SPECIAL SUBMISSIONS ONLY • Final deadlines have passed. If
you have a deadline waiver or special instructions from the event,
select a Category of Entry to continue.
|Narrative Feature Film
|A narrative feature film with a running time greater than 70 minutes.
|A documentary film with a running time greater than 25 minutes.
|A short film with a running time under 25 minutes long.
|Nebraska Short Film
|The film must be filmed by a current Nebraska resident OR shot primarily in Nebraska to qualify for this category. All Nebraska Shorts must have a running time under 25 minutes long, and be a Nebraska premiere.
|Feature Length Screenplay Competition
|Screenplays must be longer than 31 pages and fewer than 130 pages in length.
|Short Length Screenplay Competition
|Screenplays must be fewer than 30 pages in length.
|Animated Short Film
|Any style of an animated short film under 25 minutes in length.
|Nebraska High School Short Film
|This category is only for current high school students in Nebraska. The film must be 1 minute to 25 minutes. The film must have been shot in Nebraska, or the filmmaker must live in Nebraska.
** You must also include which high school you attend in the notes when you submit**
| Teleplay submissions are acceptable for new/original works as well as spec scripts for programs currently airing during this year’s call for entries period.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Omaha Film Festival celebrates the artistic, educational, and historical importance of motion pictures. It gives independent film artists a platform for sharing their work and creating a dialogue with the community. It promotes the discussion and study of filmmaking.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
What sets the OFF apart from other festivals is the overall feeling of inclusion that permeates through the design of the festival experience; from our Midwest hospitality to the care that we take in providing a warm and welcoming environment for our guests, attendees come away with the feeling that they belong here, and that they are a part of something special.
After the film screenings attending filmmakers can do a Q&A. We do have a screenplay competition. During the festival we have a Writer's Theatre in which local actors will publicly read a few pages from the screenplay finalists.
Over the last 13 years, the OFF has made great strides toward becoming one of the most accomplished teaching festivals in the Central United States, offering opportunities for filmmakers, students, and those who value the artistry of film to learn more about the craft of filmmaking through panels, lectures, and workshops taught by seasoned professionals at our annual Filmmakers Conference.
The following are a few people who have been panelists at our conference:
Mauro Fiore, ASC – Academy Award winning Cinematographer (Avatar, The A-Team)
Shane Black – Screenwriter, Director (Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang)
Hawk Ostby - Screenwriter (Cowboys & Aliens, Children of Men, & IronMan)
Tom Elkins – Editor (Wanted)
Neil Krepela, ASC – Special Effects Artist (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Bolt)
Jaime King - Actor (Sin City, Hart of Dixie)
Chris Klein – Actor (Election, American Pie)
Donald Petrie – Director (Mystic Pizza, Grumpy Old Men, Miss Congeniality)
Dana Altman – Director, Producer (Lovely, Still)
Nik Fackler - Screenwriter, Director (Lovely, Still)
Daniel Petrie, Jr – Screenwriter, Director, 2 time president of the WGA (Beverly Hills Cop)
Lew Hunter – Chairman Emeritus of Screenwriting at UCLA and author of Screenwriting 434
Josh Stolberg – Screenwriter, Director (Sorority Row)
Andy Stock – Screenwriter (The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard)
Jon Bokenkamp – Screenwriter (Taking Lives, The Blacklist)
Mike Hill – Academy Award winning Editor (Apollo 13, Frost/Nixon)
Jason Levering (Executive Director); Jeremy Decker; Marc Longbrake (Program Director); Marc Longbrake (Program Director)
- To be eligible the film cannot have a public screening in Nebraska prior to the film festival (with the exception of collegiate screenings and touring Academy screenings).
- Nebraska Short Films: To be eligible for this category you must be a resident of Nebraska or the film has to have been shot primarily in Nebraska.
- For the Nebraska High School Short Film category you must be still in high school on March 2018 to be eligible for this category. You must also include which high school you attend in the notes when you submit.
- Screenplay/Teleplay submissions must not have been produced or optioned. Screenplays that are currently optioned or have negotiations and/or are sold before March 6, 2018 are not eligible for competition. Applicants must notify OFF of any changes in status following submission.
- Scripts that have reached the semifinalist level or above in previous years within the
OFF Screenplay Competition are not eligible for resubmission.
- All entries must be postmarked by the deadline date. All entries must be received by 11/28/17.
- All films that are not in English must have English language subtitles.
- Exhibition prints must be sent to the Omaha Film Festival prepaid, and return requests must include prepaid packaging.
- All Short Films must be no longer than 25 minutes in length.
- Releases for music and talent must be obtained by the filmmaker. The Omaha Film Festival is not liable for copyright infringement or unauthorized use.
- If your film has been selected to be screened at the festival we will request you send a press kit to include: digital stills, posters, postcards, a digital file of the trailer, and other publicity materials to maximize exposure for your film. These materials will not be returned.
- If your film has been selected to be screened at the festival we ask that it not be viewable in its entirety online on sites like YouTube, Vimeo, or Facebook before the festival screening. Trailers or clips from the film are acceptable.
- The Omaha Film Festival does not assume any liability for damage to films, videos, or publicity materials.
- Film must have been completed after October 1, 2016.
- Filmmakers will be notified of festival acceptance by approximately February 7, 2018.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I , the undersigned, acknowledge and agree to the following:
I have read, understood, and agree with the rules and regulations. To the best of my knowledge all statements on this form are true. This film is not subject to any litigation nor is any litigation threatened. I am duly authorized to submit this film to the Omaha Film Festival.
Omaha Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Omaha Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.