CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
|Feature Length Script
|Feature screenplays should not exceed 130 pages and should be properly formatted and submitted via PDF.
|TV scripts should not exceed 75 pages and all material should be properly formatted and submitted via PDF.
|Short screenplays should not exceed 30 pages and should be properly formatted and submitted via PDF.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Los Angeles International Screenplay Awards is the motion picture industry's premier screenplay competition, with judging panels comprised entirely of working, established Hollywood pros focused on discovering, promoting, and producing the works of new writing talent.
Our team has been instrumental in helping writers sign with major talent agencies (CAA, WME, ICM, et al), and has sold original material to major Hollywood studios, including Universal, Paramount, Fox, and Warner Bros.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The LA International Screenplay awards is proud to present our elite panel of judges: Stuart Benjamin (Ray), Bob McCullough (Star Trek, Soldier of Fortune), Ron Friedman (Transformers, G.I. Joe), Michael Sloan (The Equalizer, Kung Fu), Jerry London (Hawaii Five-0, Shogun), Garner Simmons (Poltergeist, The Last Samurai), Suzanne Herrera (Zorro, Falcon Crest), plus many more!
If you're serious about your writing... so are we. And if your writing is good enough for Hollywood... we can do something about it!
We look forward to reading your screenplay and seeing you on the winner's stage!
Brigid McCuen (Director of Operations)
COPYRIGHT AND OWNERSHIP
L.A. International Screenplay Awards or any other partner, employee or agent associated with these awards claims no ownership in, nor first right of option to, any original screenplay submitted to us. All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted remains with the original rights holders until and unless other agreements are made.
All fees submitted are non-refundable.
SUBMISSION CONDITIONS AND RELEASE
BY SUBMITTING YOUR MATERIALS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS. You agree to release and hold harmless L.A. International Screenplay Awards, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, prize contributors, judges, screenplay readers, sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting your submission of material, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s submission of materials and/or acceptance or use or misuse of prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the script by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the L.A. International Screenplay Awards and its sponsor, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or entrant’s use or misuse of Prize. Employees of L.A. International Screenplay Awards and their immediate families are ineligible to submit materials. Any such submission will be immediately disqualified. SUBMISSION OF MATERIAL IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED or restricted by any Federal, State or Local law. Voided submission fees will be refunded. Recipients’ eligibility will be verified before the grant is awarded and the winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
l am hereby submitting the above-listed screenplay or teleplay (the "Script") to the Los Angeles International Screenplay Awards competition (the "Competition"). If this Script is written by more than one person, I understand that the reference "I" herein shall apply to and be binding upon each party, jointly and severally.
The Los Angeles International Screenplay Awards judging panel includes professional writers, agents, producers, and executives; the studios and companies with which they are affiliated are in no way official sponsors or endorsers of these Awards. The top finalists will be chosen based on the following criteria: originality, story, characterization, dialogue, current marketability, and overall writing quality. Official Selection awards finalists will be notified by email and may be contacted by interested industry representatives, such as managers, agents or producers. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges’ verification of eligibility. Grand Prize and 2nd Place Winner announcements will be made within two weeks following final submission deadline. Finalists may be required to sign and return within seven (7) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and a Release and Indemnification and any other documents that L.A. International Screenplay Awards may require before receiving prize payment. Failure to respond to the initial notification within ten (10) days or return of notification will result in disqualification. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.
I recognize that the Competition, its officers, employees, representatives, sponsors, judges, and affiliates, have wide access to ideas, materials, stories, themes, plots, suggestions and scripts, many of which are similar to each other and which may be similar to my Script. I understand that new ideas are constantly being submitted to you, and I further recognize that you may now or in the future have other projects in development which are similar to my Script in theme, ideas, story, plot, title, format, or other respects, and that such projects may originate with and/or be acquired from other sources, including without limitation your own officers and employees, either before or after the date of my submission. I appreciate and understand the concern that reviewing my Script without this signed release of liability might expose you to a claim of plagiarism, idea theft, or claimed existence of an implied-in-fact contract or other claim or litigation. I also understand that, in light of this concern, you would refuse to review my Script in the absence of this Release, and that this Release limits the types of claims which I can assert against you with regards to the Script. Therefore, as an inducement to you to evaluate my Script, and consideration thereof, I hereby acknowledge and agree to the following Terms and Conditions:
1) I affirm that I have read, understood, and complied with all the official Contest Rules and I hereby request that you read, evaluate, and judge my Script. I understand that the Competition entry fees are non-refundable, and that any failure to adhere to the Rules, Regulations, Terms and Conditions of the Competition may result in disqualification. I further understand that the Competition reserves the right to refuse any submission at its discretion. In the event the Competition refuses a submission, it will refund in full the entry fee paid for that submission.
2) I represent and warrant that I am at least 18 years of age. I warrant that I am the author of the Script and the sole and exclusive owner of all rights thereto, and that I have the full and exclusive rights to submit the Script to the Competition. I warrant that the Script is not currently under option and has not been purchased by any third party, that there are no disputes regarding ownership of the Script, and that no rights or permissions are required from any third parties. I further warrant that the Script does not invade or defame the rights of any person, living or dead.
3) I acknowledge that the enclosed Script was created and written by me without any suggestion or request from the Competition, and that my submission of the Script is completely voluntary and was not solicited by the Competition. No fiduciary or confidential relationship exists between us, nor is there one intended or created by reason of this Release and/or my submission of the Script. I also acknowledge and agree that there is no agreement between you and me, express or implied, relating in any way whatsoever to the use of or failure to use the Script; that no agreement or obligation of any kind may be assumed or implied by reason of my submission of the Script or by reason of any communication that we may have; that I am not entitled to any compensation for review or evaluation of the Script; and that you have no obligation to me of any kind whatsoever except as specifically set forth herein.
4) I understand that the Competition accepts no liability for the loss or non-receipt of the Script. I further understand that the Competition will not and is not obligated to return the Script or any other materials I have submitted to the Competition. I have retained at least two copies of my screenplay or teleplay, and I hereby release the Competition of and from any and all liability for loss of, or damage to, the copy of the Script submitted hereunder.
5) I hereby indemnify and hold harmless the Competition, its officers, employees, representatives, readers, judges, sponsors, and affiliates, individually and collectively, from and against any and all claims, demands, costs, damages, judgments, expenses (including attorney's fees), losses or liabilities arising out of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties, whether or not groundless, based on the Script or any other materials submitted by me to the Competition.
6) I hereby waive and agree that I will never assert against the Competition any claim or action based on plagiarism, infringement, confidential or fiduciary relationship, implied contract, idea theft, unfair competition or any other theory arising in connection with the Script, and I understand that the Competition accepts no liability whatsoever for the unauthorized use of all or part of my Script by any person. In this regard, I hereby absolutely release and forever discharge the Competition of and from any and all claims, liabilities, damages, legal fees, costs, expenses, debts, actions, and causes of action against you of every kind whatsoever, now and in the future, in connection with this submission.
7) I agree to abide by the decisions of the Judges with regards to all matters relating to the Competition, including those decisions involving their sole discretion, and I understand that unless I have ordered Judge's Feedback in conjunction with my entry, the Judges are not obligated to provide any feedback to me regarding my submission.
8) In the event that I am named a Finalist or Winner, I hereby grant the Competition the nonexclusive right to use my name, photograph, and likeness in connection with any and all publicity and promotional activities relating to the Competition.
9) I hereby agree that any dispute between us shall be submitted to arbitration in the County of Los Angeles, State of California, in accordance with the rules and regulations of the American Arbitration Association then in effect. The arbitrator's decision shall be controlled by the terms and conditions of this Agreement and shall be final and binding. If I am unsuccessful in such arbitration, I agree to pay all costs and expenses, including without limitation any and all attorney and expert fees, which may be incurred by you in connection therewith. I understand that this Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of California and federal laws applicable to agreements made and performed entirely in California. [Notice for California Users: Under California Civil Section 1789.3, California users are entitled to the following specific consumer rights notice: The Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of the California Department of Consumer Affairs may be contacted in writing at 400 R Street, Suite 1080, Sacramento, California 95814, or by telephone at (916) 445-1254 or (800) 952-5210.]
10) I acknowledge that this Release contains the entire agreement between us, and may not be modified or amended unless by a written document signed by each of us. Should any provision(s) of this Release for any reason be declared invalid, void or unenforceable, such provision(s) or part(s) thereof shall be deemed omitted, and the rest of the agreement shall remain in full force and effect.