OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES • Select a Category of Entry to continue.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Full Frame serves the documentary form and its community by showcasing the contemporary work of established and emerging filmmakers. The festival provides a space that nurtures conversation between artists, students, and the Full Frame audience. Full Frame is committed to enhancing public understanding and appreciation of the art form and its significance, while making films more accessible to a wider audience.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Full Frame Documentary Film Festival is an annual international event dedicated to the theatrical exhibition of nonfiction cinema. Each spring, Full Frame welcomes filmmakers and film lovers from around the world to historic downtown Durham, North Carolina, for a four-day, morning-to-midnight array of nearly 100 films, as well as discussions, panels, and Southern hospitality. Set within a few city blocks, the intimate festival landscape fosters community and conversation among filmmakers, film professionals, and the public.
The festival is a program of the Center for Documentary Studies, a nonprofit 501(c)(3), and serves as a qualifying festival for the Producers Guild of America Award for Best Documentary and the Academy Award for Best Documentary Short Subject. The Presenting Sponsor of the festival is Duke University.
Sadie Tillery (Director of Programming)
2017 APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
ENTRY FEE & DEADLINES: Submission fees are the same for shorts (40 minutes or less) and features (41 minutes or longer).
Regular deadline: September 1 – October 31 / $40
Late deadline: November 1 – December 15 / $60
Screeners received after October 31 will be charged the late deadline fee. Screeners received after December 15 may not be considered. Entry fees are non-refundable.
ELIGIBILITY: Short and feature documentary films completed after January 1, 2016, are eligible for Full Frame 2017.
SUBMISSION FORMAT: Full Frame accepts Withoutabox Secure Online Screeners or Vimeo links. Vimeo links are preferred.
NOTIFICATIONS: Notifications regarding acceptance will be sent no later than March 3, 2017.
ROUGH CUTS: We strongly encourage you to submit the most complete version of your film possible. We cannot guarantee that replacement cuts will be viewed. If you are submitting a rough cut, please indicate in your application what elements are still incomplete: temporary sound, temporary graphics, missing scenes, etc. To discuss the timing of submitting a rough cut, please email email@example.com.
UPDATED CUTS: Our programming team will review the original screener received. Full Frame cannot guarantee that updated versions of your film will be reviewed, but links to new cuts can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
RESUBMISSIONS: Unless you have completely reworked the film, we discourage you from submitting again.
PREMIERES: Full Frame does not have a formal premiere requirement. When making final decisions, programmers do take a film’s exposure into consideration, especially prior screenings in North Carolina, wide play on the festival circuit, a national television broadcast, or a theatrical release.
FEEDBACK: Unfortunately, we are unable to provide individualized feedback to filmmakers.
QUESTIONS: Have additional questions about submitting? Please email email@example.com.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
2017 FULL FRAME TERMS OF ENTRY
Exhibiting filmmaker (“Exhibitor”) represents and warrants that:
1. All persons who are featured in the film have given unrestricted permission for use of their images, words, and performances, waiving or assigning to Exhibitor all rights including but not limited to copyrights and moral rights.
2. To the extent any pre-existing material is used in the film that is not original to Exhibitor, except brief clips of video and/or audio material used only to the extent reasonably necessary for purposes of public criticism, commentary and documentary reporting relevant to the thesis of the film, Exhibitor has obtained unrestricted permission from all rights holders for use of the material in the film and for display and performance of the film or any portions thereof in any and all venues and media, including for promotional purposes.
3. To the extent any remaining rights relating to the film are owned by third parties, Exhibitor warrants that Exhibitor has all rights and permissions necessary to permit the showing of the film at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival (a program of The Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University referred to hereinafter, collectively, as “Full Frame”) and any other events sponsored by Full Frame at which Exhibitor agrees or has agreed the film may be exhibited, and for use of excerpts or portions thereof in any and all venues and media, including for promotional purposes.
4. All materials submitted to Full Frame are otherwise the original work of Exhibitor (and its employees, if any), and not of any third party.
5. Exhibitor has good and marketable title to the entire submitted work. Exhibitor shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Full Frame from any and all liability, loss, costs, damage, judgment, or expense (including reasonable attorneys fees) resulting from or arising in any way out of any such claims by any third parties that are based upon, or are the result of any breach of the warranties in this Exhibition Agreement.
By completing the online entry form, Exhibitor constitutes his/her full and complete acceptance of the terms hereof and that Exhibitor has read and complies with the 2017 Full Frame Documentary Film Festival Terms of Entry.