DECISIONS ALREADY MADE
• This event has already made decisions and notified
submitters for the current cycle. Submissions are no longer being
|Narrative Shorts must be under 45 minutes in length. They may include any form in any genre. Please see "mixed media" for all commercials, experimental shorts, and music videos.
|Feature length entries shall be 45 minutes in length or longer. Features may include any form in any genre.
|Documentaries on any subject under 45 minutes in length.
|Documentary films on any subject 45 minutes or longer in length.
|Animation entries can be in any genre, format or medium. Entries must be under 30 minutes. Feature-length animated films can be entered as Narrative Features.
|Includes promotional clips for songs or short form narratives which rely heavily on a song or piece of music for their impact.
|Experimental entries can be in any genre, format or medium. Entries must be under 45 minutes.
FLORIDA FILMMAKER QUALIFICATION:
To qualify for the discounted Florida Filmmaker rate, you MUST enclose with your preview copy documentation of the Florida-based locations and resources used in your film. If this material is missing, we may disqualify your entry without notice.
|Hispanic/Latino/Spanish language Film Shorts
|For the 3rd consecutive year Sunscreen is pleased to announce a focus on Latin films, shorts, and documentaries. Florida, is among the largest Latin markets in the US. This years festival will have a dedicated theater and Hispanic/Latino/Spanish language focused events to engage and challenge the local film community which we hope will result in further exposure to Latin films, and an increased awareness of Latin filmmakers.
|Hispanic/Latino/Spanish language Film Features
|For the 3rd year Sunscreen is pleased to announce a focus on Latin films, shorts, and documentaries. Florida is among the largest Latin markets in the US. This year's festival will have a dedicated theater and Hispanic/Latino/Spanish language focused events to engage and challenge the local film community which we hope will result in further exposure to Latin films, and an increased awareness of Latin filmmakers.
|Hispanic/Latino/Spanish language Film Documentaries
|This year Sunscreen is pleased to announce a focus on Latin films, shorts, and documentaries. California is among the largest Latin markets in the US. This year's festival will have a dedicated theater and Hispanic/Latino/Spanish language focused events to engage and challenge the local film community which we hope will result in further exposure to Latin films, and an increased awareness of Latin filmmakers.
|A Web Series is a fiction or non-fiction series of videos, in episodic form, released on the Internet. It is an "Internet TV series". Episodes can be on YouTube, individual websites or hosted in any of a wide variety of Internet locations. This category includes only episodic videos created for the Internet.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Sunscreen Film Festival is dedicated to educating the public about the art of visual storytelling, enhancing opportunities for local filmmakers to develop their craft, and increasing the public's awareness and support of local filmmaking as a cultural and economic asset. We believe great storytelling is the core of effective filmmaking, whether the intent is to motivate or simply to entertain an audience.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
One of only 23 Film Fests in the country to be sponsored by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences starting in April 2013. Named one of the top 25 film festivals by MovieMaker Magazine, the Sunscreen Film Festival challenges expectations by providing filmmaker centered programing, networking opportunities, and intensive workshops. All of which truly make Sunscreen one of the "Coolest Film Festivals" in the U.S.
The Festival recently expanded and now in addition to the main festival in St. Petersburg, FL every spring, Sunscreen holds "Sunscreen West" in Los Angeles, CA every October.
Over the course of four days in May 2014, the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete showcased more than 120 short and feature films, including films of all styles and genres as well as music videos, mixed media, student films, documentaries and feature films from around the world. Exclusive parties, workshops and panels with celebrities and special guests from the film industry provide a warm, educational atmosphere for filmmakers and film enthusiasts alike.
Make no mistake, these are not your typical interactions with filmmakers. Its our mission to only bring in top talent who are willing to interact at a personal level with filmmakers, teaching classes, and answering questions in professional settings.
The 2014 Sunscreen Film Festival received over seven hundred film submissions. The star studded festival has featured such celebrity guests as John Travolta, Kelly Preston, Patrick Warburton (Seinfeld), Joe Morton (Termintaor 2, Scandal), Billy Dee Williams, Ed Asner, Patrick Wilson (The Watchmen, Little Children, Hard Candy), Michael Rooker (Days of Thunder, JFK, Cliffhanger), Bill Cobbs (Night at the Museum), Ethan Suplee (My Name is Earl), Jeff Donovan (Changeling, Burn Notice), Alexa Vega (Spy Kids 1-3), Producers Dave Anderson (The Prince of Egypt), Phil Cooke and Ralph Winter (X-men, Fantastic Four), Chris Wyatt and Sean Covel (Napoleon Dynamite), and Screenwriters Dean Batali (That 70's Show), Stephen DeSouza (Die Hard) and Timothy Sexton (Children of Men) and celebrity judge, Nancy Cartwright (The Simpsons). Return guests such as John N. Flynn and Jamie Fleming (MGM Hollywood Classics) hosted the fourth annual Distribution and Finance Panel. Hosting our largest Actor's Workshop was Patrick Wilson teaching a Master Class.
Filmmakers attending Sunscreen 2015 (our 10th Anniversary) will have access to all festival screenings and workshops, have access to special hospitality areas for filmmakers and industry guests.
Sunscreen presents an overall audience favorite award and juried awards in the following categories:
Best Short Film
Best Student Film
Best Florida Film
Best Feature Film
Best Spanish Language Film
Best Web Series
In 2008, Sunscreen offered our first guaranteed Distribution Prize in conjunction with York Entertainment. Since then Sunscreen has had distribution and acquisitions executives actively looking for films at every festival. We are looking forward to having them back to search for more films in 2014. Dozens of films over the years and four films in 2013 received offers of distribution from sales agents and distributors. Distributor Indican Pictures (Picked up and distributed 4 films from last years festival) and Sales Company Fairway Film Alliance are sponsors of the fest and are looking for films to distribute. Don't miss out on getting your film distributed in 2015!
Don't forget your Sunscreen! Make your plans to join us in St. Petersburg, FL for another spectacular season of films and fun in the sun!
Diana Romero (Programming Director SSFF West)
; J. Tyler Martinolich
; Robert Enriquez (West Coast Fest Director)
; Tony Armer (Director)
1. Productions may be created in any format, but all entries for pre-screening must be on DVD, Blu-Ray disc, or in a digital file readable on Apple OS X.
2. Productions must be entered by the primary rights holder or their authorized representative. If you are acting on the behalf of the rights holder of the film, you may be required to furnish proof of authorization.
3. All entries must be in English, dubbed in English or contain on-screen English subtitles. Non-English entries submitted without dubbing or on-screen English subtitles will be automatically disqualified.
4. When submitting a film for screening on DVD, please provide two copies in case of shipping damage or defective media. We recommend extra padding around and inside Amaray cases, as they tend to crack and shatter in shipment.
5. Entries must be postmarked by the deadline date.
6. Works-in-progress may be accepted for consideration, provided a completed version will be available by April 1, 2013.
7. We do not require, but STRONGLY RECOMMEND providing an "all audiences" trailer for your film in DVD format. This will greatly increase your chances of being included in potential television promotions for the Festival.
8. For each accepted entry, the Sunscreen Film Festival will allocate up to four (4) filmmaker passes to all festival events. A representative of your film must pick up all passes at check-in.
9. Based upon availability, Sunscreen will arrange lodging or discounts at hotels for filmmakers traveling to the Festival. This is dependent on budget and is provided on a first come, first serve basis.
10. The Sunscreen Film Festival makes every effort to exhibit submitted films in the best possible quality. We do not recommend DVD as a mastering or exhibition format due to the amount of video compression required. Please note the availability of any non-tape digital formats (direct exports from non-linear systems, for instance) available for screening. Any technical questions can be directed to email@example.com
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Only complete entries (including entry, payment, and DVD, tape or media file) will be processed and considered for screening.
2. Entrant's name, address, WAB entry number, and the production's title must be on each disc, case or videotape.
3. All entries must be accompanied by the synopsis of the production's content (online on Withoutabox).
4. Entries to be considered for Best Florida Film must be accompanied by documentation of the Florida locations and services used in the film's production.
5. Films promoting or advertising products or services for "for profit" companies (excluding music videos) will not be given consideration.
6. Entrants will be notified of acceptance into the program by or about September 1, 2014. Sunscreen Film Festival does not guarantee notification for entries that are not accepted for the Festival.
7. Entrant stipulates that they control all rights to the submission and that public exhibition is authorized during the 2014 Sunscreen Film Festival if the film is accepted to the Festival.
8. If selected, entrant agrees to provide a copy of the film in an approved format for public exhibition no later than September 15, 2013.
9. Exhibition copies of subtitled films MUST include "burn-in" subtitles. "Player generated" subtitles are not acceptable.
10. If the Entrant wishes to decline acceptance to the Sunscreen Film Festival, it must be provided in writing no later than September 20, 2014.
11. There are no refunds of submission fees.
12. If your film is selected for screening, entrants will be required to immediately supply a press kit for promotional purposes consisting of A) an approved story synopsis of less than 150 words B) at least one photograph of a scene in the film for our Program Guide and C) a brief statement about the film from a key member of the creative team. These materials should be provided digitally, on a CD or DVD with artwork or photos in a minimum resolution of 300 DPI. We do not require but appreciate any additional publicity material that is available (posters, postcards, etc.) and a complete credit list. These materials cannot be returned.
13. Participants agree that all materials related to their film (including excerpts of the film) may be published for any promotional purpose related to the Sunscreen Film Festival, including the Festival Program, Festival Web Site, and any local or national media. Posters and images of the film may be used independently or in combination with images from other films to promote the film and the Sunscreen Film Festival.
14. Productions must be entered by the primary rights holder or their authorized representative. If you are acting on the behalf of the rights holder of the film, you may be required to furnish proof of authorization.
15. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Sunscreen Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.