DECISIONS ALREADY MADE
• This event has already made decisions and notified
submitters for the current cycle. Submissions are no longer being
|Narrative - Feature
|The MSP International Film Festival accepts feature length narratives of all categories, genres, and niches. Films submitted under this category may be invited by festival programmers to participate as either an Official Selection or in the Emerging Filmmaker Competition (1st or 2nd Feature).
|Narrative - Short
|The MSP International Film Festival accepts short works of animation, experimental, music video, and narrative fiction. Films submitted under this category may be invited by festival programmers to participate as an Official Selection. Historically, shorts less than 15 minutes have had a higher success rate of acceptance.
|Minnesota Made - All Lengths
|A film is considered eligible for inclusion in the Minnesota Made category when a combined 50% or more of production and postproduction took place in Minnesota. Eligible films for this category: Feature Length Narrative, Feature Length Documentary, Short Narrative, Short Documentary, Animation, Music Video. Minnesota Made films are exempt from the submission fees (excluding the "Late" & "WAB Extended" deadlines).
|Documentary - Feature
|The MSP International Film Festival accepts feature length documentary films of all categories, genres, and niches. Films submitted under this category may be invited by festival programmers to participate as either an Official Selection or in the competition for Best Documentary Feature.
|Documentary - Short
|The MSP International Film Festival accepts short documentaries. Films submitted under this category may be invited by festival programmers to participate as an Official Selection. Historically, shorts less than 15 minutes have had a higher success rate of acceptance.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
To foster a knowledgeable and vibrant appreciation of the art of film through a commitment to exhibiting the very best of contemporary and historical independent, local, national and international cinema. In doing so, we inform our audiences about the cultures, histories, cutting-edge news and filmmaking artistry from countries around the world.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
About the Festival:
The Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival, the largest film event in the region and a 501(c)(3) non-profit, celebrates its 33rd year in 2014. Returning to Minnesota April 3-19, 2014, this diverse and highly anticipated celebration of independent cinema annually showcases more than 250 international, national, and local independent films, and welcomes the attendance of more than 150 filmmakers and artists from around the world. The vast majority of these films would never be discovered in the region outside of their participation in the Festival.
Historically lauded for being one of the world’s finest showcases of Scandinavian films, the Festival has grown to incorporate an eclectic lineup of World, US, and Regional Premieres from more than 65 countries annually, and provides filmmakers with a platform to test their films on an astute, genuine and responsive audience of more than 40,000.
The Festival presents the following awards:
EMERGING FILMMAKER AWARD:
· The film must be the director’s debut or second feature
· The film must be a feature length narrative
· The film must not have US distribution at the time of selection
BEST DOCUMENTARY AWARD:
· The film must be a feature length documentary
MINNESOTA MADE AWARDS:
All films submitted as Minnesota Made are entered into competition and submission fees are waived for qualifying submissions. Awards are given for Best Minnesota Made Narrative Feature, Documentary Feature, Short Doc and Short Narrative.
· A combined 50% or more of production and postproduction on the film must have taken place in Minnesota.
AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARDS:
Audiences cast their votes in the categories of Best Narrative, Documentary, Short Narrative, Short Doc, Minnesota Made Narrative, Minnesota Made Documentary, Minnesota Made Short Doc, and Minnesota Made Short Narrative.
Alex Wolf (Festival Registrar)
; Jesse Bishop (Festival Registrar)
; Jesse Bishop (Programming Manager)
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE 2014 FESTIVAL:
1) Films completed after to January 1, 2012 are eligible for consideration for the 2014 Festival.
2) Minnesota Premieres are required of all U.S., International, and Minnesota Made Feature-length and short form submissions. Films that have been previously publicly screened within the state of Minnesota are not eligible for submission.
3) Submissions must not have broadcast or televised, or be publicly available in their entirety online prior to their date of exhibition in the Festival.
2) Foreign language (non-English) submissions must be available in their original language and soundtrack with English subtitles.
4) Films that have been submitted for consideration in previous years are eligible for submission for 2014 Festival consideration only if they have undergone extensive changes and reapply as a new submission.
The following submission requirements must be met before a submission can be considered. Submission materials will not be returned.
1) Completed Withoutabox Submission Form (online).
2) Submission Fee. Payment is accepted via Withoutabox or via money order made out to The Film Society of Minneapolis St. Paul. Submission fees are waived for films submitting as Minnesota Made by the Early or Regular deadlines. No other waivers will be granted.
4) Submissions must include an online (Vimeo preferred) or DVD (Region 0 or 1) screener. Vimeo links to online screeners should be be included in the Withoutabox Cover Letter.
5) Hard copy DVD submissions must be shipped prepaid and postmarked by the applicable deadline, submitted in paper sleeves and marked in permanent ink with the following information: Film Title, Withoutabox Tracking Number, Run Time. Hard copy DVD submissions should be sent to: Attn: Submissions, MSP International Film Festival, 125 SE Main St., Ste 125A, Minneapolis, MN 55414
Note: Please do not attach labels directly onto hard copy DVD submissions – this may render your submission unplayable.
REQUIREMENTS FOR FILMS SELECTED FOR EXHIBITION:
1) Feature Length Films:
i) Must be available for exhibition in one of the following formats: DCP (preferred), HDCam, or Blu-ray.
ii) Three additional DVD copies must be immediately sent to the Festival’s offices for press requests.
iii) Exhibition copies must be delivered to the Festival office by March 27, 2014.
2) Short Films:
i) Must be available in ProRes, H.264, or similarly low compression/high quality format/codec to be compiled onto a digital shorts reel.
ii) Files must be sent to the Festival office immediately upon notification of acceptance on a hard-drive, thumb drive, or be made available for download. The Festival does not provide an FTP site for file transfer.
iii) Short Films may also be accepted as DCP.
i) An Electronic Press Kit with high-resolution production stills, trailers, official synopsis, filmmaker bios, promotional postcards and posters should be sent to the Festivals offices for marketing purposes.
ii) Exhibition Copy Shipment: The film must be shipped prepaid, insured, and properly packaged. The Festival does not assume liability for damage to prints due to improper packaging or other reasons. All films while in our possession will be insured against loss and damage while participating in the event.
iii) Ship to Mailing Address:
MSP International Film Festival
125 SE Main Street, Suite 125A
Minneapolis, MN 55414
Submission notification will be sent on or around February 16, 2014.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I, the authorized representative of the project being submitted (hereafter called the “Film”) acknowledge that I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests in or relating to the Film (hereafter called the “Film’s Owners”) to submit to the Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that the Film is being submitted voluntarily and without promise or inducement, and that the submission of the Film neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival or The Film Society of Minneapolis St. Paul (hereafter called The Festival) to accept the Film for inclusion in The Festival, to exhibit the Film at The Festival, to acknowledge the submission of The Film, or to return the submission copy of The Film or associated submission materials to me or others. I shall indemnify and hold harmless The Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Film at or in connection with The Festival. I understand that The Festival reserves the right to waive or adjust any requirements outlined herein. By clicking “Submit Now” below I warrant that I have read, understood, and accept all aforementioned regulations and requirements pertaining to submission to The Festival.