CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Just Effing Entertain Me Competition is proud to provide an opportunity for aspiring writers to not only enjoy a memorable experience but to receive the validation and connections necessary to launch a screenwriting career. Our mission is to be a beneficial industry presence for screenwriters; meeting deadlines, obtaining validation and being introduced to industry professionals who could change the direction of your burgeoning screenwriting career forever.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Just Effing Entertain Me Screenwriting Competition offers a grand prize that is custom designed for YOU. We are offering 5 genre prizes: horror/thriller, comedy, drama, sci-fi fantasy, and best leading role for a woman.
The Grand Prize Winner Receives:
*Lunch with Ken Nolan (Black Hawk Down and the upcoming Thunder Run with Gerard Butler)
*One round trip ticket to Los Angeles
*3 nights accommodation
*Minimum 3 industry reads by agents, managers and producers
*A free copy of the newest, hottest screenwriting software, Plot Control
*A signed copy of Change Your Story, Change Your Life by renowned TV Guru, Jen Grisanti
*$1,000 in cash
Go to our website at www.justeffing.com to see what past winners have to say. Go ahead. Give it a try. Then start packing your bags for Hollywood.
Past guests of honor have included: Steve Faber (Wedding Crashers), Josh Zetumer (Dune), Jeff Bushell (Badly Drawn; Beverly Hills Chihuahua) David Arata (Children of Men) and Shane Black (Lethal Weapon) Stephen Sucso (the Grudge) Dan McGrath (The Simpsons) Chris Sparling (Buried)
Julie Gray (Director)
; Julie Gray (Director)
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
Be written in English
be an original feature script
be minimum 90 pages and maximum of 120 pages in length
Have numbered pages
Be in standard format
Any genre is accepted.
Multiple submissions are accepted as long as each is accompanied with an application and the entry fee.
Only one copy, draft or version of any single screenplay may be submitted by any entrant or entrants.
Rewrites or new drafts MAY be submitted but will be considered a new entry and regular entry fees apply.
Collaborative work undertaken by two writers is eligible. Collaborative work by three or more writers is not eligible. All prizes will be split 50-50 by collaborators.
Entering the competition constitutes permission to use finalists’ names and likeness for publicity and promotions with no additional compensation. We reserve the right to publicize and promote any and all progress, development and success of the entered scripts.
Partners, affiliated members and employees of Just Effing Entertain Me and their immediate families are ineligible, as are competition judges and their immediate families.
No applicant may have earned money or other consideration as a screenwriter for theatrical films or television, or for the sale of, or sale of an option to, any original story, treatment, screenplay or teleplay for more than $8,000. Applicants may not have received a screenwriting fellowship or prize which includes a “first look” clause, an option or any other quid pro quo involving the writer’s work. The date for the purposes of this clause shall be the announcement of the Grand Prize Winner.
Adaptations of previously written work are not acceptable. The only exception is when the writer has adapted his/her own unpublished work. Material adapted from a previously published source to which the author has secured the rights, such as a novel, short story, or play, is ineligible.
The judges’ decisions are final. The Just Effing Entertain Me Competition reserves the right to substitute prizes for other prizes of equal monetary value.
If the Grand Prize winner resides in Los Angeles or reasonable surrounds (within 75 miles) accommodation is not provided and cash equivalent is not substituted.
Scripts may be disqualified for not adhering to the rules and requirements. No refund will be issued for disqualified scripts.
In an effort to make a contribution toward a better environment, The Just Effing Entertain Me Competition is a paperless contest. We only accept scripts and payments electronically. Do not mail scripts or payments.
All monetary prizes will be paid in US dollars. The domestic airfare portion of the travel to Los Angeles for the Grand Prize winner is limited to $500 and will only be awarded if the winner lives more than 200 miles outside Los Angeles. International airfare has a $750 limit. The Grand Prize winner must work within the schedule and time constraints of the special guests and managers donating their time.
All participants will be automatically registered for The Just Effing Entertain Me Newsletter. Clear instructions on how to unsubscribe are available for those who prefer not to receive it.
All questions regarding judging processes or results should be directed to storieswb at gmail dot com.
Results of the competition will be posted at www.justeffing.com.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By submitting script(s) ("Material") to the Just Effing Entertain Me Competition (JFEME), Writer(s) agree to and understand the following conditions:
1. Because of JFEME's position in the entertainment industry: (a) JFEME receives many ideas, formats, stories, suggestions and other materials which JFEME does not solicit or otherwise request; (b) JFEME would not accept this Material, consider or review the material without Writer(s) agreeing to these terms and conditions; and (c) no confidential relationship is established by my submitting the Material to JFEME.
2. JFEME will not be held responsible if the Material is accidentally lost, misplaced, damaged or destroyed, in whole or in part.
3. Writer(s) is/are not waiving, and this Agreement will not limit, Writer(s)' copyright in the Material. Writer understands that JFEME may use in any fashion: (a) any matter which is independently developed by JFEME or JFEME's employees or associates or which is otherwise made available to JFEME and which contains elements or aspects which are similar to literary property contained in the material and/or (b) any elements or aspects of or (c) matter contained in the Material which is not original with Writer(s), new, unique, concrete and novel and/or which is in the public domain. Writer(s) will not sue JFEME or its sponsors or bring any action or proceeding against JFEME or its sponsors if JFEME or its sponsors use any such matter, not for JFEME's failure to compensate Writer(s) for JFEME's use of the Material if JFEME has not agreed in writing to do so, and JFEME or its sponsors are entitled to an injunction or other equitable remedy if such a suit, action or proceeding is brought.
5. Writer(s) represent(s) and warrant that: (a) Writer(s) has/have full right to submit the Material to JFEME and to comply with the Agreement; and (b) Writer(s) will fully reimburse JFEME if JFEME incurs any losses, damages or expenses (including, without limitation, lawyers' fees and expenses) because any or all of these statements in this agreement are not true, or because any person, firm or corporation claims that any or all of those statements are not true, or as a result of your having or using the Material.
6. If more than one writer enters this contest, this Agreement as the submitting party, then references to Writer, Writers or Writer(s) throughout this Agreement shall apply to each such party, jointly and severally.
7. I have read and understand this Agreement and the Rules of the contest. JFEME has made no representations, oral or written, of any kind to me. This Agreement and the Rules of the JFEME states our entire agreement.
8. This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of California applicable to agreements made and to be performed wholly therein. The courts located in Los Angeles, California (federal or state, as applicable) shall have exclusive jurisdiction over all disputes arising hereunder.
9. I acknowledge that as a submitter, I will automatically be registered for the Just Effing Entertain Me Newsletter. (Clear instructions on how to unsubscribe are available or those who prefer not to receive it. )