SPECIAL SUBMISSIONS ONLY • Final deadlines have passed. If
you have a deadline waiver or special instructions from the event,
select a Category of Entry to continue.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Our Mission is to create an honest, uncomplicated, intimate collective experience of independent film through celebration.
The Nickel Independent Film Festival gives Newfoundlanders and Labradoreans the opportunity to see quality films local movie-goers may never have otherwise seen. It also gives independent and emerging filmmakers a chance to premiere their work to enthusiastic audiences.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Nickel Independent Film Festival was conceived in July, 2001 by a group of St. John's filmmakers who wanted to find venues and audiences for their films. The Nickel Festival was named after the Nickel Theatre - the first theatre in Newfoundland to show talking pictures - movies.
The Nickel continues to grow in an effort to support local, Canadian and foreign films of all genres. Screenings sell out, emphasizing the community's support and interest in film.
With a growing amount of film and video submissions from our thriving film community and an impressive number of entries from abroad, The Nickel Independent Film Festival has developed into a necessary annual event.
In addition to screenings of films, the festival also: offers workshops; facilitates question and answer periods with filmmakers; showcases local theatre pieces; and features local music and readings between screenings. A multi-faceted event, The Nickel Independent Film Festival continues to expand and is quickly becoming an invaluable medium for artists of many genres.
Jean Smith (Executive Director)
1. Films/Videos must have been completed after January 1, 2011
2. All non-English language films/videos must have English subtitles. Except those intended for the French language screening.
3. Submissions may not be withdrawn from the festival once the have been entered, except at the sole discretion of the festival.
4. All selected films/videos may be excerpted for publicity purposes. (1 min. max)
5. A separate entry must be submitted with each film/video submitted to the Festival.
6. Label the outside of your package FOR FESTIVAL PREVIEW ONLY - NO COMMERCIAL VALUE. Do not value the contents anymore than $10.00 Canadian.
7. Preview tapes must be labeled with the title, WAB tracking number, running time and contact information. Please DO NOT send master tapes, originals or film prints.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT send screeners in fibre-filled envelopes as the dust can damage the screeners and viewing equipment.
* Films must be available for festival screening on Digital Betacam SP, MiniDV, or DVCAM (all NTSC). We will not pay return postage for other formats sent in error. ie. 35 mm.
All checks payable to : The Nickel Independent Film Festival
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Nickel Independent Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless The Nickel Independent Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.