OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES • Select a Category of Entry to continue.
|Feature length narratives with a minimum of 70 minute running times.
|Short Films that are under 70 minutes in length.
|Experimental films of any length may be considered.
|Feature Documentary films must be over 70 minutes in length. All genres will be considered.
|Short Documentary films must be under 70 minutes in length and must be submitted on DVD in NTSC format.
|Animated films of all lengths will be considered.
|Films by student filmmakers currently enrolled in an accredited college or university.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Big Apple Film Festival, in conjunction with the Big Apple Film Society, is dedicated to showcasing and promoting the highest quality films from the New York City independent film community, as well as additional specially selected films from across the country and around the world. Named one of MovieMaker Magazine's top "25 Film Festivals Worth The Entry Fee" and "25 Coolest Film Festivals" BAFF seeks to highlight films and filmmakers that reflect the unique qualities of New York City. Our mission is to celebrate the great city of New York through exhibition of innovative filmmaking. We seek to bridge the gap between dedicated independent film audiences and filmmakers, as well as to connect emerging filmmakers with established industry professionals. In addition, as New York City is synonymous with cultural diversity, a primary purpose of the festival is to recognize films and filmmakers that seek to focus their attention on the unique qualities of individuals of diverse backgrounds and ethnicities.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Big Apple Film Festival, presented by the Big Apple Film Society, takes place annually at the world famous Tribeca Cinemas in the heart of the greatest city in the world. The BAFF, named one of MovieMaker Magazine's top "25 Film Festivals Worth The Entry Fee" and top "25 Coolest Film Festivals", is dedicated to showcasing and promoting the highest quality films from the New York City independent film community, as well as additional specially selected films from across the country and around the world. Our goal is to celebrate the great city of New York through the exhibition of innovative filmmaking, which reflects the unique qualities of the city and its people. In addition, our mission is to bridge the gap between dedicated independent film audiences and filmmakers, as well as to connect emerging filmmakers with established industry professionals. The festival offers a variety of film screenings and special New York City premieres. Additionally, the festival is proud to honor a variety of New York City based filmmakers, writers, actors and artists who have played an influential role in the growth of independent filmmaking in the Big Apple.
PREVIOUS HONORARY GUESTS AND AWARD RECIPIENTS
-Cuba Gooding Jr.
-Zoe Lister Jones
ALUMNI FILM INCLUDE:
_"Life of a King" starring Cuba Gooding Jr. (theatrical release 2014)
-"Reporting on the Times" - (Student Academy Award nominee)
-"Ex-Girlfriends" starring Jennifer Carpenter(Dexter) and Jennifer Connolly(Cabin in the Woods)
"Love, Ludlow"(Sundance Film Festival official selection, released by Warner Home Video)
"Harvest" starring Robert Loggia(Showtime Network)
-"The Pill" Rachel Boston, Noah Bean, Anna Chlumsky(released by Filmbuff, available on Netflix and iTunes)
-"Montana Amazon" starring Academy Award nominee Haley Joel Osment and Academy Award winner Olympia Dukakis
"Breaking Upwards" Starring Zoe Lister Jones and Daryl Wein (IFC Films)
-"Circus Maximus" (starring Boby Canavalle, Kevin Corrigan, Mario Cabntone(available on Netflix)
-"Against the Current" starring Joseph Fiennes, Elizabeth Reaser, Mary Tyler Moore(IFC Films)
-"Time Freak" Short Film Academy Award nominee
-"Love Hurts", starring Richard E. Grant, Carrie Ann Moss, Janeane Garofalo, Jenna Elfman(Lantern Lane Entertainment)
-"Schmatta: Rags To Riches To Rags"(HBO Documentary FIlms)
-"Suffering Man's Charity" directed by Alan Cumming, starring Alan Cumming, Anne Heche, Carrie Fisher
- "The Living Wake" starring Academy Award nominee Jesse Eisenberg
- "Picture Day" (Student Academy Award nominee)
- "Megatron" (winner Palm D'or, Short Film Category, Cannes Film Festival)
- "Beyond Wiseguys: Italian Americans and the Movies" (featuring Chazz Palminteri, Stanley Tucci, Susan Sarandon, Jack Valenti, David Chase, Ben Gazzara, Isabella Rossellini)
Previous panelists, guests and keynote speakers include representatives from:
- Samuel Goldwyn Films,
-First Run Features
.In order to bring the most elite talent to the silver screen, BAFF has been proud to partner with a variety of New York City independent film organizations and media outlets including IFP and MovieMaker Magazine.
Jonathan Lipp (Director)
BIG APPLE FILM FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
This years festival will accept submissions until September 1, 2014.
1. Big Apple Film Festival accepts submissions for features, shorts, documentaries, short documentaries, animation, experimental and student films.
2. All films submitted must have been completed on or after September 1, 2013.
3. All films must be submitted on DVD in NTSC format or with an online screener..
4. If you would like your screening copy returned, you must provide self-addressed stamped packaging.
5. All feature narrative and feature documentary submissions must be over 70 minutes in length.
6. All short film narrative and short documentary submissions must be under 70 minutes in length.
7. Animated, experimental and student film submissions of all lengths will be considered.
8. All filmmakers must have an exhibition format available in at least one of the following: DVD, Blue Ray, digibeta, Beta SP, VHS, 35mm or 16mm.
9. All submissions must include a printed application form and a DVD screener in NTSC format or an online screener. All DVD's must include your Withoutabox tracking number. If payment is not made by credit card through Withoutabox.com, the submission must also include a check or money order of the appropriate funds made out to: Big Apple Film Festival.
Send all materials to: Big Apple Film Festival, 1662 Old Country Road #1034, Plainview, NY 11803.
All submission fees must be paid by either credit card, check or money order.
10. ALL SUBMISSION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I certify that I hold all necessary rights for the submission of this film and have read the regulations.
I certify that I hold the rights to this film and/or screenplay.