CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
|Accepted films no longer than 30 minutes.
|Accepted student short films no longer than 10 minutes. ***PROOF OF VALID HIGH SCHOOL ENROLLMENT REQUIRED***
|MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Script 101 Collegiate Screenwriting Contest is sponsored by Northwest Ohio Screenwriters in collaboration with the Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival to celebrate and promote screenwriting among college and university students.
ABOUT THE CONTEST
The contest is the creation of two university professors, Danny Kellermeyer from the University of Northwest Ohio and Margot Cullen of Ohio Northern University, founders in 2012 of Northwest Ohio Screenwriters. The winners will be recognized at the Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival that takes place from September 19-22, 2013 at the Veterans Memorial Civic and Convention Center of Lima/Allen County, Ohio. The winning scripts will be featured at a table read by actors at the festival and honored at the festival Gala.
This contest includes the first 15 pages of an original script.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival has been created to provide a cultural alternative to the commercial film experience, celebrating and promoting the artistic elements of the medium, and to nurture and promote the art of filmmaking itself. The NWOFF is meant to be a base to utilize, enjoy, learn, and discover, as well as becoming a workplace of inclusion and respect, with a focus on the development of creativity and ideas from independent filmmakers from around the world.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Hailing from the hometown of Glee and Phyllis Diller - Lima, Ohio, The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival takes place from September 19-22, 2013 at the beautiful Veterans Memorial Civic and Convention Center of Lima/Allen County. For three days, the Festival will showcase the best independent feature, short and high school student produced films from around the world. Panel discussions and Q&A's hosted by artists in the industry will give the audience an insiders look at the filmmaking process. The Festival will conclude with its annual Awards Gala & Dinner. Last Year, comic icon Phyllis Diller was given a Lifetime Achievement Award for her contributions to film and television a month before her highly publicized passing. Hundreds of filmmakers are discovering Lima as the new hotbed of indie cinema...Join the Revolution.
Len Archibald (Director); Len Archibald (Director)
2013 OFFICIAL GUIDELINES AND RULES:
1. We accept nearly all genres of film and video including, but not limited to narrative, experimental, documentary, fantasy, noir, musical, western, sports, television, sci-fi, animation, horror, action, adventure, comedy, drama, mystery, thriller, biography, PSA, news, viral, crime, parody, children's, video art, etc. Please do not submit any pornographic or teenage exploitation films.
2. Cost of shipping and insurance both ways must be paid by the entrant.
3. All screening tapes, press kits, publicity info, photos, etc. will be retained as part of 5th Level Entertainment's library, unless they are specifically requested to be returned and return shipping cost is provided.
4. All filmmakers will be notified of acceptance status by August, 2013 (approx.- TBA).
5. Upon 7 day advance request, filmmakers selected for the 2013 NWOIFF will receive TWO non-transferable Courtesy Passes to all festival events.
6. Films presented at NWOIFF are eligible to win applicable awards for The Grand Prize, Outstanding Achievement for Actor, Actress, Director, etc. announced at the Gala Awards Dinner, Sunday, September 22nd, 2013.
7. Regardless of original format, all films must be submitted for pre-screening on NTSC DVD or Blu-Ray (region 0 or 1) and all accepted entries must submit a screener-copy on NTSC DVD or Blu-Ray (region 0 or 1) , or via WAB's secure digital screener no later than August 8, 2013.
8. The NWOIFF is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items, including films in any medium, while en-route or in our possession, on or off of festival grounds.
9. All fees are non-transferable and non-refundable.
10. NWOIFF retains the right to accept or decline any film, for whatever reason, without notice or explanation.
REQUIRED ENTRY ITEMS
*Non-refundable entry fee money order in U.S. currency made payable to The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival (if not paid online through www.withoutabox.com.)
* TWO (2) DVDs: Mark your disc and case with the title, running time, your name, and contact information.
* PROOF OF HIGH SCHOOL ID if submitting in High School Film Category.
OPTIONAL ENTRY ITEMS
*publicity photos (optional, but encouraged)
*press kit, publicity info, news articles (optional, but encouraged)
*self-addressed, stamped, envelope or card (SASE/C). if you want to know if we have processed your entry, we will return the envelope/card soon as we open your entry package!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
2013 OFFICIAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
I. Certification of Film Entrant
II. Film Submissions
III. General Waiver Rules and Guidelines
I. Certification of Film Entrant:
I, the undersigned, acknowledge and agree as follows:
1. I have read, understand and fully comply with all submission eligibility information, Submission Guidelines, Terms and Conditions of Entry and Entry Eligibility requirements.
2. To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements in this document are true;
3. This production (feature, short, documentary, or other media) is not subject to any litigation nor is threatened by any litigation;
4. I am duly authorized to submit this production to the competition;
5. I hold The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival (NWOIFF) harmless from any damage to the print(s) or tape(s) or media en route or otherwise during the course of the festivals possession of the film;
6. I hold The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival, LLC. (NWOIFF), The Northwest Ohio Film Foundation (NWOFF), 5th Level Entertainment, its management, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, and etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from my entry.
8. I certify that I have full rights to the use of the music in the production.
9. I give permission for the NWOIFF to use excerpts of up to three minutes of the production for promotional purposes, unless otherwise noted in attached writing and submitted with entry.
10. I give permission for the NWOIFF to use stills, titles, copy, and/or information from the production for promotional purposes.
11. I give permission for the NWOIFF to screen the production at the 2013 NWOIFF event. Any screening at ancillary Festival presentations, programs, and/or events will be handled under a separate agreement after acceptance.
12. Submitter must own all copyrights; (If requested) must be able to provide model/actor release verification if requested; must be able to provide music, product and other copyright licensing verification if requested. Submitter/Producer agrees to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film.
13. I give my permission for the NWOIFF to share my film and contact information with NWOIFF festival partners unless I specify otherwise.
14. Entry does not guarantee acceptance into NWOIFF festival or other NWOIFF events.
II. FILM SUBMISSIONS
1. SUBMISSION FORMAT: All Festival submissions should be sent on either DVD (NTSC Format only), or submitted through Withoutabox as an online screener. DVDs and paper cases (rather than jewel cases or amaray cases) are preferred with the title and WAB Entry Number clearly printed on the DVD itself.
2. SUBMISSION LENGTH AND GENRE: The NWOFF is open genre; meaning we accept all forms and genres that would be deemed within a G, PG, PG-13, R, or NC-17 rating by NWOFF staff. For student submissions, we accept all forms and genres that would be deemed within a G, PG or PG-13 rating by NWOFF staff. We do not accept pornographic entertainment. Short form submissions are under thirty (30) minutes. Long form (feature length) submissions are forty (40) minutes and up within a reasonable running time. Student submissions are no longer than ten (10) minutes in length and REQUIRE PROOF OF HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT IDENTIFICATION to be accepted under the "Student" category.
3. Submissions WILL NOT be returned.
4. MULTIPLE ENTRIES are allowed.
5. PRODUCER / FILMMAKER / COPYRIGHTS: submitter (filmmaker or producer) will be referred to as producer or submitter. Producer must own all copyrights; must be able to provide model/actor release verification if requested; must be able to provide music, product and other copyright licensing verification if requested. Producer agrees to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film.
6. SUBMISSION DEADLINES: Submissions with postmarks prior to February 1, 2013 and after August 8, 2013 will not qualify for entry into the festival.
7. ENTRY FEES: View the "Call for Entries" to note fees and deadlines. Entry fees are non-refundable. If your entry fee is not received with or prior to your submission, your entry may be deemed disqualified at the discretion of The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival.
8. ORIGINATING FORMAT: Film and Digital originating formats are accepted for submission.
9. PRESENTATION FORMAT: DVD, Blu-Ray and 35mm is the preferred format for exhibition. If accepted into The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival, producers must be able to provide DVD or Blu-Ray (NTSC) for digital presentation, even if presented in 35mm.
10. DATE OF COMPLETION: Films must have been completed by January 1, 2012.
11. PREMIERE/DISTRIBUTION STATUS: We accept submissions that have premiered elsewhere; submissions may NOT have distribution agreements already in place. TV, theatrical, video, cable, pay-per-view, other festival, or other distribution outlets that run concurrently or in the same month of the festival may not be eligible for screening. Decisions made at NWOFF discretion.
12. LOSS OR DAMAGE: Every precaution will be taken to prevent or loss or damage to materials while in the possession of the festival. However, Producer agrees to release the NWOFF from responsibility should any materials be damaged while in transit to or from, or while in the possession of the NWOFF.
13. ROUGH CUTS AND INCOMPLETE PROJECTS: Always try to send the best representation of your project. Rough cuts ARE NOT permitted to be entered in contest. All films must be completed and received by July 1, 2013 if chosen as an Official Selection .
14. NWOFF MARKETING: By submitting producer is consenting for use and copying of accepted projects for the purpose of promoting The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival and future festivals. Producer is giving NWOFF permission to use up to three minutes of submission to promote the festival.
14a. NWOFF JURY AND MEDIA COPIES: If selected as an Official Selection, Producer hereby agrees to provide 5-10 DVDs, or will allow the NWOFF to make the necessary copies, to make submission available to NWOFF jury members and to media.
15. NWOFF EXHIBITION AND SCREENING: By submitting to the festival, if chosen as an official selection, Producer is hereby granting permission for The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival to exhibit Producer's submission in The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival event.
16. SCREENERS AND JURY: All screening, selection, and jury decisions are final. Our panel of jurors and our screening committee use a rating system on entries and official selections. They screen many fine films; however, as with all festivals there is limited programming availability. By entering The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival and any of its contests, Producers are verifying that you understand entry does not guarantee a screening. Additionally, being chosen as an Official Selection does not guarantee a screening in the theater either. The NWOFF may have Official Selections (non-competitive) as well as Official Selections (competitive screening). Decisions are final and at the discretion of the NWOFF.
17. OFFICIAL SELECTIONS: If chosen as an official selection, the NWOFF will request acknowledgement of your acceptance and additional materials. If any of the requested materials are not received by the festival in the time allotted, it is at the discretion of the festival to keep or remove the project as an Official Selection.
III. SCREENPLAYS (any length)
a. Entered script must not be or previously been optioned, sold, or produced by a studio on a large budget. We do accept scripts that have been produced if the writer was involved in making an independent production. Projects in question will be deemed eligible at the discretion of the NWOFF.
a. Any genre can be entered.
b. Screenplay must be original work of the author or authors.
c. Multiple authorship is allowed.
d. Multiple entries are allowed, but each entry must be accompanied by their own completed entry form and their own appropriate entry fee. You are allowed to mail them to us in one package.
e. No corrected pages or additional pages will be accepted after the screenplay has been entered. PLEASE be sure you double check your screenplay for errors, blank pages, etc., before mailing them to us.
3. Script Guidelines:
a. Submitted Scripts MUST be in English.
b. Do not send originals as scripts will not be returned.
c. Printed Scripts must be in industry standard format and bound with 2 or 3 brads.
d. Body pages must be correctly numbered.
e. Script title page should clearly provide the title of the screenplay and the WAB Tracking Number. Writer's name is optional.
f. Must be on white paper.
g. Covers must be card stock.
h. We do accept and prefer .PDF, Microsoft Word, Final Draft, and TEXT documents. Electronic submission in one of these formats is preferred.
i. Script Length: Any
j. Failure to comply with the guidelines, rules, regulations, or eligibility may be cause for disqualification.
If you are NOT paying through Withoutabox's payment system please make Money Orders payable to: The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival and include them with your submission. Personal Checks are NOT permitted.
Copies of all media provided for NWOFF competition purposes, will not be returned, unless you provide (at the time of submission) a prepaid, self-addressed envelope for such reason.
- Finalists to be presented in the festival will be listed on our website as soon as the schedule is perfected.
- Winners at The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival will be listed as such on our website as early as possible at the conclusion of the festival and that info will be retained on the site as long as practical.
- Finalists to be presented in the festival will be contacted by email or phone prior to this date.
- Finalist must send their finished - festival showing version of their film, which must be provided on DVD or Blu-Ray & Region 1 only. It is the responsibility of the Finalist (Entrant) to make sure the DVD plays successfully before submitting.
- All films in languages other than English must be subtitled or dubbed in English.
- Please read the NWOFF Terms of service prior to making your submissions. The entrant is responsible for reading and understanding these terms of service
- All submitters shall be responsible for obtaining clearances for copyrighted materials and The Northwest Ohio Independent Film Festival shall be held harmless in cases where clearance has not been obtained.
- Label all media with exact running times, WAB#, and film title in a readable form please.
- If you want to submit an alternate version of your film(re-edit, different music, etc.), it must be postmarked by the normal festival deadline of July 1, 2013.
Press Kits, Trailers
- It is suggested that all entrants provide press materials with their entry, it will be permissible to simply download media for this purpose from a site or have it emailed to us, we provide a presentation in the lobby at the festival and it is desirable to include Bios and Trailers in this presentation.
- Press materials may be submitted after you have been accepted if you desire, this will give you time to create media and may save you on shipping costs. Of course analog and digital press kits are always welcome when received with your entry.
- Submission of an entry to this festival signifies that the entrant understands, accepts and agrees to rules and conditions that are described here.
- All cash and non-monetary awards will be given to the primary applicant (entrant / submitter).
- If you have ANY questions or you have a concern please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IV. GENERAL WAIVER RULES AND GUIDELINES
a. General. By entering this Contest, entrants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. All taxes (including, without limitation, federal, state, and local taxes) on or connected with any prize (including, without limitation, prizes that are opportunities to make donations to a charitable organization), and the reporting consequences thereof, are the sole and exclusive responsibility of respective winners.
b. All prizes awarded in connection with the Contest are nontransferable and non-endorsable. No substitution of prizes is permitted. Release, Waiver and Indemnification. By entering the contest, entrants release and hold the promoter and host and all other contest entities harmless from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the contest or participation in any contest-related activity or resulting directly or indirectly from acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize awarded in connection with the contest, including without limitation personal injury, death, and/or property damage, as well as claims based on publicity rights, defamation, and/or invasion of privacy. The promoter, the host and contest entities do not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of an entrant's intellectual property rights, if any, respect to any submission or concept, reviews, material, video and/or other materials provided in connection with the contest.
C. By entering the contest, entrants release, waive any claims with regard to, and hold harmless the promoter, the host and the contest entities from and against any and all claims of any kind that are or could be asserted with respect to any matter relating to the contest. Entrants further agree to indemnify, defend and hold the promoter, host and all other contest entities harmless from any and all damages, liabilities, fees and cost incurred in defending against any third party claims or threats of claims asserted against promoter, host and/or other contest entities arising from any entrant's participation in or conduct associated with the contest.
d. Nonperformance of any party shall be excused to the extent that performance is rendered impossible by strike, fire, flood, earthquakes, war, governmental acts or orders or restrictions, or any other reason where failure to perform is beyond the reasonable control, and not caused by the negligence of, the nonperforming party. Governing Law and Waiver of Damages. The Contest and these Official Rules are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Ohio, United States of America , without regards to its principles of conflicts of law. For any dispute not subject to arbitration according to the above, entrant agrees to personal jurisdiction by the federal and state courts located in Lima, Ohio, United States of America, and waives any jurisdictional, venue, or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
e. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby irrevocably waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than participant's actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with participating in the Contest), and entrant further irrevocably waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.