CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The mission of the Count Basie Center Teen + College Film Festival is to encourage the art of filmmaking by New Jersey students from 7th grade onwards.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Previously known as ProjectFX, the Count Basie Center Teen + College Film Fest is now opened to all New Jersey students from 7th grade onwards, including New Jersey high school grads who attend college full-time out-of-state.
This year's festival takes place on April 6, 2019 at the historic Count Basie Center for the Arts in Red Bank, NJ. Trophies will be awarded in the middle school, high school and college age brackets, with with nods for "Best Narrative Film," "Best Documentary," "Best Direction" and "Best Acting Performance" in each category. In addition, a day-of Audience Award is on the line, as well as a School Award for any school entering three or more films. See our Rules and Regulations for more details.
Jennifer Tardibuono; Jennifer Tardibuono; Jennifer Tardibuono (Festival Registrar); Kim Surowicz (Producer); Kim Surowicz (Producer)
Rules and Regulations
(1) Eligibility Requirements
- Films previously submitted to the Basie’s “PROJECT FX” festival are not eligible.
- Any film submitted must be made after January 1, 2018
- Middle and high school contestants must be enrolled full-time in a NJ-based school, or be legal NJ residents receiving home schooling. College contestants must be a full-time student attending college in New Jersey, or a graduate of a New Jersey-based high school or home schooling program registered full-time at an out-of-state college or university.
- Entrants must include proof of student status (copy of student ID, transcript, diploma, etc.) and a current resume
- All students must be in 7th grade or higher at the time of film submission.
- Entrants will be asked to identify legal ownership of the film.
- Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images, and content in the entry.
- Only complete entries will be considered. Each entry must be accompanied by the appropriate entry fee. Entry fees are not refundable. Fees cover registration, notification that your entry has been received, and notification of results. These fees may be paid by credit/debit card only.
- Films must be submitted via Withoutabox.
- You may not use copyrighted music or video footage in your film. YouTube and Vimeo are becoming increasingly vigilant about this, and we cannot be responsible for films pulled down for copyright violations.
- Films must be provided as a .mp4 file via dropbox for download.
- All films up to 10 minutes in length will be considered.
- All films must not contain any form of nudity.
- All entries must be received by 11:59pm on 3/3/19
(2) Judging & Selection
- Submissions that do not meet the criteria on the Form Outline will be eliminated.
- All films will be vetted by a sub-committee of the Judging Panel.
- In March 2019, the top films will be revealed at www.thebasie.org/filmfest, as well as the festival’s official Facebook page. Filmmakers will be encouraged to have people like/share their films on Facebook.
- Judging panel (made up of celebrities and film industry leaders) will view the top films and assess.
- Judging will be based on a rubric that evaluates how a student utilizes the medium to get the point across in a creative manner.
- The judges will take into account the storyline, cinematography, technical aspects, sound, editing, and social media presence.
- The top films will be screened at the Count Basie Center in Red Bank, NJ on April 6, 2019.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
(1) You retain all ownership rights in your film. However, by submitting to the Count Basie Center Teen + College Film Festival, you hereby give the Count Basie Center and its panel of judges permission to view the film and format it for presentation and grant the same a nonexclusive right and license to use, modify, prepare derivative works of, reproduce, perform, distribute, transmit or otherwise display the film (including derivative works thereof) to the public, in all media formats and through all media channels including but not limited to film, video, television, Internet, and other electronic, broadcast and other media, now known or later developed, and to authorize others to do the same, provided the foregoing is in furtherance of the Festival’s non-profit, educational, or promotional purposes. The above licenses granted by you are perpetual, world-wide, royalty-free, non-terminable and irrevocable.
(2) In the event that Count Basie Center Teen + College Film Festival or the Count Basie Center for the Arts posts the film on its website, you understand that the Festival cannot guarantee that the film, if posted, will not be forwarded, used, modified and/or further distributed by third parties. The Festival and those it may authorize shall not be responsible for unauthorized duplications, modifications, distributions or use of the Film by third parties on the Internet or otherwise.
(3) You agree that the Count Basie Center Teen + College Film Festival and the Count Basie Center for the Arts and its designees shall have the right to use your name, likeness, and biography in connection with the Count Basie Center Teen + College Film Fest and in advertising, publicity and promotion related thereto.
(4) It is your responsibility to ensure that the necessary contracts or releases have been obtained from those individuals or entities whose, names, likenesses, trademarks, written materials, scripts, photographs, artworks, musical compositions, or similar materials or rights are used in connection with the film. Copies of such contracts or releases shall be provided to the Festival upon request. You agree that you will not submit your film unless you are the owner of all proprietary rights (such as copyrights, trademark rights, rights of privacy, rights of publicity, trade secret or other rights) in and to the film and all materials included in the film or unless you have written permissions from the rightful owners to use the film and all materials included in the film and to grant the licenses herein granted to the Festival to use the film and all materials included in the film.
(5) You represent and warrant that the film contains no libelous or unlawful material, contains no instructions that may cause harm or injury, and that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and to authorize the Festival to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to the Film and any and all material in the film, in the manner contemplated by this agreement. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Count Basie Center Teen + College Film Fest, the Count Basie Center for the Arts, and its trustees, officers, directors, sublicensees, affiliates and all staff from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising from: (a) your violation of this agreement, and (b) the violation of any third party rights, including but not limited to any copyrights, trademark rights, rights of privacy or publicity, trade secret or any other proprietary right, by your film. This obligation and the representations and warranties made by you in this agreement shall survive the expiration or termination of this agreement.
(6) The Count Basie Center Teen + College Film Festival and the Count Basie Center for the Arts is under no obligation to exhibit or display any submission to the Festival. All decisions regarding the selection of films for the Festival and their subsequent display shall be at the discretion of the Festival organizers.