OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES • Select a Category of Entry to continue.
|U.S. Feature Films
|Films 40 minutes or greater are considered feature films. In order to qualify as an U.S. Feature Film, more than half of the submitted project's financing must originate from inside the United States.
|U.S. Short Films
|Films 40 minutes or less are considered short films. In order to qualify as a U.S. Short Film, at least half of the submitted project's financing must originate from within the United States.
|Films over 40 minutes are considered features. Apply to this category if you have a Non Narrative Non Fiction film.
|Documentary Short Films
|Films 40 minutes or less are considered short films. Apply to this category if you have a short documentary film.
|Animated Short Films
|Films 40 minutes or less are considered short films. Apply to this category if you have a short animated film.
|International Short Films
|Films 40 minutes or less are considered short films. In order to qualify as an International Short Film, at least half of the submitted project's financing must originate from outside the United States.
|International Feature Films
|Films 40 minutes or greater are considered feature films. In order to qualify as an International Feature Film, at least half of the submitted project's financing must originate from outside the United States.
|Action Sport Films
|Films based on high-impact action sports with a focus on Extreme Motorsports, Bike, Surfing, Snowboarding, Skateboarding and Adventure.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Celebrating its 16th year, the Malibu Film Festival ® is a premier showcase for U.S. and international independent film.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
A program of the non-profit Malibu Film Foundation, the Malibu Film Festival has introduced Los Angeles area audiences to some of the most ground-breaking films of the past decade.
Malibu Film Festival caters to savvy, affluent individuals who care about the finest offerings. Malibu Film Festival brings together people, films and filmmakers among an affluent and powerful community. Each year Malibu Film Festival is coveted among the residents of Malibu as well as the surrounding cities. Known for its quality cutting-edge programming, Malibu Film Festival attracts an affluent, local, national and international consumer base, while maintaining strong ties with the entertainment industry in Los Angeles.
David Katz (Executive Director); Mike Hollindrake
The accepted exhibition formats for our festival are:
NOTE: These formats may vary depending on the category. Please check the submissions guidelines or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
All films must be in NTSC format. PAL is not accepted. It is the filmmakers responsibility to convert PAL to NTSC.
**FEE WAIVERS NOT AVAILABLE **
-Entry fee is non-refundable.
-For preview purposes, DVD (NTSC only) or On-line Screeners are preferred. DVDs MUST BE CLEARLY labeled with film title, running time,tracking #.
-More than one entry may be submitted. Each entry must be accompanied by its own online entry and entry fee.
-If your film is selected, original format prints will be due at the Festival offices no later than August 3, 2015.
-The filmmaker will assume shipping costs of materials and print.
-Please DO NOT send in a press kit until AFTER you have received notification from Malibu.
-If your film is selected, you will be asked to provide: digital stills from the film; press materials; video trailer and digitized trailer for website (if available); posters and flyers.
-Titles produced in languages other than English must have legible English subtitles.
-Not all invited films officially selected will be eligible for competition.
-The selection committees' and juries' decisions are final.
-If selected, filmmaker gives Malibu Film Festival permission to audio-describe film for the sight-impaired.
-Title of work, WAB ID #, and name of entrant must be on all mailing containers and mailing labels, disc covers, drives, photographs, film containers, cans, reels, and film leaders. Film reels and cans must be numbered (1 of 2, 2 of 2, etc.).
-If paying by check, the check MUST include the film title and WAB ID #
-Import declaration statements: all non-U.S. entries must be sent via air mail registered with the declaration:
A) for 35mm films: "Free entry claimed under #724.10 (960.55) U.S. Tariff Act. To be returned following the Festival."
B) for Video Discs: "Free entry claimed under #724.12 (960.60) U.S. Tariff Act. To be returned following the Festival." Entrants must assume all responsibility for clearing films and videotapes through U.S. and/or foreign customs officials.
-Malibu Film Festival reserves the right to make any necessary changes in regulations or Festival scheduling.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I agree to the terms outlined in the General Festival Rules for the Malibu International Film Festival. The Malibu International Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Malibu International Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening materials entered.
1. I, the representative of the project being submitted (the "Film"), acknowledge and agree as follows in connection with the Film's submittal to Malibu Film Foundation (the "MFF") for consideration for the Malibu Film Festival (the "Festival"):
2. I hereby represent and warrant to the Festival that (a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights in the Film, to exhibit this Film
at the Festival, (b) this exhibition will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity and (c) the Film is not subject to litigation nor is it threatened by any litigation.
3. I further represent and warrant that, to the best of my knowledge, the exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity and that my Film does not constitute a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from the exhibition of the Film in connection with the Festival.
4. If accepted, I acknowledge that the Festival's presentation of the Film does not create any confidential or fiduciary relationship between the Festival and I. I understand that I will not receive any compensation for such exploitation, although some prizes at the Festival may include cash awards. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by or may be implied against the Festival or the Malibu Film Foundation because of the Festival's selection of the Film. I understand and acknowledge that the selection of my Film by the Festival does not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by the Festival or the MFF of the content of the Film or any opinion expressed therein.
5. I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the MFF, the Festival, the affiliate, subsidiary and parent entities of each, and the officers, directors, employees, attorneys, advisors and agents of each of the
foregoing from and against any and all claims, losses, or liabilities (including reasonable attorneys' fees) that may be asserted against any of the foregoing or incurred by any of the foregoing at any time in connection with the Film or the Festival's use thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the Institute or the Festival.
6. In the event that the Film is accepted into the official Festival program, myself and all other parties involved with the Film agree that the Film will not associate with nor receive support from corporations
during or related to the Film's participation in the Festival that are not Official sponsors or supporters of the Festival without prior written consent of the Institute. Methods of support include: hosting a dinner, party or junket for or in conjunction with the Film, providing media space for roundtable or one-on-one interviews, etc. The MFF is a non-profit organization that relies on the funding of our official sponsors and supporters to produce the Festival. For an official list of sponsors and supporters, please refer to the contributors list at http://www.malibufilmfestival.org. If you have been approached by a company or corporation that does not appear on this list, they are NOT officially aligned with the Malibu Film Festival.
7. If accepted, I hereby grant without reservations, to the Institute, the Festival, and their related entities (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from the Film for promotional purposes and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide contact information for the director and producer(s) of the Film and grant the Festival the right to provide this information to film industry organizations sponsoring Festival events at its discretion.
8. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my state, I have provided a written consent from my parent or legal guardian. I agree that any controversy arising out of or in connection with my Film and the Festival will be governed by the internal laws of the State of California and conclusively determined by arbitration in the City of Los Angeles in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association before a single arbitrator mutually agreed by the parties. I hereby waive any and all rights and benefits which I might otherwise have or be entitled to litigate any such dispute in court, including without limitation a trial by jury.
9. I acknowledge that I have read and understood these rules and regulations for submitting a film to the Festival.
10. By clicking "I Agree" below, I constitute my full and complete acceptance of the terms hereof. I acknowledge that no oral representations of any kind have been made by the MFF or the