EVENT NOW IN PROGRESS!
• This event is happening right now. For more information,
click to the event\'s Home Page.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Setup in 204, The Documentary New Zealand Trust is a not-for-profit charitable organisation based in Auckland.
Documentary Edge Festival is New Zealand's only and Australasia's premiere international documentary film festival.
Our mission is to entertain, move and provoke diverse audiences through the art and business of documentaries.
Our vision is a striving documentary culture in New Zealand that inspires a passionate action-driven community.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Since 2005, Documentary Edge Festival is the only dedicated international documentary film festival held in New Zealand that showcases the very best and edgiest documentary films from New Zealand and around the World.
The Festival runs annually in Auckland and Wellington and includes Awards, Q & A sessions with filmmakers, Doc Talks, special events and more.
Screen Edge Forum, a 2-day industry conference is held during the Festival. The Forum is an annual Film, TV and all media industry event focused on innovative ways to create and fund screen productions.
The 10th annual of Documentary Edge Festival will be held in Auckland 20 May - 1 June 2015 and in Wellington 3-14 June 2015.
There are three submission deadlines:
- Early Bird: 1 Oct 2014
- Regular: 15 Dec 2014
- Late: 31 Dec 2014
For the latest information, please check our website www.documentaryedge.org.nz and sign up for the e-newsletter.
Alex Lee (Director-Founder-Programmer)
; Bea Lo (Festival Coordinator)
; Dan Shanan (Director-Founder-Programmer)
; Michelle Lafferty (Publicist)
General Festival Rules
Documentary Edge Festival (DEF) is a competitive festival. A New Zealand wide festival, DEF runs in Auckland, Wellington and other satellite locations around the country. Our sister event, Screen Edge Forum (SEF) NZ’s pan-screen industry event, runs during DEF.
Our mission is for New Zealand to be Australasia’s premier showcase of the best new documentary films from New Zealand and around the world. We bring local and international filmmakers and industry together to share and celebrate documentary filmmaking as well as explore collaboration.
Films must have been completed from 2013 onwards. The filmmaker must have the sole and exclusive ownership of all rights in the New Zealand territory related to the submitted film ("the Film") as well as the authority to submit the Film to DEF.
DEF 2015 accepts films for selection in the following categories:
• Short (up to 40 minutes)
• Feature (41 minutes and over)
Children and Youth
This category is for films about and suitable for Children and Youth.
This category is for films made by students as part of their film studies.
This category is for all New Zealand films.
DEF has a "premiere policy". Preference will be given to premieres in the following order:
• New Zealand
Films previously screened at New Zealand festivals or released theatrically in New Zealand will not be considered for DEF 2015.
3) New Zealand Submissions
• NZ films are exempt from submission fees.
• If your feature film is selected, you may qualify to apply for a feature film finishing grant from the NZ Film Commission. Funding is not guaranteed and is competitive on a case by case basis. See details on the NZFC website.
• NZ films that have been broadcasted or which have been commissioned for broadcast may be considered. However, it is DEF’s preference to screen a documentary festival length version. We do not consider a prior television length broadcast as precluding the festival length’s eligibility.
4) Screenings and Fees
In submitting the Film, the filmmaker acknowledges that:
• DEF is a not-for-profit charitable organization and does not normally pay any screening fees in respect of the Film; and
• DEF will schedule up to four screenings of the selected films at such times and at Festival locations as it deems suitable and will provide these details to the respective submitters once the scheduling has been confirmed.
5) Entry Process
Entry Deadlines and Fees
Please submit the entry through FilmFreeway or Withoutabox together with the relevant fee for the applicable deadline:
- Early Bird: 1 Oct 2014 – Feature: $40 | Short: $30
- Regular: 15 Dec 2014 – Feature: $50 | Short: $40
- Late: 31 Dec 2014 – Feature: $55 | Short: $45
New Zealand submissions are free.
Applications must be accompanied by preview materials. Please send to us:
DEF requires TWO (2) DVD preview screeners in the PAL or Region Free format. Please include the film title, running time and tracking number on each DVD.
Note: All non-English spoken films must have English subtitles. Incomplete entries will not be accepted.
Preview materials must be shipped prepaid and the package must indicate the title of film and the customs declaration properly marked as follows: "For festival purposes only. No commercial value." Filmmakers will be responsible for any duties payable as a result of an incorrect customs declaration.
Return of Preview Materials
DEF does not return any of the DVD screeners of the film/s submitted.
6) DEF Competition
DEF is a competitive festival with various award categories. All films selected will be in competition unless advised otherwise. A Jury Panel will view the films and the results will be announced at the DEF Awards. DEF's decision as to finalists is final. DEF will not entertain any requests for review nor consider any complaints.
New Zealand Awards
Best Short Documentary, Best Feature Documentary, Best Director, Best Editing, Best Cinematography, Best Emerging Filmmaker.
"New Zealand" films are films that are shot, edited and completed in New Zealand; or with a New Zealand national in the role of Producer, Director, DOP or Editor.
Best Short Documentary, Best Feature Documentary, Best Director
Best by Category (programme sections), Documentary Edge International Super Hero
7) Exhibition Format
DEF exhibits all films in Apple ProRes format. Once selected, please submit the exhibition format in the following requirements:
- Video Format: Apple ProRes (LT or HQ)
- Aspect Ratio: HD1080 (1920x1080)
- Frame Rate: 25
- Sound Format: Stereo
8) Exhibition Shipping
Shipping instructions will be sent to the film supplier once the film has been selected.
• Shipping to DEF (Inbound) is at the filmmaker's cost
• DEF will be responsible for onward shipping (Outbound) where required
Only hard drives and tapes of selected films will be returned. Please note that if the film is being shown at another festival/venue immediately following DEF, the other festival/venue will be responsible for the costs of shipping from DEF to their own address.
Customs declarations must be properly marked as follows: "For Festival Purposes Only. No Commercial Value." The dollar value should not exceed $100 (NZD). Filmmakers will be responsible for any duties payable as a result of an incorrect customs declaration.
Postal Shipping address (for screeners)
PO Box 10297
Physical Shipping address (for couriers only)
Suite 2-3, 72 Dominion Road
9) Film Withdrawal Policy
The filmmaker agrees that once the filmmaker has accepted DEF's written invitation to screen at the Festival:
• the Film cannot be withdrawn from DEF. immediately upon the communication being delivered to the receiving party.
• the Film will not be made available on the internet and accessible to New Zealand audiences prior to or during DEF.
• the Film will not screen at any other festival, cinema or broadcaster in New Zealand prior to or during DEF.
• advise any sales agent or distributor that the Film has been submitted for selection to DEF and that in the event the film has to be withdrawn, that this must be done in writing prior to the filmmaker accepting DEF’s written invitation to screen at the festival.
Should the Film be so screened as detailed in 8(b) and 8(c) above, DEF may at its sole discretion withdraw the Film from programming and competition.
The Filmmaker accepts that in the event any of the above occurs, that the filmmaker shall be responsible for any reasonably foreseeable costs and losses suffered by DEF.
For the purposes of this clause, the Parties agree that fax, email and mobile texts communications shall bind the Parties.
10) Changes to Film Status
The filmmaker shall immediately inform DEF in writing upon becoming aware of:
• any matters which may prevent the Film from being selected or
• if there are any matters that may affect the legality of any such screenings or
• affect the credibility of the Film; and
• any changes to the person responsible for the film’s submission to DEF
Failure to do so may result in the Film being withdrawn from programming or from competition at DEF's discretion.
11) Film Screening History
The filmmaker undertakes to deliver to DEF upon DEF's written confirmation of the Film's selection, full details of all prior screenings and future screenings up and including the duration of DEF 2015.
12) Liability and Insurance and Rights Clearances
The filmmaker is responsible for insuring the Exhibition Print:
• DEF is only responsible for serious loss or damage caused to the Exhibition Print through the fault of DEF which is within the control of DEF. DEF is not responsible for any loss or damage through force majeure, natural elements, theft and loss caused while in transit or when the Exhibition Print is in the control of a third party.
• In case of loss or serious damage to a print, the obligation of DEF is limited to compensating the producer or distributor only for the cost of making a new print from another master.
The filmmaker confirms that all clearances and releases have been obtained for the Film and will indemnify DEF from any third party claims against DEF for the screening or publication of the Film or any materials associated with it for breach of copyright or privacy or failure to obtain the appropriate clearances and releases.
Upon selection, DEF is authorized to use the publicity materials related to the Film (i.e. press kits, posters, stills, etc.) for promotional purposes and to broadcast or screen clips up to a maximum of three minutes.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I, the filmmaker or on behalf of the filmmaker, have the sole and exclusive ownership of all rights related to the submitted production and I have the full authority to submit the production to DEF and bind all other third parties with an interest in the Film (director, producer, sales agent or film distributor) to this I also agree that:
1. I have read the Terms and Conditions above and accept the same.
2. DEF's decision as to the selection of films into the DEF programme and the finalists for competition is final and binding.
3. I confirm that following my written acceptance of DEF’s invitation to screen the Film at DEF:-
4. I will not withdraw the film from DEF programme.
5. I will provide the agreed formats noted above to DEF in a timely manner and this should not be any later than four weeks prior to the start of the Festival programme
6. I will not make the Film available on the internet and accessible to New Zealand audiences prior to or during DEF.
7. I will not screen the Film nor allow any other organization/individual to screen the Film in New Zealand in any format whatsoever prior to or during DEF.
8. DEF is a not for profit charitable trust and does not pay any fees for screening the film at DEF.
9. I understand and accept that DEF is New Zealand wide festival with screening venues around New Zealand and authorize DEF to programme and publicly exhibit the Film at its various Festival locations around New Zealand.
10. If I am or become aware of any matters which may prevent the Film from being selected or screened, that I will immediately by writing inform DEF accordingly. I accept that failure to do so may result in the Film being withdrawn from programming or competition at DEF's discretion.
11. I acknowledge and accept that I am responsible for transportation and shipping of exhibition prints/tapes one way to DEF.
12. I agree that if the Film is selected for screening at DEF, I authorize DEF to utilize publicity materials related to the production (i.e. press kits, posters, stills, etc.) for promotional purposes and to broadcast or screen clips up to a maximum of three minutes.
13. For the purposes of this submission, the Parties agree that any notice will be deemed delivered to the other party at the date and time specified in a fax transmission confirmation, email receipt/delivery confirmation or confirmation of post.
14. I confirm that I have the authority to enter into this Agreement.
I have read the Terms and Conditions above and agree to comply accordingly. I undertake that the information provided in this Entry is complete and correct. By submitting the Film, the filmmaker understands and accepts the Terms and Conditions of this Agreement.