CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
|Should be funny, either directly or indirectly.
|Should be moving and dramatic.
|Should be significantly animated. Live action, special-effects heavy pieces qualify.
|Should be one-song or piece and under 15 minutes.
|Should be scary and fear/anxiety provoking.
|Should be nonfiction intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction or maintaining a historical record.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Rumschpringe ADVR & The Ware Center of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, present the 2013 Rumschpringe International Short Film Festival.
In its sixth year, the film festival seeks to support the independent digital film community by offering a competitive film festival to inspire and motivate while developing Lancaster, Pennsylvania, into an annual destination for short film aficionados to experience the best of the contemporary art form.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Rumschpringe International Short Film Festival (RISFF) is based in downtown Lancaster, Pennsylvania, amidst a charming colonial brick brackdrop surrounded by miles of farmland. It is the longest, continuously running film festival in Lancaster County within a cityscape of arts endeavors only a short distance from NYC, Philadelphia and the Baltimore-Washington area. In the past, the film festival was presented at Penn Cinema (2008, Lititz, PA), the Stahr Performing Arts Center (2009, 2010, 2011, Lancaster, PA), Tellus360 (2011, Lancaster, PA), and The Ware Center | Milllersville University Downtown Campus (2012, Lancaster, PA.)
There are six categories: Comedy, Drama, Animation, Music Video, Horrow & Documentary. Submissions should not exceed 40 minutes.
All entries are submitted for review by a panel of judges chosen from the Lancaster (PA) community. The judges will decide the Official Selections and the winners of each category ($100), then a second round of judging will determine (from the 6 category winners) the recipient of the Grand Prize ($1000). Judges will also identify from the Official Selections a Best Actor ($100) award. There will be two other special awards: an Audience Choice Award (determined by the endorsements of ticket purchasers) and the Home Grown Award --bestowed on the best short film created by a Lancaster County Team or Theme ($250). All of these will be announced and presented at the Awards Ceremony on 2 November 2013. (While you do not have to be present to win an award, we are attempting to have the award-recipients, who are unable to attend, connect live via Skype.)
The 2013 RISFF will be based at The Ware Center | Millersville University Downtown (Lancaster, PA), however the presentation dynamics will be determined following the Final Deadline for Submissions. The Festival will commence on 1 November 2013 and run throughout the weekend. The exact schedule will be available on or around 1 October 2013.
Film-makers of all levels are encouraged to enter the competition/festival. Previous winners have included students, hobbyists, and professionals. Our judges are keen on promoting lower-budget shorts for accolades. (That is, an engaging story and clever editing can beat a high budget submission.)
Michael Hoober (Creative Director)
; Michael Hoober (Creative Director)
Rumschpringe ADVR presents an Open-Call Short Film Competition with Cash Prizes. The outcome of the competition will be determined by a panel of judges composed of regional (Eastern Pennsylvania) faculty members, filmmakers, and other community representatives. (See website for more information about the jury.)
The submission/entry may not exceed 40 minutes. You may choose one of 6 categories: Comedy, Drama, Animation, Music Video, Horrow & Documentary. Judges will consider your Entry from the category’s general perspective. Entries may be in more than one category; however, an entirely new submission is required for each category.
The RISFF will be held at The Ware Center | Millersville University Downtown in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, the first weekend of November 2013.
The RISFF will include all Official Selections from each category. Awards will be announced at the closing of the Festival. Winners who are unable to attend will receive their prize via USMail shortly thereafter.
Submissions should not exceed a traditional R-rating. The film festival will be presented in clusters of age-appropriate ratings. Thus, the higher the rating (G, PG, R --applied by Rumschpringe) the more restricted the audience may be. The Rumschpringe rating system bears a common sense resemblance to the MPAA system.
Best Comedy = $100; Best Drama = $100; Best Animation = $100; Best Music Video = $100; Best Horror = $100; Best Documentary = $100 From the above winners, a Grand Prize will be identified = $1000, as well as a Best Actor = $100 (The Grand Prize winner will receive $1000, not $1100 and the Best Actor prize should be delivered to the individual actor.)
There are two Special Awards: the Audience Choice Award has no cash value but will be determined by ticket purchasers; and, the Home Grown Award ($100) will be bestowed on the best short of any category with a Lancaster (PA) based team or theme.
(The award money will be given to the individual who completed the submission. In most cases this is the director or producer; however, this should all be clear between the director/producer and Best Actor.)
* Complete all sections of the Witiout-A-Box Entry Form and read/sign the Release/Agreement. (If you are under 18, you may need your parents to read/sign as well.)
* A separate Entry Form and Entry Fee is required for each submission. While a single film could be entered in more than one category, a new Entry Form/Fee will be required for each.
* There are 6 categories. An Entry may be submitted in multiple categories; however, are only able to win in one category --the one in which you place highest.
* No judge or anyone directly affiliated with Rumschpringe International Short Film Festival may enter the competition.
* Submitted materials will not be returned unless otherwise arranged.
* Foreign language submissions must have English subtitles. (Foreign language submissions are highly encouraged.)
* Entries may be excerpted or played in full for TV, website and/or other promotional purposes as connected to the Rumschpringe International Short Film Festival. Please notify (in writing) any press restrictions within your entry package.
* RISFF accepts no responsibility for loss or damage of entries during shipment via snail mail. Please inquire if you have not received a confirmation of receipt within 7 days of sending in the film.
~~We highly encourage submissions through Without-A-Box~~
* Rumschpringe International Short Film Festival accepts no responsibility for the use of copyrighted or appropriated image/sound in submitted works. The filmmaker(s) accepts full responsibility in securing permission and/or properly crediting copyrighted images and sound. If a submission does not demonstrate proper permission, Rumschpringe will contact the filmmaker and it will need to be fixed promptly or the entry may be disqualified (without refund.)
* A category must have more than two entries to be judged and win the Best of Category designation. If, following the close of the submission process, there are two or fewer entries in any category, Rumschpringe will contact the filmmakers/directors and discuss options with the possibility of a refund.
* Filmmakers/directors/entrants are encouraged to use Without-A-Box's Secure Online Screener. It should be clear that if your submission is selected for presentation in the film festival a hard copy in an acceptable format will need to be delivered digitally/online or via the post/mail within 14 days.
* Entering a film/video indicates acceptance of Rumschpringe International Short Film Festival's submission Terms And Conditions.
* The availability of Entry Fee Waivers will be announced following the Early Bird Deadline. Terms of the Waivers will be identified if/when they are granted. Apply for an Entry Fee Waiver by contacting the email address below.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to email or check out:
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I, the undersigned and submitter, acknowledge and agree as follows:
1) I have read, understood and complied with all eligibility requirements for this film’s submission.
2) To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements in the online documents required for the submission process and the statements below are true.
3) This film/entry is not subject to litigation nor is threatened by litigation.
4) I am authorized to submit this film/entry to the Competition.
5) I understand that it is a violation of certain State and Federal Laws, including Federal Copyright Laws, to use the original works of others without permission.
6) I have secured all necessary rights and permissions for the film/entry to be exhibited in the Feature Presentation, including, but not limited to, releases for music, talent, photographs, and images (including those photos/images provided to the Competition to be used for publicity purposes), as well as any other rights/permissions to use the work of another party.
7) I agree to indemnify and hold harmless Rumschpringe ADVR and its agents from claims, damages or loss that may result from my failure to secure any necessary rights/permissions, including claims of copyright infringement and unauthorized use.
8) By submitting my film to the Competition, I agree to allow Rumschpringe ADVR both presentation rights of the Entry, as a product within Rumschpringe International Short Film Festival (i.e., to show at screenings) and limited distribution rights (i.e., to be featured on the eventual Rumschpringe International Short Film Festival DVD, digital downloads, and/or television presentations.) Filmmakers/submitter will be notified if/when these limited distribution rights are activated.
9) I release and hold harmless Rumschpringe ADVR and its agents from damage to or loss of the print/entry en route to the submission address.
10) I will abide by the decisions of Rumschpringe International Short Film Festival programmers and judges.
11) I understand that violations noticed regarding any of the above may result in disqualification from the Competition without refund
I have read and agree to all of the Rumschpringe International Short Film Festival Submission Guidelines & Regulations and certify that I am authorized to submit this film entry to the film festival.