SPECIAL SUBMISSIONS ONLY • Final deadlines have passed. If
you have a deadline waiver or special instructions from the event,
select a Category of Entry to continue.
|Feature Film (all)
|Feature Category is open to any genre in lengths over 40 minutes. We have a track record of showing a variety of genres, including, drama, comedy, horror, romance, tragedy, family, and more.
|Short Film (all)
|Short category accepts all genres and forms, at least 5 minutes but under 40 minutes. Past shorts have included a variety of genres including comedy, drama, tragedy, romance, horror, animation, music videos, experimental, and more.
|Any genre documentary over 40 minutes. We have shown a wide selection of documentaries styles and formats over the years.
|Any genre documentary under 40 minutes.
|Screenplays Long Form (31 pages or more)
|Any genre screenplay/teleplay 31 pages or more.
|Screenplay Short Form (30 pages or less)
|Any genre screenplay/teleplay 30 pages or less.
|Music Videos and Micro-Shorts
|We offer an "always discounted" entry program for Music Videos and Micro-Short Films under five minutes in length. Any films or videos with runtimes of 5 minutes or longer should enter under the normal short film category
Due to the already discounted entry fees, we DO NOT offer a student discount in this category.
|The SoCal Film Festival's Youth Movement Program is a showcase for Young, Student Filmmakers between the ages of 13-17 years old.
It gives young filmmakers an opportunity to enter a festival with a specific screening program for the age group, emphasizing story and entertainment value. Movies15 minutes or longer should enter under the standard short film category.
Due to the already discounted entry fee, we do not offer an additional student discount with this category.
|Movies intended for New Media / Web Series and under 40 minutes. If over 40 minutes, please enter as a feature.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
More Voices. More Stories.
The Huntington Beach's Film Festival's mission is to bring the best of independent cinema to our community and promote diversity, tolerance and understanding.
Join us for our 13th year as we celebrate the storytellers of tomorrow! We market to industry pros and get movies reviewed and discussed in the media and on social media! Formerly named the SoCal Film Festival, our name change better reflects our wonderful community, but will continue its tradition of bringing outstanding independent films to Huntington Beach, CA.
The Huntington Beach Film Festival has award-winning movies and screenplays; industry speakers; professional workshops; Q&As with directors and actors; special guests; a distinguished panel of jury members and screeners; volunteer opportunities; and scores of film watching attendees.
What we're looking for:
Any genre, any length, narrative or documentary.
Any budget, no budget. We value story over production value.
We love finding authentic voices and we love great writing.
We’re committed to discovering and promoting the work of women and minority filmmakers, and filmmakers from other under-represented groups, such as the LGBT+ community, or indigenous filmmakers from all over the world.
Subversion is very cool. We like challenging authority.
Local Huntington Beach and Orange County filmmakers are especially encouraged to submit. We want to support you.
Student filmmakers, especially locals, are also encouraged to submit. You’re the future and we want to see your work.
Two other particular niches that we’re interested in: filmmakers with stories about senior issues are encouraged to submit.
And finally, we’re in Huntington Beach, CA, also known as Surf City USA! We’d love to see films about surfing, as well as films about the ocean and the environment.
Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.
We can’t wait to see your work!
"As festivals go, think of it as the equivalent of a Robert Altman ensemble picture: plenty of stars getting equal treatment and no one towering as a headliner over the rest." Michael Miller, LA Times
" Every year for a decade now, the festival has delivered music videos, short films, animation, features and documentaries. This event is the perfect combination of good people, good films ..." -Paul Booth, INFLUX Magazine
"Time flies when you're watching a well-made film, and time has flown for a now 10-year-old Huntington Beach festival that specializes in indie flicks and the people who make them." -Matt Coker, OC Weekly
"Throughout the years I really enjoyed the diverse and compelling films," Jason Kartalian, Filmmaker, Seahorses
We hope you consider HBFF an important part of the industry as we make every effort to put your films in front of other filmmakers; industry pros and, of course, film watchers. An outlet for Independent filmmakers to show their work to industry professionals.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Enter the Huntington Beach Film Fest and have a chance to be a part of an event that celebrates the true spirit, culture and art of filmmaking and screenwriting.
The festival has both theatrical and online screening events to accommodate an ever-changing audience of movie watchers!
Many past festival movies have gone on to find distribution and success for the filmmakers and screenwriters! We have media partners at Influx Magazine that help get movies seen and reviewed. Additional sponsors include Honda, Final Draft and Marriott Courtyard Hotels.
The Huntington Beach Film Festival in Huntington Beach, previously named one of MovieMaker Magazine's top 20 festivals worth the entry fee, is organized by experienced professionals with the purpose of sharing art, culture and entertainment through film and screenwriting.
The goal of the Huntington Beach Film Festival is to bring exposure to Independent Filmmakers, allowing screenings for the public, industry pros, and press.
Each year, the Huntington Beach Film Festival continues to show more movies to a wider audience base, bringing together film watchers, screenwriters and filmmakers.
Our panel of more than 25 jurors serve as Distinguished Patrons of the Arts representing academia and the industry, and jurors come from honored institutions including USC, AFI, NYU, UCLA and many others.
Many of the films exhibited and premiering at the Huntington Beach Film Festival have gone on to receive widened distribution and critical praise. Recent success have been THE LACKEY (now in worldwide distribution), A LONELY PLACE FOR DYING (James Cromwell), UNREST, TRUE BROMANCE (Adrian Grenier), A MARINE STORY (Dreya Weber), as well as the World Premiere of Christina Ricci's ALL'S FAIRE IN LOVE, the action sports premiere of the motocross movie MIND OF THE DEMON and many other premieres. Past winners include THE ELEPHANT KING, JACKSON, and ZEBRA CROSSINGS. The latter two both had their world premieres at HBFF and have since gone onto receive critical recognition worldwide.
Previous jurors and screeners are volunteers within the entertainment industry such as distributors, agents and producers from many companies, including: Warner Bros. / Atlantic / Cotillion's Group Slave, G5 Entertainment; 7th Art Releasing; Sharon Smith Talent, LLC; Ascendant Pictures; Foote Cone & Belding; Rogue Arts; State of California Media Dept; AEI; Metropolitan Talent Agency, Barnholtz Entertainment; Niad Management; Videomaker Magazine; The People Store; VersusMedia; Cinemavault Releasing International; as well as others that may not be listed here.
Movies are watched and scripts are read by industry professionals, including agents, producers and distributors.
Awards & Prizes
InkTip: Where everyone goes for scripts and writers. Producers have made more than 200 films from scripts and writers they found through InkTip.
Winners of the Screenplay Long From and Screenplay Short Form categories will receive an InkTip Script Listing: A listing of your script on InkTip so that producers and reps can find you.
We are happy to announce that Final Draft Screenwriting Software will join us once again as a 2018 sponsor! This means we will be giving away five copies of the industry standard screenwriting software in our 2018 film festival.
We’re very pleased to announce that we’re partnering with the International Screenwriters’ Association. If you’re a member of this great organization, you get a discounted rate on your submissions to SoCal.
The ISA is an International Community that supports writers with the resources and prospects that can propel your career! They provide screenwriters access to Agents, Managers, Producers & Directors
Other awards include theatrical screenings, distributor previews, media reviews and more. Awards and prizes vary from year to year depending on final event sponsorship.
Alexandra Graham (Director of Programming); Alexandra Graham (Director of Programming); Stanley Davis (Festival Director); Stanley Davis (Festival Director); Stanley Davis (Festival Director)
Information not provided.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
2018 HUNTINGTON BEACH FILM FESTIVAL OFFICIAL GUIDELINES AND RULES:
I. Certification of Film or Screenplay Entrant
II. Film Submissions
III. Screenplay Submissions
IV. General Waiver Rules and Guidelines
II. Certification of Film or Screenplay Entrant:
I, the undersigned, acknowledge and agree as follows:
1. I have read, understand and fully comply with all submission eligibility information, Submission Guidelines, Terms and Conditions of Entry and Entry Eligibility requirements.
2. To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements in this document are true;
3. This production (feature, short, documentary, or other media) is not subject to any litigation nor is threatened by any litigation;
4. I am duly authorized to submit this production to the competition;
5. I hold The Huntington Beach Film Festival (HBFF) harmless from any damage to the print(s) or tape(s) or media en route or otherwise during the course of the festivals possession of the film;
6. I hold the Huntington Beach Film Festival (HBFF), its management, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, and etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from my entry.
7. I certify that I have full rights to the use of the music in the production.
8. I give permission for the HBFF to use excerpts of up to three minutes of the production for promotional purposes, unless otherwise noted in attached writing and submitted with entry.
9. I give permission for the HBFF to use stills, titles, copy, and/or information from the production for promotional purposes.
10. I give permission for the HBFF to screen the production at the HBFF event.
11. Submitter must own all copyrights; (If requested) must be able to provide model/actor release verification if requested; must be able to provide music, product and other copyright licensing verification if requested. Submitter/Producer agrees to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film.
12. Entry does not guarantee acceptance into HBFF festival or other HBFF events.
II. FILM SUBMISSIONS
1. SUBMISSION FORMAT: All Festival submissions should be submitted through FilmFreeway as an online screener.
2. SUBMISSION LENGTH AND GENRE: The HBFF is open genre; meaning we accept all forms and genres that would be deemed within a G, PG, PG-13, R, or NC-17 rating by HBFF staff. We do not accept pornographic entertainment. Short form submissions are under forty (40) minutes. Long form (feature length) submissions are forty (40) minutes and over.
3. Submissions WILL NOT be returned.
4. MULTIPLE ENTRIES are allowed.
5. PRODUCER / FILMMAKER / COPYRIGHTS: submitter (filmmaker or producer) will be referred to as producer or submitter. Producer must own all copyrights; must be able to provide model/actor release verification if requested; must be able to provide music, product and other copyright licensing verification if requested. Producer agrees to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film.
6. SUBMISSION DEADLINES: Entrants are expect to enter by the deadline with assets (including screening copy and fees) to be received within 5 business days following the deadline.
7. ENTRY FEES: View the "Call for Entries" to note fees and deadlines. Entry fees are non-refundable. If your entry fee is not received with or prior to your submission, your entry may be deemed disqualified at the discretion of the HBFF.
8. ORIGINATING FORMAT: Film, digital and new media originating formats are accepted for submission.
9. PRESENTATION FORMAT: If accepted into the HBFF, producers must be able to provide a file for digital presentation. Other formats may be permitted.
10. DATE OF COMPLETION: Not specified.
11. PREMIERE/DISTRIBUTION STATUS: We accept submissions that have premiered elsewhere; submissions may have distribution agreements already in place. However, TV, theatrical, video, cable, pay-per-view, other festival, or other distribution outlets that run concurrently or in the same month of the festival may not be eligible for screening. Decisions made at HBFF discretion.
12. LOSS OR DAMAGE: Every precaution will be taken to prevent or loss or damage to materials while in the possession of the festival. However, Producer agrees to release the HBFF from responsibility should any materials be damaged while in transit to or from, or while in the possession of the HBFF.
13. ROUGH CUTS AND INCOMPLETE PROJECTS: Always try to send the best representation of your project. Rough cuts can be entered in contest, but must be completed and received with four weeks of festival start date.
14. HBFF MARKETING: By submitting producer is consenting for use and copying of accepted projects for the purpose of promoting the Huntington Beach Film Festival and future festivals. Producer is giving HBFF permission to use up to three minutes of submission to promote the festival.
15a. HBFF EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: By submitting to the festival, if chosen as an official selection, Producer is hereby granting permission for the HBFF to exhibit Producer's submission in the festival event.
15b. HBFF EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: By submitting, Producer acknowledges that the number of films the festival selects and exhibits may vary from year-to-year based on, but not limited to, total number of entries, quality of entries, final sponsorship revenue, and venue availability. Decisions are final and at the discretion of the HBFF.
15c. HBFF EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: Producer further understands that there is no monetary compensation for entering, exhibiting or being chosen as an official selection to the festival.
16. SCREENERS AND JURY: All screening, selection, and jury decisions are final. Our panel of jurors and our screening committee use a rating system on entries and official selections. They screen many fine films; however, as with all festivals there is limited programming availability. By entering the HBFF and any of its contests, Producers are verifying that you understand entry does not guarantee a screening. Additionally, being chosen as an Official Selection does not guarantee a screening in the theater either. The HBFF may have Official Selections (non-screening) as well as Official Selections (screening). Decisions are final and at the discretion of the HBFF.
17. OFFICIAL SELECTIONS: If chosen as an official selection, the HBFF will request acknowledgment of your acceptance and additional materials. If any of the requested materials are not received by the festival in the time allotted, it is at the discretion of the festival to keep or remove the project as an Official Selection.
18. QUALIFIERS: Entrants must adhere to the category requirements as outlined on the website.
III. SCREENPLAYS (any length)
a. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter this competition.
b. entered script must not be or previously been optioned, sold, or produced by a studio on a large budget. We do accept scripts that have been produced if the writer was involved in making an independent production. Projects in question will be deemed eligible at the discretion of the HBFF.
a. Any genre can be entered.
b. Screenplay must be original work of the author or authors.
c. Multiple authorship is allowed.
d. Multiple entries are allowed, but each entry must be accompanied by their own completed entry form and their own appropriate entry fee. You are allowed to mail them to us in one package.
e. No corrected pages or additional pages will be accepted after the screenplay has been entered. PLEASE be sure you double check your screenplay for errors, blank pages, etc., before mailing them to us.
3. Script Guidelines:
a. Submitted Scripts MUST be in English.
b. Do not send originals as scripts will not be returned.
c. Printed Scripts must be in industry standard format and bound with 2 or 3 brads.
d. Body pages must be correctly numbered.
e. Script title page should clearly provide the title of the screenplay and the FilmFreeway Tracking Number. Writer's name is optional.
f. Must be on white paper.
g. Covers must be card stock.
h. We do accept and prefer .PDF, Microsoft Word and TEXT documents. Electronic submission in one of these formats is required.
i. Script Length: Any
j. Failure to comply with the guidelines, rules, regulations, or eligibility may be cause for disqualification.
IV. GENERAL WAIVER RULES AND GUIDELINES
a. General. By entering this Contest, entrants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. All taxes (including, without limitation, federal, state, and local taxes) on or connected with any prize (including, without limitation, prizes that are opportunities to make donations to a charitable organization), and the reporting consequences thereof, are the sole and exclusive responsibility of respective winners.
b. All prizes awarded, if any are offered, in connection with the Contest are nontransferable and non-endorsable. No substitution of prizes is permitted. Release, Waiver and Indemnification. By entering the contest, entrants release and hold the promoter and host and all other contest entities harmless from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the contest or participation in any contest-related activity or resulting directly or indirectly from acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize awarded in connection with the contest, including without limitation personal injury, death, and/or property damage, as well as claims based on publicity rights, defamation, and/or invasion of privacy. The promoter, the host and contest entities do not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of an entrant's intellectual property rights, if any, respect to any submission or concept, reviews, material, video and/or other materials provided in connection with the contest.
C. By entering the contest, entrants release, waive any claims with regard to, and hold harmless the promoter, the host and the contest entities from and against any and all claims of any kind that are or could be asserted with respect to any matter relating to the contest. Entrants further agree to indemnify, defend and hold the promoter, host and all other contest entities harmless from any and all damages, liabilities, fees and cost incurred in defending against any third party claims or threats of claims asserted against promoter, host and/or other contest entities arising from any entrant's participation in or conduct associated with the contest.
d. Nonperformance of any party shall be excused to the extent that performance is rendered impossible by strike, fire, flood, earthquakes, war, governmental acts or orders or restrictions, or any other reason where failure to perform is beyond the reasonable control, and not caused by the negligence of, the nonperforming party. Governing Law and Waiver of Damages. The Contest and these Official Rules are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California , United States of America , without regards to its principles of conflicts of law. For any dispute not subject to arbitration according to the above, entrant agrees to personal jurisdiction by the federal and state courts located in Orange County, California , United States of America , and waives any jurisdictional, venue, or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
e. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby irrevocably waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than participant's actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with participating in the Contest), and entrant further irrevocably waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
For Complete and Current Rules, please visit http://hbfilmfest.com as it is the expectation that all entrants adhere to the most recent set of rules and terms as posted on our website.