CLOSED FOR THE SEASON • Information may be outdated. Add this
event to your Watch List and set a Remind-Me if you want to be notified
when the next Call For Entries is posted.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Urban Mediamakers Festival (UMF) is a not-for-profit, charitable 501(c)(3) organization of content creators supporting independent projects produced by or featuring people of color — animation, digital apps, film, music, new media, print, television, video, web series. Guided by past wisdom and reflecting the new and exciting generation of new technology, we are dedicated to thinking out of the traditional box as we pursue our dreams courageously telling stories about our communities.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
"Changing the World, One Interactive Story at a Time" is the theme of the 17th Urban Mediamakers Festival (UMF), October 11-16, 2018 in Atlanta and Lawrenceville, Georgia. Recognizing creative content as powerful tools of choice for entertaining, informing and inspiring, this annual six-day festival showcases diverse independent media emphasizing work produced by or featuring individuals of African, Black, Latin and Asian descent.
UMF brings an exciting and creative atmosphere that encompasses cultural diversity, with independent content creators and movie lovers together under one roof!
Actors, artists, developers, designers, entrepreneurs, filmmakers, graphic designers, musicians and writers have an opportunity to gain project exposure, compete for the best-of-the-best with prizes in each category, attend industry-related educational series, along with excellent networking and collaborative relationship building.
See a diverse group of superb, international films that are not available in mainstream theaters.
The festival includes:
-- opening reception and premiere.
-- script reading featuring a scene from the top three screenplays in competition.
-- independent film screenings.
-- workshops and panels.
-- Videopalooza youth screening series.
-- UMFF 2018 Hackathon - content creators app development
-- Urban PitchFest 2018
-- AfroFuturism Festival 2018
-- Distribution deal for all official selections with UrbanFlixToGo (except web series, PSA, commercials)
-- distributors seeking independent films.
-- awards presentation and closing event.
-- closing night film.
-- audience award.
-- filmmaker and writer collaboration sessions (SpeedCollabs).
-- winning films showcased in the Urban Mediamakers Content Creators Tour in the year following the festival throughout the Southeast, Las Vegas, NV, Los Angeles, CA and Santa Monica, CA.
Participants attending UMF will have an opportunity to network with their peers and executives for collaborations on future projects, as well as interact with an audience that supports independent digital content.
YOUR project or script will make our festival phenomenal! Submit to UMFF 2018 today!
Peace and blessings,
Cheryle Reynolds (Festival Director); Cheryle Reynolds (Producer)
Urban Mediamakers Festival Rules
1. The Board of Directors of the Urban Mediamakers Festival and guest judges will select projects which will be presented in the competition and for screening. Each official selection will receive a Certificate of Participation.
2. Only projects that meet the following criteria may be chosen as official selections:
i) Films that have been produced during the 36 months preceding the Urban Mediamakers Festival;
ii) If participating in the “Short Film” category, films should not exceed 30 minutes in length, including credits.
iii) Official selections that are 30 minutes or shorter must be prepared to provide electronic copies of their projects for exhibition. Online preview and DVDs may be submitted for screeners.
3. Three (3) months before and throughout the duration of the Festival, none of the films selected may be shown outside the Festival’s official theatres before its official screening.
4. Once a film has been selected it cannot be withdrawn from the Festival programme.
5. All non-English speaking films must be presented in their original version with English subtitles. All subtitling expenses are to be met by the film’s producer.
6. The Board of Directors selects all members of the jury for competition and screening. Each jury member will vote by a secret ballot. No person having taken part in the production or promotion of a film in competition may be on the jury.
7. The jury is obliged to award the:
The best project in each category: AfroFuturism (Black Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror), Animation, Shorty Short, Short, Music Video, Feature, Documentary (Short & Feature), Animation, TV/Web Series, Scripts, Commercials, Trailers, PSA.
8. All projects to be submitted for the official selection must be entered and postmarked by midnight on August 15, 2018. An entry form must be completed for all submissions.
10. All projects must reach the Film Festival office by September 1, 2018.
15. If your film is selected you will be notified on or before September 7, 2018.
16. On being selected you must supply to us your work in film, Blue-Ray or digital/electronic copy of the film on jump drive, or external hard drive by September 1, 2018.
17. Any supporting marketing and PR material available for the projects selected must be supplied by the September 1, 2018.
18. The Festival office can provide you with further details if your project is selected.
19. Any expenses for the shipping (for both import and export), screening and translation of projects and media presented to the selection committee with a view to their possible selection, are to be met by the film’s producers or relevant body.
All expenses for the transportation and insurance of prints are also the responsibility of their owner.
20. If your project is selected for exhibit at the Festival, it is the requirement of the Festival that you put forth all effort to attend the festival, at your own travel/lodging expense to promote and support your film, and collect your award.
21. The Film Festival office has the power to settle all cases not covered by the present rules and regulations.
22. Participation in the Festival implies acceptance of all the aforementioned regulations and respect of submission and screening conditions. Furthermore by completing the initial online submission form (you/ your company) agree to the Festival’s terms and rules.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Urban Mediamakers Festival Terms and Conditions
Please read carefully the following terms and conditions. “They” refer to your entry materials to the Urban Mediamakers Festival. You must accept these terms and conditions before your entry can be considered.
• I/We attest that I/we have read and understand and complied with the Rules of Entry of the Urban Mediamakers Festival, that I/we am/are the sole owner(s) of legal right and title thereto have absolute authority to submit the Material to the Urban Mediamakers Festival.
• I/we understand that by submitting said Material, I/we authorize the Urban Mediamakers Festival to exhibit the Material during the 2018 Urban Mediamakers Festival dates, if the Material is selected for exhibition by the Urban Mediamakers Festival.
• I/we will indemnify and hold harmless the Urban Mediamakers Festival, its organizers, judges, sponsors, and partners, individually and collectively, from and against all claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, liabilities and expenses including legal expenses arising out of or in connection with any and all claims, or third party claims based on Material submitted to the Urban Mediamakers Festival.
• I/we understand that the Urban Mediamakers Festival is not responsible for any type of damage to or loss of the Material while it is in the Urban Mediamakers Festival’s possession, or while en route to or from the Urban Mediamakers Film Festival, and I/we release the Urban Mediamakers Festival, its organizers, judges, sponsors, and partners, individually and collectively, from any and all liabilities regarding damage to or loss of the Material while en route to or from the Urban Mediamakers Festival or while in its possession.
• I/We agree that any dispute arising between me/us and the Urban Mediamakers Festival shall be subject to binding arbitration pursuant to the then effective Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association. The arbitrator shall have the authority to award all appropriate relief, including equitable or injunctive relief; provided, however, that the arbitrator is not authorized to award punitive damages. The award issued by any such arbitrator may be entered and confirmed as a judgment in any court of competent jurisdiction. The state with jurisdiction over any disputes relating to this agreement is Georgia, and the sole location for proper venue is Norcross, Georgia.
• Urban Mediamakers Festival finalists and winners will permit the Urban Mediamakers Festival to use their name, contact information and/or likeness and publicity stills, film or video footage, title, and logline of Material, in pre- and post-competition publicity and promotional efforts.
• The Urban Mediamakers Festival may, at its own discretion, transfer the submitted Material to a compilation DVD for Urban Mediamakers Film Festival screening and the resulting DVD may be used for Urban Mediamakers Festival promotional purposes. However, said compilations are not sold or distributed by the Urban Mediamakers Festival.
• Should Material win one or more awards “Award(s)” at the Urban Mediamakers Festival, I/we am/are authorized and/or empowered by all parties legally representing Material to name the individual(s) listed on the Award Designation List to receive any and all Award(s). If Material is eligible for Award(s) and no one was designated to accept it/them, the Award will be deemed forfeit and another award winner will be chosen.