OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES • Select a Category of Entry to continue.
|Narrative Dramatic Feature Films
|Any narrative film with a running time of 45 minutes or longer and a dramatic narrative focus is eligible to submit in this category.
|Narrative Comedic Feature Films
|Any narrative film with a running time of 45 minutes or longer and a comedic focus is eligible to submit in this category.
|Horror / Sci-Fi / Genre Feature Films
|Category for all narrative film with a running time of 45 minutes or longer, and a Horror, Adventure, or Science-Fiction focus.
|Documentary Feature Films
|Any documentary film with a running time 45 minutes or longer.
|Animated Feature Films
|Any animated film with a running time of 45 minutes or longer is eligible to submit in this category.
|Best Student Filmmakers
|Any film made by film students in High School or College. Films must not have major U.S. distribution and should have been made for less then 1 million dollars in production costs.
|Experimental / Non-Narrative Films
|Any experimental / non-narrative film.
|PEOPLE'S CHOICE - Best Picture
|Feature length films entered in general festival competition, that are additionally eligible for additional screening with People's Choice Awards, chosen by public viewing audience.
|PEOPLE'S CHOICE - Best Director
|Any film that was requested by the filmmaker to be allowed to be voted on at pre-screenings and then chosen as winner by democratic votes from the press and public.
|Short Dramatic Films
|Any narrative film with a running time under 45 minutes can apply to be judged for potential inclusion in this category.
|Short Comedic Films
|Any comedic narrative film with a running time of under 45 minutes can apply to this category.
|Short Documentary Films
|Any documentary film with a running time under 45 minutes can apply to this category.
|Short Horror / Genre / Sci-Fi FIlms
|Any Horror, Science-Fiction, or other genre based films with a running time under 45 minutes can apply to this category.
|Short Animated Films
|Any animated film with a running time under 45 minutes can apply to this category.
|Music Video Competition
|Music Video Competition open to music videos (and films under 5 minutes in length).
|Gay and Lesbian Films
|Films of any length dealing with LBGT themes.
|Teleplay, Pilots, Short, Features
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL
HRIFF showcases the best new cinema discoveries side-by-side with Hollywood premieres; hosting events to create distribution and media opportunities for films by independent creators operating outside the studios.
Created at Quentin Tarantino's New Beverly Cinema, HRIFF is proud to be hosted by LA LIVE / Staples Center; the biggest film screening venue in Los Angeles (the Times Square of L.A.); and at cinemas across Hollywood, California.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Alongside HRIFF's annual extensive selection of new film discoveries, recent Academy Award© Winners also premiering at HRIFF include: "The Lady In Number 6" documentary, the animated "Mr. Hublot", the works of multiple-Oscar©-nominee Bill Plympton, and our Oscar© nominated HRIFF Best Picture Winners that include: "The Act of Killing" (2014) and "Force Majeure" (2015).
HRIFF is the best festival for meeting stars with HRIFF guests including: Hilary Duff (Gossip Girl), Joe Mantegna (The Godfather, Criminal Minds), Laura Prepon (How I Met Your Mother, Orange Is The New Black), Grace Zabriskie (Twin Peaks, Big Love), Dominique Swain (Lolita, Face Off), Gary Cole (Pineapple Express, Office Space), Jon Polito (The Big Lebowski), Frances Fisher (Titanic), John Robinson (Lords of Dogtown), Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, (Designing Women), Kurt Fuller (Midnight In Paris), John Heard (Home Alone, X-Men), Anthony Geary (General Hospital), Danny Masterson (That 70's Show), and Dominic Purcell (Prison Break).
More HRIFF guests include: Keith Carradine (Dexter), Lloyd Kaufman (Troma), Haylie Duff (Napoleon Dynamite), Duane Peters (Die Hunns), P.J. Harvey, Lee Meriwether (Batman, All My Children), Dee Wallace (E.T.), Danny Strong (Mad Men), Rick Shapiro (The League, Maron), Michael Pare (Virgin Suicides), Mackenzie Philips (One Day At A Time), Christopher Masterson (The Middle), Michael Bowen (Kill Bill), Steven Bauer (Breaking Bad), Richard Hatch (Battlestar Galactica), Uwe Boll (Postal) and Alan Howarth (Halloween).
HRIFF Award of Excellence honorees have included: Gerard Depardieu, Alejandro Jodoworsky, Peter O'Toole, Vanessa Redgrave, Tinto Brass, Robin Williams, Hugo Niebeling and Don Hertzfeldt.
HRIFF screens cinema from Ron Howard, Werner Herzog, Michael Apted, Errol Morris, Bryce Dallas Howard, Paul Rudd, Lisa Kudrow, Jason Alexander, Elliott Gould, Klaus Kinski, Terri Polo, Janeane Garofalo, Zack Braff, Winnie Holzman, Martin Starr, Fred Willard, Andy Dick, Mischa Barton, Pamela Adlon, Tony Hale, Richard Lewis, Colm Meaney, Perrey Reeves, Doug Jones, Franco Nero, David Arquette, Carla Gallo, Paul Donovan, Bai Ling, C. Thomas Howell, Daryl Hannah, Tom Noonan, Danny Hoch, Jeremy Sisto, Jonathan Pryce alongside the best in new filmmaking.
HRIFF talent discoveries include: Alanna Masterson (HRIFF 2010 Best Actress Winner now starring in The Walking Dead), Steve Hicks, Sean Brosnan, Alex Meraz (Twilight), Keir Gilchrist (United States of Tara), Dean West (The Ledge), Tyler Blackburn (Pretty Little Liars), and Toby Hemingway (Black Swan).
HRIFF discoveries to receive acclaim and wide distribution include: "Bridegroom", "The Act of Killing", "Force Majeure", "Drift", "A Day At The Pool", "Mr. Hublot", "The Lady In Number 6", "Assault on Wall Street: Bailout", "City of Gardens", "7 Years Underground", "Sex, Violence and Family Values", "Forget Me Not", "Henri", "Bible Storyland" and "The Silent Thief".
HRIFF invites Withoutabox users to submit to what we believe is the best curated, most democratic film festival in the world, with every submission given legitimate consideration for selection, based on quality, without regard for budget size or studio affiliations.
Join the HRIFF family today!
FILM SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Preview Screeners:
Must be sent by DVD or WAB Official Secure Online Screener ONLY.
- Exhibition Copies:
DVD+/DVD- (NTSC, Region 0 or 1) are the preferred Exhibition format for films selected to screen at HRIFF.
- Blu-Ray (Region 0 or 1) also accepted for Exhibition, but DVD (non-watermarked, matching chapters and aspect ratio) DVD back-up is mandatory. No exceptions.
- 35mm film is acceptable for our Best Picture winner and may be available as a presentation format for other accepted films.
- WAB Secure Online Screeners are only for Preview Screener submissions. Once accepted for presentation, a physical Exhibition Copy is necessary.
- DCP may be acceptable presentation format for Accepted Film Exhibition Print Format, depending on screening venue. DCP's will be requested by festival, DO NOT SEND unless requested.
- Accepted Film Exhibition Copy DCP return messenger costs are responsibility of submitter / DCP return pick up window may only be 1 or 2 days at end of festival.
- No menu screens for Exhibition Copies.
- All DVD's (or DVD case) must be marked with
1. Name Of Film
2. Directors Name
3. Running Time
4. Aspect Ratio
5. WAB Tracking Number
Accepted submitters are notified via WAB and email.
Films not accepted will be notified via Withoutabox.
Check your WAB account around the approximate notification deadline.
Deadlines are POSTMARK DEADLINES.
- HRIFF is not responsible for postal damages or delays.
- Do Not send mail to be signed for (except for 35mm prints).
- Please do not send cash or any payments in the mail.
- All discs, postcards, & posters sent WILL NOT be returned.
- Send submissions in a standard flat rate envelope or smaller to reduce waste.
FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Submitter must be 18 years of age or older (or have guardian to submit on your behalf) to enter the competition.
- In submitting to HRIFF, submitter is: a) admitting copyright of film and images and b) granting permission to use the images and content from the submission in advertisements and promotions both for any screening of the ACCEPTED submitted film, but also in any promotions for HRIFF in general for the 36 months following first receipt of the submission of ACCEPTED films.
- Festival times may be subject to delay or change.
- All fees are non-refundable.
- HRIFF is not responsible for broken or non-functioning films.
- In submitting, you grant HRIFF the right to screen your submission at no charge to the festival (for the duration of the current festival season submitted for).
- HRIFF reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. Any person behaving disrespectfully to any festival or theater staff may be refused service and may be pulled from competition.
- Films do not have to be screened publicly to be eligible for our festival, prizes, or awards. Please let us know in writing if a film cannot be screened publicly.
- All films submitted for review are consenting permission to have HRIFF publicly screen the film submitted (at least) one time in 24 months after selection notification.
- Not all submissions received are selected for HRIFF.
- By submitting via Withoutabox, you are agreeing to these Rules as well as the HRIFF Terms and Conditions below.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
General Terms and Conditions for HRIFF and HRIFF WEBSITE.
If any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck and the remaining provisions shall be enforced. You agree that this Agreement may be automatically assigned by HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL (HRIFF), in its sole discretion, to a third party. Section headings are for reference purposes only and in no way define, limit, construe or describe the scope or extent of such section. Our failure to act with respect to a breach by you or others does not waive our right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches.
This Agreement, along with any other terms and conditions listed by HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL, sets forth the entire understanding and agreement between us with respect to the subject matter hereof. The provisions of this Agreement and any ancillary terms and conditions will survive termination or expiration to the extent necessary to carry out the intentions of the parties.
Governing Law. You acknowledge and agree that this Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of California, excluding conflict of laws provisions thereof that would indicate the application of the laws of any other jurisdiction and you hereby submit to exclusive jurisdiction in the federal and state courts of California. You agree to receive service of process through certified mail or by other means sanctioned by law, and you expressly waive any claim of improper venue and any claim that such courts are an inconvenient forum.
Indemnification. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold The HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL harmless from any claim, expense or demand, including without limitation reasonable attorneys´ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your breach of this Agreement, or your violation of any law or the rights of a third party.
By agreeing Submitter agrees to abide by all the Terms laid forth in the General Festival Rules listed for HRIFF, including:
GENERAL FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Film must not currently have major distribution in United States that conflicts with exhibition dates at the HRIFF festival.
- HRIFF will only accept international films that have been dubbed into English or subtitled.
- All DVD submissions will be pre-screened by 6 or more separate screeners.
- Festival show times are subject to delay or change.
- Any filmmaker or entourage acting aggressively or disrespectful to any of the staff or employees of the festival may have their films pulled from exhibition, press. and web at any time.
- ALL FEES are non-refundable.
- FIlmmakers wishing to screen 35mm must provide 35mm film print 14 days before date of screening.
- All winners who wish to have their films screened will have to provide the festival immediately with a high quality DVD copy of the film upon being accepted to the festival. In case of non-recipt of functioning Exhibition Print HRIFF may use any Preview or Review screeners submitted.
- HRIFF reserves the right to refuse service.
- Al films submitted for review are consenting permission to have HRIFF publicly screen the film submitted (at least) one time in the next 48 months as to be determined by HRIFF.
- By submitting your film for review submitter is a) admitting copyright of film and images and b) granting permission to use the images and content from the submission in advertisements and promotions both for any screening of the submitted film, but also in any promotions for HRIFF in general for the 36 months following first receipt of the submission, granted that the film is accepted to the festival.
- By submitting you agree HRIFF has the right to screen your film, if accepted, during the 2016 festival with no additional exhibition fees or charges to the festival from filmmakers or film copyright owners.
- Festival is not responsible for broken or non-functioning films.
- Submitters must be 18 years of age or older (or have your parent/guardian to submit on your behalf) to enter the competition.
- By submitting with any payment, you are agreeing to abide by these terms, rules, and guidelines.
Copyright. All content contained on HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL (HRIFF) website, including but not limited to photographs, text, graphics, logos, icons, images and software (collectively, "Content"), is the property of HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL and is protected by U.S. and/or international copyright laws.
Risk of Loss. You acknowledge and agree that your only remedy for failures, delays or interruptions with respect to the ordering of and delivery of passes ordered by you is limited to a refund for such passes, issued at the discretion of the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL.
Right To Enter. Entrants warrant that they have the legal right to enter film work to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL. As Director/Producer/Submitter of the Film, entrants have submitted and represent and warrant to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL that the Film and all parts thereof are original; that the Film does not contravene the rights of any person or entity and that entrants own or control the Film and all parts thereof and have the sole authority to submit the Film to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL; the Film entrants submitted to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL is not subject to nor threatened by any litigation. Entrants acknowledge that no fiduciary or confidential relationship now exists between the Festival and entrants, and entrants further acknowledge that no such relationship is established by these guidelines, the submission of the Film, or by the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL'S acceptance, review or retention of your submission (film, screenplay, etc.).
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR ATTENDANCE AND PARTICIPATION AT HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL EVENTS, OR ENTERING INTO ANY HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL EVENT, CONTEST, FESTIVAL OR COMPETITION IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND TO YOU, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. SPECIFICALLY, THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, AND FITNESS.
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY YOUR RELIANCE ON CONTENT OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR CAUSED BY YOUR CONDUCT.
THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED OR SECURE ACCESS TO THE WEBSITE, AND THE OPERATION OF THE WEBSITE MAY BE INTERFERED WITH BY NUMEROUS FACTORS OUTSIDE OF OUR CONTROL.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENCIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH ATTENDANCE AT ANY EVENT / ENTERING ANY COMPETITION / SUBMITTING ANY WORK FOR REVIEW OR SCREENING, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION FOR LOST PROFITS OR BUSINESS, OR ANTICIPATED LOST PROFITS OR BUSINESS, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBLITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL AND ITS AFFILIATES AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE WEBSITE OR THIS AGREEMENT IS LIMITED TO $200.