SPECIAL SUBMISSIONS ONLY • Final deadlines have passed. If
you have a deadline waiver or special instructions from the event,
select a Category of Entry to continue.
|A fictional movie of over 60 minutes which tells a story. Not a documentary.
|A fictional movie under 30 minutes which tells a story. Not a documentary.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Big Island Film Festival's mission is to celebrate the narrative filmmaker and narrative films.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Big Island Film Festival takes place on the beautiful Kohala Coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. The Kohala Coast, also known as the Gold Coast, has world class resorts, great beaches and terrific weather. Big Island Film Festival will have two nighttime venues, one daytime venue, parties, receptions, filmmaker symposiums, celebrities and a charity silent auction, all wrapped in a Spirit of Aloha. Selected by MovieMaker Magazine 2009 as one of "25 Coolest Film Festivals", 2007 as one of "Twenty Film Festivals Worth the Entry Fee" and 2010 as one of "25 Film Festivals Worth the Entry Fee".
Jan Sears (Financial)
; Leo Sears (Director-Founder)
1. In order for films to be considered the films must have been completed after January 1, 2013.
2. Only narrative films are eligible. No documentary films will be accepted.
3. The film may have been broadcast or have limited theatrical distribution commercially in the United States prior to the festival.
4. All non-English films must subtitled or dubbed into English.
5. The film must be submitted on NTSC DVD or BluRay .
6. The film must be available for projection in autoplay DVD or BluRay (NYSC) with no separate soundtrack.
7. A "short" shall be a film of under 30 minutes and a "feature" shall be a film 60 minutes or longer.. but not to exceed 120 minutes.
8. The submitting person shall be either a producer, director or authorized agent of the film.
9. By submitting the film, the producer, director or authorized agent affirms that the film has all necessary photo, product and music clearances and Big Island Film Festival, LLC shall be held harmless for any errors or omissions.
10. Multiple submissions must be provided with entry materials as individual submissions. Multiple submissions on compilations on DVD are not accepted.
11. Selection to the festival and selection of Golden Honu Award winners shall be determined by the Big Island Film Festival, LLC and/or it's judges. If selected, unless notifying otherwise, permission is given Big Island Film Festival to exhibit the movie up to two times following the 2014 festival for promotional and/or charity purposes.
12. Other than for Audience Choice Awards, films need not be represented in order to eleigible for Golden Honu Awards. However, those who who win Golden Honu Awards and not in attendance at the Awards Brunch will be held responsible for cost of shipping awards.
13. All materials included on entry form checklist and non-refundable entry fee must be submitted to the festival by entry deadlines.
14. Receipt of material will be acknowledged by email, as will selection for exhibition at the festival. Please make sure contact information is current.
15. No screeners and submission materials will be returned.
16. If selected for the festival the applicant will provide a media kit to the festival no later than April 1, 2014. The media kit will include: 100 words or less biography of producer, screenwriter and director; at least one color production photo; news clippings (if applicable). This media kit should be provided digitally on CD. A film trailer may also be requested for promotional purposes.
17. No airfare or lodging for filmmakers will be provided by the festival, although the festival may assist filmmakers in finding affordable lodging. Normal festival hotel and airfare discounts will be available to filmmakers, as well as all festival participants. Please do not take this as not appreciating filmmakers.
18. Please include a copy of your current Student ID if you are submitting for the Student Entry Fee rate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The owners of the film retain all rights to the project. However, by submitting the film, the agent, producer or director gives the Big Island Film Festival the right to use clips and/or photos in marketing and promoting the film and festival.