CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
|Ten Minute Clips of Unfinished, Feature-Length Documentary Works-In-Progress
|The PaleyDocFest Pitch Contest, now in its tenth year, offers a $5,000 grant for an unfinished or work-in-progress documentary from an emerging filmmaker.
The Paley Center for Media is using this contest to choose five finalists who will pitch their unfinished films to panel of experts and producers in front of an audience. This event, the PaleyDocFest Pitch Workshop, will take place on Sat., November 16 in New York during the Paley Center's 13th annual Documentary Festival.
To qualify for the contest, you must be an emerging filmmaker with two or less credits for directing a feature-length documentary, whether released or unreleased, and a U.S. citizen or legal resident. You must be able to travel to New York City AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE for our November 16, 2013 pitch workshop.
To enter, you must submit no more than ten minutes of footage from an UNFINISHED or WORK-IN-PROGRESS feature-length documentary that you hope to pitch to our panel.
We will judge entries based on the originality of your vision and the viability of the concept. At the pitch workshop, finalists will be judged by originality, viability and the persuasiveness of their pitch to our panel.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
How do you sell a documentary? In this workshop and competition, five emerging nonfiction filmmakers will pitch their ideas to a panel of distinguished documentary producers and executives. These judges will give them feedback on their concept as well as their presentation skills, and choose the winner of a $5,000 grant to be used toward the completion of the pitched film.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Art of the Documentary Pitch Workshop is a highly popular workshop in which five emerging filmmakers compete for a $5,000 prize. During the workshop, a panel of television executives and producers discuss the process of developing a documentary and hear and evaluate pitches from five pre-selected filmmakers who are hoping to sell either a nonfiction concept or a documentary work-in-progress.
The Paley Center's annual documentary festival was inaugurated in 2000 with the mission of bringing exemplary documentaries and works of nonfiction to the public.
The Paley Center for Media, with locations in New York and Los Angeles, leads the discussion about the cultural, creative, and social significance of television, radio, and emerging platforms for the professional community and media-interested public.
Drawing upon its curatorial expertise, an international collection, and close relationships with the leaders of the media community, the Paley Center examines the intersections between media and society. The general public can access the collection and participate in programs that explore and celebrate the creativity, the innovations, the personalities, and the leaders who are shaping media.
Previously known as The Museum of Television & Radio, the Paley Center was founded in 1975 by William S. Paley, a pioneering innovator in the industry. For more information, please visit www.paleycenter.org.
2012: Eleven, directed by Laura Paglin and Kahlil Pedizisai
2011: The View From Bellas Luces, directed by Christa Boarini
2010: Charge by Mike Plunkett
2009: From Texas to Tehran directed by Til Schauder
2008: Circo directed by Aaron Schock
2007: The House that Herman Built directed by Angad Bhalla
2006: Whatever it Takes directed by Christopher Wong
2005: Asparagus! (A Stalk-umentary) directed by Anne de Mare and Kirsten Kelly
; James Sheridan
; Richard Burst-Lazarus (Festival Registrar)
The Paley Center for Media pitch workshop contest (the “Contest”) is operated by The Paley Center for Media (the “Paley Center”), 25 West 52 Street, New York, NY 10019. The Contest begins on August 1, 2013, at 12:01:00 a.m. Eastern Time (ET), and ends on October 9, 2013, at 11:59:59 p.m. (ET) (such period, the “Contest Period”).
BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY TO THE CONTEST, ENTRANT (A) FULLY AND UNCONDITIONALLY AGREES TO ACCEPT AND BE BOUND BY THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND BY ALL DECISIONS OF THE PALEY CENTER, SPONSOR, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE DESIGNEE(S) (WHICH DECISIONS SHALL BE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL RESPECTS), INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DECISIONS REGARDING ELIGIBILITY, SELECTION OF FINALISTS AND THE WINNER, AND THE INTERPRETATION OF TERMS USED IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND IN THE ENTRY FORM & SUBMISSION AGREEMENT, AND (B) REPRESENTS AND WARRANTS THAT ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED BY ENTRANT IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST IS TRUE, ACCURATE, AND COMPLETE.
1. ELIGIBILITY. AN ENTRY FEE IS REQUIRED TO ENTER. VOID OUTSIDE OF THE ELIGIBILITY AREA (DEFINED BELOW) AND WHERE OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Participation in this Contest is open to any current legal resident of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia or U.S. citizen living abroad, (excluding every national, state, local, or other jurisdiction in which it is prohibited or restricted by any law, statute, regulation, or other appropriate authority, and in particular Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S. territories and U.S. military installations located in a foreign country), who is eighteen (18) years of age or older and has no more than two (2) directing credits for completed documentary feature films, whether released or unreleased (hereafter “Participant”). Sponsor’s and the Paley Center's employees, consultants, representatives and agents of Sponsor and its advertising and promotional agencies, and the immediate family members of and persons domiciled with any such employees and agents, and any judges or other parties involved in any aspect with the creation, production, operation, execution and fulfillment of the Contest, and the immediate families or household members of each are not eligible to participate. Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, partners, prize providers, officers, employees, and subcontractors do not warrant that this Contest may be entered legally in any particular jurisdiction. The Paley Center is the final arbiter of all decisions regarding Participants’ eligibility for the Contest.
2. HOW TO ENTER.
a. ENTRY. To enter the Contest:
(1) Review these rules and the Terms and Conditions to entry.
(2) Electronically sign your entry. Submit entry fee.
(3) Send a DVD with no more than ten (10) minutes of material from the entrant’s film along with all other required submission materials described in these rules, by first class United States mail (postage prepaid) or nationally recognized courier to:
c/o The Paley Center for Media, 9th Floor
25 West 52nd Street, New York, NY 10019
All materials must be submitted to the Paley Center in the same envelope or package.
b. SUBMISSION MATERIALS. Submission Materials (as defined below), with the exception of any materials requested solely from Finalists, must be received by the Paley Center by the end of the Contest Period in order to be eligible for the Contest. Submission Materials must include a DVD with no more than ten (10) minutes of material from the participant’s film. Submission Materials (with the exception of any materials requested solely from Finalists) received in whole or in part after the end of the Contest Period, or that are (including any materials requested solely from Finalists) incomplete, illegible, corrupted, or damaged, will be discarded and deemed to be VOID. Each entrant who is selected as a Finalist in accordance with Section 3(a) below will also be required to provide the Paley Center, at his or her own expense, with a “screener” clip of not more than five (5) minutes in length from the documentary that is the subject of the selected entry, in a format specified by the Paley Center at the appropriate time. Entrants may also be asked to submit additional written materials in order to be deemed eligible for the Contest (such “screener” clip, the entrant’s original DVD, any additional written materials requested, and an entrant’s Entry Form & Submission Agreement shall be referred to collectively as the entrant’s “Submission Materials”).
c. ENTRY GUIDELINES AND RESTRICTIONS. An individual may enter the Contest more than one time, provided that (i) such individual must complete a separate Entry Form & Submission Agreement and submit a separate set of Submission Materials for each entry submitted; (ii) the same project (i.e., the same documentary or materials) may not be the subject of multiple entries into the Contest; (iii) only one (1) entry per entrant may advance to the final round of the Contest and (iv) such individual also submits an additional fee for each additional Contest entry. Any Submission Materials that are submitted in violation of these Official Rules will be disqualified and deemed to be VOID. No changes to any Submission Materials will be permitted once such Submission Materials have been submitted. By entering the Contest, entrant agrees that his/her Submission Materials shall not be deemed to be his/her confidential or proprietary information. The tangible embodiments of all Submission Materials shall become the property of the Paley Center, and no Submission Materials will be acknowledged or returned.
3. FINALISTS, WINNER, AND PRIZE.
a. SELECTING FINALISTS AND THE WINNER. The Paley Center will select five (5) entrants from the pool of all eligible entrants (such five (5) entrants, the “Finalists”) based on the criteria of persuasiveness of the pitch, originality of the vision, and viability of the project (the “Criteria”), to make pitches to a panel of judges (the “Panel”) at a Pitch Workshop to take place on November 16, 2013, at The Paley Center for Media, 25 West 52nd Street, New York, NY 10019 (the “Pitch”). Finalists will be notified by phone or by email at the email address provided in the Entry Form & Submission Agreement that they have been selected to participate in the Pitch. To be eligible to participate in the Pitch, any entrant selected as a Finalist must notify the Paley Center either by phone or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 25, 2013, that he/she is able to attend the Pitch. Entries and Submission Materials of any Finalist who (i) notifies the Paley Center that he/she will be unable to attend the Pitch, (ii) fails to notify the Paley Center by the foregoing date that he/she will be able to attend the Pitch, or (iii) fails to attend the Pitch, shall be deemed disqualified and deemed to be VOID. If any Finalist is unable to attend the Pitch, the Paley Center has the right, but not the obligation, to select an alternate Finalist to attend the Pitch from among the remaining pool of eligible entrants. If an alternate Finalist is selected by the Paley Center, such alternate Finalist will be notified by email at the email address provided in the Entry Form & Submission Agreement that he or she has been selected to participate in the Pitch, and will be required to notify the Paley Center by email at email@example.com that he or she will be able to attend the Pitch. At the Pitch, each Finalist will be required to “pitch” the project idea described in his/her Submission Materials before a public audience, which pitch will comprise (i) a verbal presentation of no longer than five (5) minutes delivered by the entrant, and (ii) a visual presentation, comprising a clip of no longer than five (5) minutes from the Finalist’s documentary. The entire presentation of each Finalist may not exceed ten (10) minutes, excluding responses to panel questions. The panel will critique both the presentation and the concept of each Finalist’s pitch before the public audience. At the conclusion of the Pitch, and based on the Criteria, the Panel will select one (1) Finalist as the winner of the Contest (the “Winner”). All judgments and decisions of the Panel shall be final and binding.
b. PRIZE. The Winner will be awarded a five thousand dollar (US $5,000.00) grant by Sponsor (the “Prize”), which Winner may use solely toward the completion of the documentary pitched by Winner to the Panel at the Pitch. Only one (1) Prize will be awarded. As between Sponsor and the Paley Center, Sponsor shall be solely responsible for the distribution of the Prize to the Winner. The Winner may be required to sign additional agreements with, and provide additional information to, Sponsor or the Paley Center prior to receiving the Prize. The Winner agrees to acknowledge the Paley Center in the closing credits of his/her finished film or any other finished work comprising or based on the documentary represented in the Submission Materials and presented during the Contest, in the manner directed by the Paley Center. The Prize is nontransferable and nonrefundable. All taxes (including, without limitation, federal, state, and local taxes) on or in connection with the Prize, and the reporting consequences thereof, are the sole and exclusive responsibility of Winner. No substitution of the Prize will be permitted.
4. DISQUALIFICATION/INELIGIBILITY. Without limiting any other provision of these Official Rules, the Paley Center reserves the right, at any time and in its sole discretion, to disqualify and/or deem ineligible to participate in the Contest any individual or team it suspects: to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; to be in violation of these Official Rules or the Entry Form & Submission Agreement; to have failed to complete or submit any required or requested Submission Materials; to be acting in bad faith, or in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner; or to be annoying, abusing, threatening, or harassing any other person in connection with the Contest (each such activity, a “Prohibited Activity”). Furthermore, the Paley Center reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to disregard and/or deem VOID any or all of such entrant’s Submission Materials. ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE, TAMPER WITH, OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES AS WELL AS APPLICABLE LAWS. SHOULD THE PALEY CENTER BELIEVE OR BECOME AWARE THAT SUCH AN ATTEMPT HAS BEEN, IS BEING, OR WILL BE MADE, THE PALEY CENTER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DISQUALIFY ANY ENTRANT(S) THAT THE PALEY CENTER DEEMS TO BE INVOLVED THEREIN, AND TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES FROM ANY RESPONSIBLE ENTRANT(S) AND OTHER RESPONSIBLE PARTIES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
5. RELEASE AND INDEMNIFICATION. BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, ENTRANT (A) RELEASES AND HOLDS THE PALEY CENTER, THE SPONSOR, AND THE PANEL, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES, AND AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “CONTEST ENTITIES”) HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL LOSSES, DAMAGES, RIGHTS, CLAIMS, AND ACTIONS OF ANY KIND ARISING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THE CONTEST OR PARTICIPATION IN THE PITCH OR ANY OTHER CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY, OR RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE, OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, AND/OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, AS WELL AS CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION, AND/OR INVASION OF PRIVACY AND (B) INDEMNIFIES AND HOLDS HARMLESS THE CONTEST ENTITIES FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LOSS, OR LIABILITY OF ANY KIND THAT MAY BE ASSERTED AGAINST OR INCURRED BY CONTEST ENTITIES AT ANY TIME IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION MATERIALS OR OTHERWISE ARISING FROM, OR RELATING TO, ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST.
6. DISCLAIMERS; LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. The Contest Entities make no warranties, and hereby disclaim any and all warranties, express or implied, concerning the Contest, the Prize, or any other information, materials, or prizes furnished or made available in connection with the Contest. No responsibility is assumed by the Contest Entities for lost, late, incomplete, stolen, misdirected, mutilated, postage-due, illegible, unreadable, inaccurate, incorrect, inaccessible, corrupted, or unusable entries or Submission Materials. Although the Paley Center attempts to ensure the integrity of the Contest, Contest Entities are not responsible for the actions of entrants or other individuals in connection with the Contest, including entrants’ or other individuals’ attempts to circumvent the Official Rules or otherwise interfere with the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned due to causes which, in the sole opinion of the Paley Center, could corrupt, compromise, undermine, or otherwise affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, viability, or proper conduct of the Contest, the Paley Center reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to modify these Official Rules and/or to cancel, terminate, reschedule, modify, or suspend all or any part of the Contest (including, without limitation, the Pitch). IN NO EVENT WILL THE CONTEST ENTITIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF THE CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THE CONTEST, THE PRIZE, AND ALL MATERIALS PROVIDED CONCERNING THE CONTEST ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
a. GOVERNING LAW. The Contest, the Entry Form & Submission Agreement, and these Official Rules are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, United States of America, without regards to its principles of conflicts of law. Entrant agrees to personal jurisdiction by the federal and state courts located in the County of New York in the State of New York, United States of America with respect to any dispute arising out of or in connection with the Entry Form & Submission Agreement, these Official Rules, or the Contest, and waives any jurisdictional, venue, or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
b. WINNER INFORMATION. For information concerning the Winner (available after November 16, 2013), please check the Paley Center website at http://www.paleycenter.org.
c. INTERPRETATION. In the event of any conflict between any information provided on the Paley Center’s web site or in the Overview, on the one hand, and the Entry Form & Submission Agreement and these Official Rules, on the other, the Entry Form & Submission Agreement and these Official Rules shall govern.
These Official Rules ©2013 The Paley Center for Media. All rights reserved.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
NOTE: Defined terms used but not defined herein shall have the respective meanings set forth in the Official Rules for the Pitch Workshop (the “Official Rules”), attached hereto and hereby incorporated herein by this reference.
As the sole owner and author of the submitted material(s), I fully attest that the following is true and correct:
A ) I have read, understand, and agree fully to the Pitch Workshop Overview and to the Official Rules, and hereby request that the Paley Center review and evaluate the Submission Materials submitted herewith. I am eligible to enter the Pitch Workshop. I have no more than two (2) directing credits for feature documentary films, whether released or unreleased. I am the sole owner and author of the Submission Materials (or I have the exclusive right and authority to submit the Submission Materials to the Paley Center under the terms and conditions herein). The Submission Materials, and the use thereof by the Contest Entities as permitted hereunder, do not infringe, misappropriate, or violate any intellectual property or other rights of any person, firm or entity, and do not and will not violate any applicable laws. The Paley Center recognizes that sometimes copyrighted material, such as music, is used in pitch reels not intended for public consumption. Where this is the case, I agree to make clear when I have used copyrighted material.
B) In consideration of the Paley Center’s reviewing the Submission Materials for the purpose of evaluating the Submission Materials for possible inclusion in the Pitch Workshop and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, I hereby grant to the Paley Center a nonexclusive, perpetual license (a) to use, reproduce, publish, perform, display the Submission Materials, on a stand-alone basis or in connection with other materials, films, products or services, in connection with the Pitch Workshop and the Paley Center’s PaleyDocFest2013 and in connection with activities consistent with the Paley Center’s statement of purpose and procedures, and (b) to use my name, likeness, photograph, voice, sound, and/or biographical information in connection with any and all publicity and promotional activities with respect to the Pitch Workshop and the Paley Center’s PaleyDocFest2013.
C ) I am solely responsible for obtaining from all applicable individuals or entities, any and all required rights, releases, consents, clearances, licenses, and other authorizations (collectively, the “Clearances”) necessary to submit the Submission Materials to the Pitch Workshop and to otherwise exploit the Submission Materials as contemplated herein, and the Contest Entities will not be responsible for the payment of any residual, reuse or like fees in connection with the exploitation of the Submission Materials (or materials or rights derived there from or ancillary thereto) as contemplated herein. I hereby indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Entities from any and all claims, loss, or liability of any kind that may be asserted against or incurred by Contest Entities at any time in connection with the Submission Materials or otherwise arising from my entry or participation in the Pitch Workshop.
D) I have retained at least two (2) copies of the Submission Materials, and I hereby release the Contest Entities from any and all liability for loss of, or damage to, the copy of the Submission Materials submitted to the Paley Center in connection herewith. I understand that such copy of the Submission Materials shall be the property of the Paley Center and will not be returned.
E) Should I be chosen as a Finalist, I agree to appear in person, at my own expense, at The Paley Center for Media at the address referenced below on November 16, 2013 at the time designated by the Paley Center. Should I for any reason be unable to so appear, I will notify the Paley Center in writing no later than October 25, 2013.
F) Should I be chosen as a Finalist, I agree to provide the Paley Center, at my own expense, with a “screener” clip of not more than five (5) minutes in length from the documentary that is the subject of the selected entry to the Pitch Workshop, in a format specified by the Paley Center at the appropriate time. I understand that the copy of the “screener” clip provided to the Paley Center will be the property of the Paley Center and will not be returned.
G ) Should I be selected as the Winner of the Pitch Workshop, I am authorized and empowered by all persons involved with the creation of the Submission Materials to receive the prize described in the Official Rules. I understand that such prize will be distributed solely and exclusively by the sponsor of the competition and that the Paley Center is in no way responsible for the distribution of such prize. I understand that the sponsor may require me to sign additional agreement(s) prior to, or upon, receiving such prize, and that such prize may only be used for the completion of the documentary represented in the Submission Materials and presented during the Pitch Workshop.
H) Should I be selected as the Winner of the Pitch Workshop competition, I agree to acknowledge the Paley Center in the closing credits of my finished film or any other finished work comprising or based on the documentary represented in the Submission Materials and presented during the Pitch Workshop, and to furnish the Paley Center with a copy of the completed documentary for the Paley Center’s archive.
I) The relationship between me, as an entrant to the Pitch Workshop, and the Contest Entities, is not an express or implied confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship, and my providing the Submission Materials to the Contest Entities for purposes of the Pitch Workshop does not place the Contest Entities in a different position than a member of the general public with regard to elements of the Submission Materials that are not legally protectable. I understand and acknowledge that the Contest Entities, through the Contest, and otherwise, have wide access to ideas, stories, concepts and other materials, and that many ideas or concepts are similar or may relate to similar underlying themes. I further agree that the Contest Entities do not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, with respect to the protection of the copyright in the Submission Materials.