DE-ACTIVATED SERVICE • Information is current, but online
submission is de-activated at this time. Contact the event directly for more information.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
$15,000 in Cash Prizes. $10,000 1st place feature cash prize. $1500 1st place short cash prize.
The Vail Film Festival Screenplay Competition is a vehicle for aspiring screenwriters to get their script read by established film producers, managers, and agents who are actively working at the top level of the film industry.
The Vail Film Festival Screenplay Competition welcomes unproduced Feature screenplays between 70-120 pages in length, and unproduced Short screenplays between 5-40 pages in length.
"Winning 1st Place at the Vail Screenplay Competition helped us get the film made." - Andrew Kightlinger, 1st place winner, Vail Screenplay Competition
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Vail Film Festival is an internationally recognized film festival, founded in 2004, and has screened over 1500 films and hosted thousands of filmmakers, including A-List producers, directors, writers, and actors. Past VIP guests and honorees include Julie Delpy, Christina Ricci, Olivia Wilde, Jesse Eisenberg, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Smith, Zach Braff, Krysten Ritter, Adrian Grenier, Harold Ramis, Sophia Bush, Luke Wilson, Joe Swanberg, Tim Daly, Jane Seymour, and more. The annual Vail Screenplay Competition offers an opportunity for aspiring screenwriters to have their work read for option consideration by leading film producers, and to receive recognition within the film industry and beyond through a national press release announcing the winning screenplays.
Kate Smith; Megen Musegades (Festival Registrar); Sean Cross (Festival Registrar)
1. You may enter as many scripts as you like, but each must be accompanied by a separate entry and the required entry fee.
2. Entries must be written in English. The screenplay(s) must be original and unproduced at the time of submission. Optioned scripts are acceptable for entry.
3. All scripts must conform to standard screenplay format.
4. Feature Scripts must be between 70-120 pages in length. Short scripts must be between 5 and 40 pages in length. All pages other than the first page should be numbered.
5. Judging is solely on the screenplay. Do not include the following information or materials as they will be disregarded: logline, synopsis, treatment, or any additional materials not specifically requested.
6. Script collaborations are allowed, however, each writer must sign the application form (space is provided on the form), and the work must be the sole and exclusive property of the collaborators.
9. Once a screenplay has been submitted, substitutions of new drafts will not be accepted under any circumstances.
10. Writer(s) retain ALL rights for their entry(ies) when entering our competition.
11. Adaptations are acceptable for entry in our competition only if you have all the appropriate and/or required approvals/waivers/permissions from any and all right holders. If you are unsure, please consult an entertainment attorney for your own protection.
JUDGING & NOTIFICATION.
1.Judging will be anonymous. Upon receipt, your screenplay(s)
will be assigned corresponding numbers, and your screenplay(s) will be identifiable to the judges by number only.
2. Judges' decisions are final. Prizes are non-transferable. Winners are responsible for any taxes.
3. Individuals active in the film and screenwriting community will conduct preliminary judging. A panel of industry experts and screenwriting professionals will conduct the final round of judging. Semifinalists and Finalists will be announced. Three Winners in each genre will be selected to receive prizes.
4. In the event a collaborative screenplay is selected as the First Prize winning entry, the writers must determine who will receive the prizes. Only one First prize package will be awarded.
5. Every entrant will receive an email confirmation upon receipt of his/her script.
6. Semifinalists will be posted on the Vail Film Festival site on or around February 22, 2019. Winners will be notified by email on or around March 15, 2019, and on the web at www.VailFilmFestival.com. An announcement will also be sent out in the Vail Film Festival newsletter. Winners will be included in a national press release. Prizes will be awarded by April 15, 2019.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
All statements in this document are true. I certify that I have cleared all rights for this screenplay. My entry into this competition grants the festival the rights that have been stated in these guidelines. Entry Fees include processing, preliminary and final judging. Entry fees are non-refundable.