DECISIONS ALREADY MADE
• This event has already made decisions and notified
submitters for the current cycle. Submissions are no longer being
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Our Mission: "Celebrate the diversity of human experience through the art of independent film by enriching, educating and inspiring all audiences"
"Top 50 Film Festival Worth the Entry Fee 2018" - MovieMaker Magazine
The AIFF is committed to providing filmmakers with the best festival experience possible. We extensively promote your film which is screened several times over five days in sold-out theaters packed with intelligent, engaged audiences. Enjoy the hospitality of our staff and volunteers in a cultural and mountain destination described by the Washington Post as, "like a dream, you'll never want to leave."
“It’s not just one thing that makes the festival great. The town has a charm. There is an open atmosphere where the filmmakers really get to meet and talk to each other, and the mixers that the festival puts on encourages that even more. And the town really turns out for every screening. They were one of the most receptive and engaged audiences I have had the pleasure of screening my film for. It's the perfect mix of everything you want at a film festival." - Pablo Bryant-Producer/Director, MR.FISH: CARTOONING FROM THE DEEP END, 2018 Special Jury Recognition: Documentary Feature
“I met so many incredible people while there, and left with inspiration. It's truly a magical place.” - Zackary Drucker, 2018 Pride Award Recipient
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
New in 2019: The James Blue Filmmaker Award. This juried award will be given to a filmmaker whose first or second documentary or narrative feature exemplifies the values of Oregonian director James Blue (1930-80), whose work addressed complex issues of social justice and social/political change. The award, funded by the James Blue Alliance in the amount of $2,500, will be given to the selected film director on awards night of the Ashland Independent Film Festival.
THE 18th ANNUAL ASHLAND INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL WELCOMES YOU
• Five days of independent films; 85%+ of all seats sold
• 100+ narrative and documentary shorts and features, plus art exhibitions and live performances
• Complimentary accommodations
• Daily panels and nightly parties
• Four audience awards and six juried awards selected by film professionals from across the U.S.
• Engaged, intelligent, arts-oriented audiences
• Ashland's community of 20,000 in sunny Southern Oregon
• Five screens at the intimate art deco Varsity Theatre with a second venue three blocks away, plus screenings at the Ashland Street Cinema
• Downtown location with over 100 restaurants, galleries, shops, internationally recognized Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and 20 miles of trails in Lithia Park
• Scenic Rogue Valley's river rafting, wineries, artisanal cheeses, chocolates, and pears
• Lifetime, Artistic Achievement, Rogue, Pride, and Juice Awards: including Chris Cooper, Lynn Shelton, James Ivory, Julie Taymor, Albert Maysles, Heidi Ewing, Rachel Grady, Barbara Kopple, Elvis Mitchell, Barbara Hammer, Celia Rowlson-Hall, Bill Plympton, Helen Hunt, Les Blank, Lucy Walker, Harry Shearer, Chris Eyre, Will Vinton Henry Jaglom, Morgan Spurlock, Bruce Campbell, Ondi Timoner,Ty Burrell, and Greg Louganis
"I have received many honors; none of them have touched me as deeply and soulfully..." --Albert Maysles, AIFF Lifetime Achievement Award recipient
Thank you for creating your work of art; we would be honored if you share it with us. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. Best wishes, the AIFF
Caley Fagerstrom (Filmmaker Liaison); Emily McPeck (Communications Manager); Erica Thompson (Director of Operations); Leah Halpert (Systems Manager); Richard Herskowitz (Artistic and Executive Director)
ENTERING YOUR FILM
--A working link to an online version of your film on Withoutabox and/or Vimeo—and any necessary passwords to view the film—MUST be uploaded at the time of submission, along with your entry fee. Please note: This link must remain active and working through April 2019. If any changes are made to the access of your film's link, please contact AIFF at firstname.lastname@example.org with the updated information immediately, or your film may be disqualified from consideration.
--Each entry must be accompanied by its own entry form and fee.
--All submissions are notified by email upon verification of SOS upload or once credentials for Vimeo Screener are received.
--Notification will take place February 5, 2019; all entries, accepted or not, will be emailed on that date.
ENTRY FEE SPECIFICS
--Upgraded Withoutabox project: $5 discount off Early, Regular, Late and fees Extended deadline fee.
--Student: $10 discount off all fees.*
--AIFF Alumni: Alumni only refers to directors and their directorial projects. Those who have directed films in past AIFF editions may submit their new directorial projects without a submission fee. AIFF does not provide alumni discounts to those who have participated in the creation of past projects in any other capacity. Your entry fee will be waived by contacting email@example.com with your previous film title and year.
--Siskiyou Region Filmmakers (Coos, Curry, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine or Klamath counties in OR, or Del Norte or Siskiyou counties in CA): Entry fee is waived when you submit a Local Fee Waiver Form.
--Other: No other discounts will be granted.
* To receive a student discount on Withoutabox, filmmaker/film must be registered as a student project. Students must be, or have been, enrolled in an accredited school (K-12, undergrad, graduate) at the time of production. You do not need to be a student currently to submit your film.
IF YOUR FILM IS SELECTED
--Filmmakers will be invited to Ashland (in sunny Southern Oregon) with complimentary lodging, two VIP passes, some meals, and ground transportation to/from the Rogue Valley Medford Airport.
--Your film may screen up to five times, with an additional screening should it win an award.
--Films will be placed in competitive and non-competitive categories at the sole discretion of the AIFF.
--International films are not eligible for competition. See Entry FAQs on our website for more info.
--Exhibition Formats: DCP
--You are responsible for shipping the exhibition copy of your film to the festival.
If you have questions please email (firstname.lastname@example.org), call (541.488.3823) or go to our website (ashlandfilm.org).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Thank you for submitting your work of art to the Ashland Independent Film Festival. By entering your film you are agreeing to the following Terms and Conditions:
With the submission of this film I agree to the following:
--I am authorized to submit this film to the AIFF for consideration.
--I have obtained all necessary rights and clearances.
--While every precaution will be taken to safeguard all materials submitted, I release the AIFF from all responsibility for loss of or damage to submitted materials en route or otherwise.
--I have read, understand and agree to all the requirements as stated in the above "General Festival Rules."
If you have questions please email (email@example.com), call (541.488.3823) or go to our website (ashlandfilm.org). Thank you for creating art and for submitting to the Ashland Independent Film Festival.