DECISIONS ALREADY MADE
• This event has already made decisions and notified
submitters for the current cycle. Submissions are no longer being
|Short Films & Documentaries Competition under 55 mins
|Open to short films under 55 minutes of any genre or film category with a key creative input by women.
Send WOW your short film from experimental to drama and comedy, low or big budget drama, animated film, and humorous and serious documentaries on any topic. The shorts are judged by industry professionals and screen with features and documentaries during the festival in Sydney with tour to follow. Only films made from the beginning of 2013 will be eligible.
|Non-competitive - Features & Documentaries
|We are looking to premiere a feature either directed by a woman or women in two roles of: producer, screenwriter, editor, cinematographer, production designer / art director, central acting role is a woman.
|Multi-Platform Media Competition - digital media under 4 minutes, 1GB max
|Open to films made for a multi-platform digital media in under 4 minutes.
WOW is excited to announce a new arena for Women content producers – Multi-Platform Media. Under 4 minutes in length (2 to 3 minutes suggested). Multi-Platform Media are created to make use of the emerging market of mobile & internet technology and short form content. Just remember these Media are for the “Small Screen” so consider this in your production style eg: clean backgrounds and great sound. Using the World Wide digital distribution platform of YouTube WOW will post finalists on the WOW Youtube Channel for audience voting.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The World of Women's Cinema - WOW Film Festival is predominantly a short film festival, a screen culture event that promotes and awards the talents of women directors, producers, screenwriters, editors, cinematographers and other roles in the Australian and International film industry.
WOW offers emerging and established women filmmakers the opportunity to screen short works & feature films, thus giving a perspective of "seeing the world through the eyes of women".
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
21st WORLD OF WOMEN’S CINEMA: WOW FILM FESTIVAL 2015
Seeing the World Through the Eyes of Women
For over 20 years, the World of Women's Cinema - WOW Film Festival has promoted, celebrated and recognised the talents of women directors, producers, writers, editors and cinematographers in the Australian film industry and internationally. It is a festival that offers emerging and established filmmakers the opportunity to screen short works giving a thematic perspective of ... “seeing the world through the eyes of women”.
The 21st WOW (World of Women’s Cinema) Film Festival is now calling for entries for Fiction, Documentary, Animation, Short Form Digital Media and Student films of less than 55 minutes duration with key creative input by women from Australia and around the world for competition.
Films over 55 minutes duration can be entered in the non-competition category. WOW is a unique showcase of films by women, allowing for a different storytelling and giving another perspective of the world through women’s eyes. WOW promotes and awards the talents of women filmmakers in many roles.
Awards in 2015 for best films in various categories & best director, best writer, best cinematographer, best editor, best music composition for eligible films. Entries are welcomed from any genre, with a variety of production values, from emerging and established filmmakers representing different backgrounds and nationalities.
WOW welcomes works from every sector of the Australian & International women filmmaking community, particularly from Australian indigenous filmmakers and other under represented groups. WOW 2015 aims to be a festival of discovery, a celebration of cinema and screen production for filmmakers and the general public and a centre of debate, networking and an inspiration for new works.
WOW is presented by Women in Film and Television NSW. WIFT NSW is committed to improving the status of women, both on and off the screen, by supporting and advancing women working in the film, television and related screen industries. We are a membership-based not-for-profit organisation.
WIFT NSW is part of a global organisation, Women in Film and Television International (WIFTI), which provides a foundation for global co-operation as well as a public voice representing and unifying our members worldwide.
Alex Petropoulos (Festival Director); Alex Petropoulos (Festival Director); Clare Langsford (WOW Administrator); Janet Brown (Festival Producer)
Films must either have a women director or at least two of these categories: producer / writer / editor / cinematographer / production designer / art director / central acting role is a woman.
Entrants entering with a discount fee must provide photocopied proof of current membership of the applicable Women in Film and Television (WIFT) Chapter or student identification.
See the full Terms and Conditions below.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. Films must either have a woman director, if not directed by a woman, film must have a woman in at least TWO of these categories: producer / writer / editor / cinematographer / production designer / art director / central acting role is a woman.
2. All entries must send two DVDs for previewing. DVD should be Region Code free or set to Region 4 (Australia), Region 0 (Worldwide) or Region ALL. One film only per DVD.
3. Entries for the Short Film Competition must be less than 55 minutes in duration.
4. All films must be in English or have English subtitles.
5. All films must have been completed in or after 1 January 2013 and must not have previously been screened in a WOW Film Festival.
6. Include cast/crew list, synopsis, and any press material where available in digital / electronic format. Paper copy may be accepted.
7. All entries must be sent postage paid to: WOW Film Festival, PO Box 12, Potts Point, NSW 1335, Australia.
Submissions within Australia ONLY, enclose a stamped self-addressed padded bag or Postpak if you want your preview DVD returned. International entries will not be returned.
8. Submissions that arrive without the entry fee will not be considered for selection.
9. Selection is based on artistic merit and general audience appeal by an industry panel co-ordinated by WOW. We seek films for Australian premieres. WOW will accept work that has been previously screened or broadcast, but will take the number of public screenings into account when selecting films.
10. Entries must be received by the final extended deadline, 31 March 2015.
IF YOUR FILM IS SELECTED WOW WILL NOTIFY YOU BY EMAIL
> WOW will request that you email jpeg stills for publicity.
> Filmmakers are responsible for freight of selected films to the Festival
by 30 June 2015 WOW will only pay return freight for selected films.
> If selected the film must be sent to WIFT NSW as a Quicktime .MOV file in Pro-Res HQ, Pro-Res or H.264 codec.
Aspect ration: 1920x1080 (HD) where possible. This may be submitted on an external hard drive, data DVD or USB.
> The Festival may use extracts from films and stills for promotional purposes and festival publicity.
> The festival trailer may screen on Free-to-air TV/ Pay TV/ Non-theatrical/ Internet.
> By entering your film into the WOW Film Festival you are agreeing to it being selected for screening in the WOW Film Festival Tour until end of March 2016.
RULES OF MULTI-PLATFORM MEDIA ENTRY
Films will be uploaded to YouTube and available through the WOW Channel. Entries requirements:
- Video Format: H.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 preferred
- Aspect Ratio: Native aspect ratio without letterboxing (examples: 4:3,16:9)
- Resolution: 640x360 (16:9) or 480x360 (4:3) recommended
- Audio Format: MP3 or AAC preferred
- Frames per second: 30
- Maximum length: 4 minutes (we recommend 2-3 minutes)
- Maximum file size: 1 GB
- Digital Media entries must be sent as QUICKTIME on DVD or USB DRIVE
- Finalists selected will be up loaded to our YouTube channel and the Vodule with the most hits will win our Vodule competition.
I have read the WOW Film Festival guidelines and conditions of entry and agree to abide by them. I warrant that I have the authority to enter this film into the WOW Film Festival and WOW Film Festival Tour, and that the film does not infringe the rights, including copyright, of any third party.