, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, each of the following rights to the Festival, and any LADFF Related Parties without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Film for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide up-to-date contact information pertaining to the director(s) and producer(s) of the Film, and to grant LADFF, at their sole and absolute discretion, the right to provide this information to organizations that sponsor Festival events.
6. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that LADFF has made no claims, representations or guarantees, and has provided no assurances, in relation to the internal process utilized by LADFF with respect to selection of films for inclusion in the Festival, and that the submission of the Film neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the Festival, or any LADFF Related Parties to provide me, the Film’s Owners, or my or their related parties with comments, feedback or other information pertaining to the viewing or consideration of the Film by LADFF for possible inclusion in the Festival.
7. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older.
8. I agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that any claim, dispute or controversy arising out of, in connection with, or otherwise related to the Film, the Festival, or these Terms and Conditions, including, without limitation, any other claim or cause of action of any nature arising from the actual or alleged breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity of these Terms and Conditions, as well as the determination of the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate, will be governed by the internal, substantive laws of the State of California and will be subject to and submitted to exclusive, binding arbitration before a single arbitrator in Los Angeles, California, which shall be the sole and exclusive forum for determination of such claim, dispute or controversy. Such arbitration will be administered by Judicial and Administrative Mediation Services (“JAMS”) pursuant to its Streamlined Arbitration Rules and Procedures then in effect. The arbitrator will be selected by mutual agreement of the parties or, if the parties are unable to agree on an arbitrator, will be appointed by JAMS pursuant to its Streamlined Arbitration Rules and Procedures then in effect. The arbitrator must issue a written award setting forth the essential findings and conclusions on which an award will be based.I specifically agree and acknowledge, however, that the arbitrator shall not have the power to award punitive or exemplary damages, nor shall the arbitrator have the power to order LADFF to include the Film in the Festival or to award other injunctive or non-monetary relief. The arbitrator shall have the power to award, and shall be required to award, to the substantially prevailing party in any such arbitration, its reasonable attorneys’ fees, costs and expenses incurred in connection with the arbitration (including, without limitation, reimbursement of that party’s share of the arbitrator’s fees and JAMS administrative charges). The arbitrator’s award shall be final, binding and non-appealable. Judgment on the arbitrator’s award may be entered in any federal or state court of competent jurisdiction in the United States. In agreeing to this exclusive arbitration provision, I hereby waive, forfeit and relinquish, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, any right or entitlement that I or the Film’s Owners might otherwise have had to bring or litigate any claim or claims encompassed by this paragraph in any federal or state court against the Festival, LADFF or any LADFF Related Party, and further waive, forfeit and relinquish any right to a trial by jury with respect to such claim or claims.
9. I hereby acknowledge that I have the right to consult with an attorney of my own choosing with respect to these Submission Guidelines and with respect to the Release for submitting a Film to the Festival, located at ladancefilmfest.org/terms. By clicking “I Agree” below, I agree that I am doing so after having consulted with an attorney or after I freely or voluntarily elected not to do so without coercion or duress.
10. I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understood the Release for submitting a Film to the Festival, located at ladancefilmfest.org/terms, and that the information contained in said Release does and shall supersede any information obtained elsewhere.
11. By completing my submission application for 2019 LA Dance Film Festival consideration, I freely and voluntarily give and express my full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and provisions set forth in these Submission Guidelines. I acknowledge that no oral representations, inducements, promises or assurances of any kind, and no representations, inducements, promises or assurances not set forth in these Submission Guidelines, have been made to me or the Film’s Owners by the LADFF or any LADFF Related Parties.